Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wednesday Q & A : Sam Humphries

Marvel.com: Sam, what makes the current ULTIMATES story the perfect jumping on point for readers, in your opinion?

Sam Humphries: America has turned a corner, and with it, the cast and status quo of ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES have emerged into a new era. The United States have come out of war once again united, and our heroes have emerged from battle, once again a team, with a new mission: keep the fragile unity from splintering all over again.

Marvel.com: Overall, what kind of a story is “American Reconstruction”?

Sam Humphries: President Cap has inspired unity and the Ultimates have defeated the immediate threats looming over America. Will the Ultimates be able to protect that delicate peace from menaces both overt and secret? Will America step up to the task of forming a stronger union?

Marvel.com: As a writer, what are the challenges in a big-idea move like "President Cap"?

Sam Humphries: Writing Captain America is like flying a jet plane. You can do crazy amazing stuff with something so turbo charged! And while you're in the air, there's some hot dogging and artistry to what you're doing. But if you don't have a flight plan, you're in trouble. And you sure as hell better bring it back in one piece, because that sucker is worth a billion dollars.

Marvel.com: From where does the Black Widow draw for her leadership abilities? What will be her biggest hurdles as she becomes the head of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Sam Humphries: From her years as a top-shelf S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Monica Chang has big-picture skills. She doesn't let ego get in the way of making the right decision. She's a badass with the respect of the rank and file as well as the Ultimate. And she's a mother—you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril.

Marvel.com: You’ll be using the Ultimate versions of Scorpio and Hydra; where do you begin as a writer with such new interpretations for the Ultimate world? What are your needs and wants?

Sam Humphries: Is it new? Is it surprising? Is it respectful of the versions that came before it? Is it fun to write? Will it be badass to read?

Marvel.com: What's the ultimate, coolest thing about writing ULTIMATES? What makes you satisfied about it at the end of the day?

Sam Humphries: ULTIMATES is like “Watch the Throne” during the Super Bowl halftime, broadcast from the heart of the Sun. It's the biggest characters on the biggest stage with a mandate to take them to new places. That's the goal.
    Eaton is doing a nice job with the art, would have been nice if we could have had him as the ongoing artist :/

The art does look great in this. I wonder where Humphries will take this whole Hydra thing since they've pretty much been beaten.
    Comics are more better.

I swear I don't understand a word he said and my english is not that bad. I like the art though, hopefully this arc is better than the last.

On Vacation

Hey wasn't that the same satellite that Hulk jumped off of?

BANNED

Sam Humphries: Writing Captain America is like flying a jet plane. You can do crazy amazing stuff with something so turbo charged! And while you're in the air, there's some hot dogging and artistry to what you're doing. But if you don't have a flight plan, you're in trouble. And you sure as hell better bring it back in one piece, because that sucker is worth a billion dollars.
    See, here's the problem. Ultimate Cap shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars.

Sam Humphries: From her years as a top-shelf S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Monica Chang has big-picture skills. She doesn't let ego get in the way of making the right decision. She's a badass with the respect of the rank and file as well as the Ultimate. And she's a mother—you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril.
    WTF has running SHIELD got to do with being a mother???!!!

Sam Humphries: Is it new? Is it surprising? Is it respectful of the versions that came before it? Is it fun to write? Will it be badass to read?
    So that's a No then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    See, here's the problem. Ultimate Cap shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars.
    Did you read what he said? It was a metaphor.

WTF has running SHIELD got to do with being a mother???!!!
    Again... did you actually read the interview? Or are you just trying to criticize Humphries whenever you can?
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Did you read what he said? It was a metaphor.

Again... did you actually read the interview? Or are you just trying to criticize Humphries whenever you can?
    Do you not think I made a valid point, or are you just trying to criticise me whenever you can. Of course it was a metaphor, and a bad one at best.

