Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

That reminds me: it bothers me when people say that Star Wars is a Western in sci-fi dress, when it's obviously a swashbuckler in sci-fi dress!

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Peckinpah called Junior Bonner a western. That's good enough for me.
    That is such a cool movie. It also stars Barbara Leigh, who would go on to be featured on covers of Vampirella in the iconic costume. And (of course), Steve "dated" her.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    That reminds me: it bothers me when people say that Star Wars is a Western in sci-fi dress, when it's obviously a swashbuckler in sci-fi dress!
    Complete with one-handed big scary pirate!

*Samurai movie in sci-fi dress, although I can see Han Solo as sort of a Western style gunslinger.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

More a samurai movie in a sci-fi dress actually since it was inspired off of an old samurai movie
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    More a samurai movie in a sci-fi dress actually since it was inspired off of an old samurai movie
    it has elements of the old samurai movies and westerns

the scene where he goes home and finds his family charred is out of "The Searchers"
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    it has elements of the old samurai movies and westerns

the scene where he goes home and finds his family charred is out of "The Searchers"
    Also the whole premise around rescuing Princess Leia in A New Hope is based off of a samurai film called The Hidden Fortress

I'm sorry, there are elements of both westerns (the cantina, Han's chracter), and Akira Kurosawa's samurai movies (Obi Wan as the wise old samurai, the entire Jedi code is folkloric samurai and ninja stuff - also lots of stylistic stuff in the direction from Kurosawa) in Star Wars - but when you take the movie as a whole: the plucky group of rebels who strike a blow against the tyrannic government, a combination of sword/person-to-person battles with ship-to-ship battles (in this case spaceships, but in swashbucklers naval battles), and the overall bright and adventurous tone is totally out of Errol Flynn swashbucklers. It's The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood!

I'm sorry, there are elements of both westerns (the cantina, Han's chracter), and Akira Kurosawa's samurai movies (Obi Wan as the wise old samurai, the entire Jedi code is folkloric samurai and ninja stuff - also lots of stylistic stuff in the direction from Kurosawa) in Star Wars - but when you take the movie as a whole: the plucky group of rebels who strike a blow against the tyrannic government, a combination of sword/person-to-person battles with ship-to-ship battles (in this case spaceships, but in swashbucklers naval battles), and the overall bright and adventurous tone is totally out of Errol Flynn swashbucklers. It's The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood!
    One could even say Star Wars is a fantasy film, in space. It pretty much have the standard classic fantasy formula. A group of heroes saving the princess from an evil warlord, joining a rebel team to overthrow an evil kingdom/empire, with usual sword and sorcery thrown in the mix. Even Luke's storyline represents the classic heroes journey in a fantasy setting. Han could even be some anti-hero pirate who helps the heroes. So just about every type of genre from, Western, Samurai, Fantasy, Errol Flynn Swashbuckling films, and even some horror elements have influenced Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    I just found "On Demand" a film with two of my fav actors that I haven't seen yet. It's called The Missouri Breaks starring Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson. The trailor looks good but I'm wondering if anyone has watched it before and if its worth the time.
    It's good. Brando is cool in it. It's one of those movies were you end up rooting for the bad guy because, well, it's Brando...

One could even say Star Wars is a fantasy film, in space. It pretty much have the standard classic fantasy formula. A group of heroes saving the princess from an evil warlord, joining a rebel team to overthrow an evil kingdom/empire, with usual sword and sorcery thrown in the mix. Even Luke's storyline represents the classic heroes journey in a fantasy setting. Han could even be some anti-hero pirate who helps the heroes. So just about every type of genre from, Western, Samurai, Fantasy, Errol Flynn Swashbuckling films, and even some horror elements have influenced Star Wars
    The genre used to be called space opera and was around in pulp books for ages when Lucas ripped it off...

A few extra titles:
    Major Dundee is an awesome film in its own right, and Rio Bravo is just about a quintessential western... Johnny Guitar is also impressive.

Quigley Down Under?

How about Star Trek as "Wagon Train to the stars"?

Yeah: the farm boy, wizard and pirate save the princess from the dark knight.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

There are a ton of Gene Autry films On Demand and I'm wondering if any are worth checking out?

Quote Originally Posted by AdA View Post
    It's good. Brando is cool in it. It's one of those movies were you end up rooting for the bad guy because, well, it's Brando...
    Thx 4 the recommendation

I thought the train robbery was pretty funny and like the performances from Brando and Nicholson. The film is good but it really didn't hold my attention like I thought it would. The last half hour really picks up though and the ending was good.
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 12-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by AdA View Post
    The genre used to be called space opera and was around in pulp books for ages when Lucas ripped it off...
    I wouldn't say he ripped off the genre. The genre existed for anyone to do his or her take on it. Some have alleged that he ripped off specific authors, which can be argued back and forth but at least one can build a case one way or the other.

No genre, or even subgenre, belongs to anyone who works in it.