Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to handle the Eradicator

I was just wondering if we will ever see the Eradicator again and if so in what form.

Since the Krypton that produced it has been radically changed, it seems that the Eradicator should be handled differently as well.

How would you do it? Or is this concept better off left in limbo at this point?

Seems odd though, since Steel and Superboy seem to have survived the transition.

And what about Hank Henshaw?
    Life looks better in black and white.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Depends on what would the Eradicators aim is compared to other heroes. Personally, I like the idea of an anti-hero in a Superman garb who seeks the return of Krypton. In fact, this design of the Eradicator is the one I liked the most.

I think I would like the idea of an artificial construct rather then the whole 'human bonded to a machine' thing. But thats just me. I though would very much like to see the Eradicator return.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

I'd rather see a new version of him as the US Agent of Superman.

Overly proud Kryptonian (not from the El bloodline though), with superpowers (as in more than the average Kryptonian, which in this case would be Superman). Give him a militant and an anti-Earth, pro-Kryptonian hegemony. Give him a sense of good and evil, but make his sense of cultural superiority get in the way at times.

In other words, make him the Kryptonian equivalent of those old school British guys who used to go into Africa and condescend the hell out of them in the name of "civilizing" them. A good guy, but borderline Zod like.

Oh, and I liked his old-school 90s costume more.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    I was just wondering if we will ever see the Eradicator again and if so in what form.

Since the Krypton that produced it has been radically changed, it seems that the Eradicator should be handled differently as well.

Seems odd though, since Steel and Superboy seem to have survived the transition.

And what about Hank Henshaw?
    The Eradictor really is simple to execute you start off with a Kryptonian relic that is hell bent on preserving all of Krypton being activated. It tries to brainwash Superman to make him a "proper" Kryptonian. Superman overcomes the brainwashing flings the relic into the Sun. The energy of the sun allows to Relic to create its own body. It returns to earth to recreate Krypton. It create a Kryptonian Fortress in the Arctic. When it tries to continue with its plan it is seemingly destroyed by Superman. Eventually it returns helping Superman to defeat a powerful opponent, it's programming having been reset to its original goal of protecting Kryptonian life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    I'd rather see a new version of him as the US Agent of Superman.

Overly proud Kryptonian (not from the El bloodline though), with superpowers (as in more than the average Kryptonian, which in this case would be Superman). Give him a militant and an anti-Earth, pro-Kryptonian hegemony. Give him a sense of good and evil, but make his sense of cultural superiority get in the way at times.

In other words, make him the Kryptonian equivalent of those old school British guys who used to go into Africa and condescend the hell out of them in the name of "civilizing" them. A good guy, but borderline Zod like.

Oh, and I liked his old-school 90s costume more.
    Didn't read this carefully...thought you meant something like the Kryptonian equivalent of L-Ron..a sarcastic, condescending Kryptonian butler, dogging Superman everytime he does something for earth....

Hmmm...actually, that's not a bad idea....

Left in Limbo. Henshaw, too, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Left in Limbo. Henshaw, too, if possible.
    Why don't you like them?

I always thought the Cyborg made a decent villain, even if he wasn't always used well. Same for Eradicator.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Why don't you like them?

I always thought the Cyborg made a decent villain, even if he wasn't always used well. Same for Eradicator.
    I like the version Harbinger of the Apocalypse posted. But the one from Reign just looked dorky, and they've told enough stories with Eradicator that I think I'm good for the foreseeable future. I just don't need any more.

As for Henshaw, they ran him completely into the ground. I'm just sick of seeing him. He wants to be dead, let him be dead.

Between the two, I'd much rather see Eradicator again than Henshaw. But I don't need to see either. I'd rather the writers moved on to new ideas and characters.

Henshaw was one of the best things to happen to the Superman mythos in the 90s. He definitely deserves a new reintroduction into the New 52. That's what the relaunch is for after all, updated concepts. It shouldn't be held against him that Johns poached the character for GL and kinda screwed him up. Only question is whether Johns is humble enough to allow his role in the largely unchanged GL saga to be retconned out so he can be properly reintroduced as the Superman villain he is.

But I digress, Eradicator(s) have already been mentioned, so hopefully there's some ideas swirling around to bring a humanoid version back into the mix sometime.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-15-2012 at 06:52 PM.

I keep thinking the Eradicator role is already being taken by H'El though.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I keep thinking the Eradicator role is already being taken by H'El though.
    LOL, I didn't even notice H'El.

He completely fits what I wanted out of Eradicator. Except he's a villain right now.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    LOL, I didn't even notice H'El.

He completely fits what I wanted out of Eradicator. Except he's a villain right now.
    Didn't Lobdell imply H'El wasn't outright evil, though? Maybe once we see more of the story arc there will be seeds planted to allow some version of H'El to survive it in a less criminal (but still antagonistic) role.

What its kinda sounding like to me is that the initial pitch for H'el had him as the new Bizarro. But much like the Maxima/Reign situation last year editorial decided that it should be a new character instead. Who knows though, maybe he will end up an "Eradicator". We've only heard it mentioned, not seen it or anything. And to be honest I can't even remember what issue nor even the title it was mentioned in off the top of my head.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Personally, I liked the idea of the Eradicator being an artificial intelligence. It just makes him more inhuman and different. We tend to see quite a lot of Kryptonians from Phantom Zoners to Kandorians and others. So, having a machine construct seeking to resurrect Krypton is something different compared to living beings.

Also, I think I read some articles about H'el that say he is more like the nu-52's Bizarro.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Does anyone have a link to the interview where Lobdell talks about what H'el originally was going to be?