Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Dec 12, 2012

After seeing the trailer for "Man of Steel," Brett White looks inward and examines his super-apathy towards the first superhero, Superman.

Full article here.

BANNED

Someone let me know if he has anything to say beyond "blah blah too powerful, no flaws, etc." Won't click the link until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Someone let me know if he has anything to say beyond "blah blah too powerful, no flaws, etc." Won't click the link until then.
    He doesn't.

It's only worth a read if you want to see an X-Men fan say "I don't care about Superman," twice.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

As a fellow child of the 1990s, I must point out that Superman was not "nowhere to be seen." This article curiously overlooks the excellent Superman: The Animated Series. The Dean Cain live-action TV series was also on the air during this period.

I'm actually finding myself appreciating Superman more as I get older. Not enough to be interested in reading a comic with him on an ongoing basis, but enough to pay more attention to his other medium versions.

I think the thing is that for the archetypal Superhero, Superman actually is a far more difficult hero to use well than most other characters who fall in that category. He is a top level power, yet, unlike similar levels of powers in Marvel characters is neither conflicted in any major way (Hulk) or consistantly facing cosmic level threats above his means (Silver Surfer). This is problematic and why I wholeheartedly agree with the ethos that any hero always needs to struggle to succeed, and Superman's power levels make this difficult.

But this is maybe one of the strengths of the character - physically he probably needs a bit of depowering but the best stories with him that I've seen are the ones where you are challenging him morally in his point of view, which is an equally good way of pushing the character. Part of the real challenge will be making sure that his stance is sufficiently different from a Justice League team he might be on so that that aspect of him is more what sets him apart than necessarily his powers.
    Current Ongoing Pull List

She Hulk . Ms Marvel . Daredevil . Hawkeye

The truth is, though, I get that fix from the X-Men.
    Stopped reading there.

How typical.

I don't care for Superman, either, but you like some really awful superheroes for some really dumb reasons.

Very good article, if you read it.

I used to dislike Superman, too; but one day it just clicked.

The ultimate point he's getting at is quite good, but it takes a while to get there with some eye-rolling statements along the way.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Article translation; douche, douche, douche, douche, oh, people say Moore and Morrison's stuff is great, I'd better get on that bandwagon, pronto.

Anyone who actually thinks crap characters like Wolverine are better than Superman and Luke Skywalker can go play in traffic as far as I'm concerned.

He even says Batman couldn't compare to the X-Men, although I'm sure he also hates Cyclops, who at one time was a noble and heroic character in the Superman/Cap mold.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Article translation; douche, douche, douche, douche, oh, people say Moore and Morrison's stuff is great, I'd better get on that bandwagon, pronto.

Anyone who actually thinks crap characters like Wolverine are better than Superman and Luke Skywalker can go play in traffic as far as I'm concerned.

He even says Batman couldn't compare to the X-Men, although I'm sure he also hates Cyclops, who at one time was a noble and heroic character in the Superman/Cap mold.
    A darn shame whats happened to good old 'Clops. Sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    A darn shame whats happened to good old 'Clops. Sign of the times.
    Cyke was my favorite X-Man and one of my absolute favorite Marvel characters along with Cap and Thor. I hate how they've ruined him.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

It's okay to not care about Superman. Most people on the planet can go through a day without thinking of him once. What I find strange is that the author states that he wishes he cared about Superman. I think he should just do what most people do and read what he is drawn to. A very strange article.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    It's okay to not care about Superman. Most people on the planet can go through a day without thinking of him once. What I find strange is that the author states that he wishes he cared about Superman. I think he should just do what most people do and read what he is drawn to. A very strange article.
    Exactly. I find that saying to be strange and a bit lazy.

very many of us find ourselves more attracted to piercings and tattoos than a nice credit rating. It often takes a bit of maturing to value good for the sake of good, if it ever happens. Ultimately I think it's just easy to believe that something is too good for you, and gravitate towards something less on its own, that will meet you and satisfy you on a more base level and be likelier to stick with you.

Superman is a hero that's actually a hero, the first and very best. You don't have to like him, and if you don't, I have no idea what to tell ya. Especially if you know of the stories us fans like. CSBG is a great site for the question of "why Superman?"

I thought the article was the most pointless poorly written thing I've read in a while. If you don't read stories featuring a character you won't care about them. This is not science.