Do you not think I made a valid point, or are you just trying to criticise me whenever you can. Of course it was a metaphor, and a bad one at best.
    My point was, in the metaphor, Captain America isn't flying the plane. So saying "Captain America shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars" doesn't apply at all. As for your second point, your question was literally answered by piece of the interview you quoted. So no, I don't think you made any valid points.

BANNED

My point was, in the metaphor, Captain America isn't flying the plane. So saying "Captain America shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars" doesn't apply at all.
    I never said he was flying plane. The metaphor implied that he was the plane. Humphries pointed out how much of a big responsibility it is writing him. Except that I believe he's blown that responsibility, turning Ultimate Cap into more like his 616 counterpart. I know you find Humphries to be a pretty good writer, giving nearly every one of his issues a fairly highly score, but I disagree completely.

As for your second point, your question was literally answered by piece of the interview you quoted. So no, I don't think you made any valid points.
    Talk about valid answers.. I don't believe his was. He attempted to relate running SHIELD to motherhood. She can look after a child, so she can look after SHIELD? Again, I strongly disagree.

I never said he was flying plane. The metaphor implied that he was the plane. Humphries pointed out how much of a big responsibility it is writing him. Except that I believe he's blown that responsibility, turning Ultimate Cap into more like his 616 counterpart.
    Yeah, I understood the metaphor. Which is why your "Captain America shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars" comment makes no sense.

Talk about valid answers.. I don't believe his was. He attempted to relate running SHIELD to motherhood. She can look after a child, so she can look after SHIELD? Again, I strongly disagree.
    Except that's not what he said. He had a whole list of things:

1) From her years as a top-shelf S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Monica Chang has big-picture skills.
    2) She doesn't let ego get in the way of making the right decision.
    3) She's a badass with the respect of the rank and file as well as the Ultimate.
    4) And she's a mother—you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril.

He didn't say "She can run SHIELD because she's a mother." He essentially said "She can run SHIELD because she's qualified. Also, she has motherly instincts."

Did anyone else get the feeling while reading this that Humphries is aware of how poorly his run is being received and he is bitter about it? I mostly got that vibe from this answer

Is it new? Is it surprising? Is it respectful of the versions that came before it? Is it fun to write? Will it be badass to read?
    Maybe I'm reading way to much into it.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

BANNED

Yeah, I understood the metaphor. Which is why your "Captain America shouldn't care if it's worth a billion dollars" comment makes no sense.
    That's why it doesn't make sense? I find that a little bias.

Except that's not what he said. He had a whole list of things:

1) From her years as a top-shelf S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Monica Chang has big-picture skills.
    2) She doesn't let ego get in the way of making the right decision.
    3) She's a badass with the respect of the rank and file as well as the Ultimate.
    4) And she's a mother—you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril.

He didn't say "She can run SHIELD because she's a mother." He essentially said "She can run SHIELD because she's qualified. Also, she has motherly instincts."
    He said
    And she's a mother—you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril.
    This is a direct relation between mothercare and running Shield. Humphries literally suggested how her abilities as a mother help to make her a suitable candidate for running Shield.

Motherly instincts? What are they?

Only one question where is fury?
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

That's why it doesn't make sense? I find that a little bias.
    It doesn't make sense because it doesn't make sense to me. If Captain America IS the jet, then why wouldn't Cap care that it's worth a billion dollars?

He said
    This is a direct relation between mothercare and running Shield. Humphries literally suggested how her abilities as a mother help to make her a suitable candidate for running Shield.
    I'm well aware of what he said - I quoted it myself. My point was that it was ONE of the reasons; it was not the only reason. He said, first and foremost, that her experience in SHIELD makes her qualified to be a leader.

Motherly instincts? What are they?
    I honestly don't know if you're reading his post, because you keep asking questions that are answered by it. Her motherly instincts are protection. He lays it right out there - you ever try to get in between a mother and her baby? Well, now all of global security is her baby. Mess with that at your peril. I really don't know how he could be any more clear cut than that. But whatever, if you you don't understand it, then I see no reason to keep going in circles with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Only one question where is fury?
    He is on the Secret Avengers in 616
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!