Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel comics' Supermen.

Well, I must admit, this list make me think how much Marvel loves Superman, specially with a movie soon to debut.
    Do you agree or not with the names proposed?
    Part Kryptonian, Part Asgardian, all Genius.

For the most part no. A lot of the connections are on thin string and the rest shouldn't even be there. I only agree with a few of the names posted.

BANNED

I'm not familiar with like 3-4 of them, but the ones I am, I don't see room to disagree.

Gladiator(arguably), Hyperion, and Omega, yes. The others, no. Sentry is the one that seems to get brought up most often, but he's not Superman; he's Marvel/Miracleman.

Ethan Edwards was a direct homage to superman including his birth origins. How when Galactus threaten the skrullworld , his skrull parents send him away from a doomed planet to earth where he was found by a farmer and his wife and raised to be a normal human child etc etc.

Last edited by marshal99; 12-14-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Do you agree or not with the names proposed?
    No not Cap, Captain America is a soldier he fought in WW2, had side kicks, saw friends die, punched Hitler....kinda got powers after taking the serum. He's not Superman and Supes never saw his friends die in the beaches of Normandy, the people of Krypton died when Supes was a baby in a basket so he has no real memories of Krypton
    Spider-Man he wears the same colors and works in media but almost everything else about Spider-Man is completely different QUOTE A secret identity ......ugh...98% of comicbook heroes have secret identies

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Gladiator(arguably), Hyperion, and Omega, yes. The others, no.
    Maybe there are also similarities with WonderMan, maybe its reaching. WonderMan has been regulated to being some actor or regulated to being a bad guy Sentry style....every once in a while a writer tries to put him back into Avengers but after a while nobody takes him serious. Thor's character is completely different but strength wise Stan wanted him to be Marvels answer to Superman
    and Count Nefaria (doing the SuperboyPrime or Henshaw role)
    Gladiator always felt the closest for me but the way Marvel runs and the way its universe is structured with mutants, civil wars and heroes like Punisher and Wanda going psycho,
    a true Superman character will never ever work at Marvel
    Last edited by Whirlwind Dinamo; 12-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Gladiator and Hyperion are obvious. The actual Marvel counterpart to Superman is Thor. He's not a character that is supposed to be the Superman of Marvel as much as he is the closest thing Marvel has in a character to Superman and is sort of what Superman may have been had he been a Marvel creation. If a blue costume and a red cape is enough to remind people of Superman, then Thor has all that. Plus, don't forget Sigurd Jarlson.

Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Well , Marvel do have their own lois and clark , they have made a couple of cameo appearances over the years.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/kentclrk.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind Dinamo View Post
    No not Cap, Captain America is a soldier he fought in WW2, had side kicks, saw friends die, punched Hitler....kinda got powers after taking the serum. He's not Superman and Supes never saw his friends die in the beaches of Normandy, the people of Krypton died when Supes was a baby in a basket so he has no real memories of Krypton
    For me, Superman's personality is the most important aspect. And in the regards of personality and morality and how he thinks, Cap is the closest thing to Superman. It's exactly what drew me to marvel in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Rao View Post
    For me, Superman's personality is the most important aspect. And in the regards of personality and morality and how he thinks, Cap is the closest thing to Superman. It's exactly what drew me to marvel in the first place.
    Maybe why Cap & Superman was affected the most in JLA/Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Maybe why Cap & Superman was affected the most in JLA/Avengers.

Just seeing that panel makes me feel like reading the whole story again right now.

Superman should never speak that way, for me Superman was 1978 Donner/Reeve closely followed by the 90s DCAnimated Superman
    Cap, I don't know he kinda went schizophrenic recently with the whole Civilwar, AvengersVsXmen thing...actually Marvel made a mess of Cap lately worse than this whole DCNu52.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind Dinamo View Post
    Superman should never speak that way,
    That was kind of the point of the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    That was kind of the point of the scene.
    I would add the Silver Surfer to an extent and Galactus. Of course Parker,
    Parker is the one that seemed most obvious. The Kents death and Uncle Ben always seemed similiar in effect on the heroes. Clark and Pete's glasses and sweater vest look is close too. Like Parker, Superman was frustrated that he may have caused his adoptive parents death.

I know that its a reach but with Galactus, his home world, when he was not Galactus, always reminds me of Krypton and his last survivor status too. The Surfer seems like an inverted Superman Origin and in some of those pre Surfer Silver Age Supes, Superman mopes on an epic scale just like the Surfer. Oh!!! Actually, when I first read Tom Strong the connection between Reed Richards and Supes also hit home... They both seem like TV dads from the 50s.
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 12-15-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Gladiator and Hyperion are obvious. The actual Marvel counterpart to Superman is Thor. He's not a character that is supposed to be the Superman of Marvel as much as he is the closest thing Marvel has in a character to Superman and is sort of what Superman may have been had he been a Marvel creation. If a blue costume and a red cape is enough to remind people of Superman, then Thor has all that. Plus, don't forget Sigurd Jarlson.
    I'm actually really surprised he wasn't mentioned. I agree Thor is Marvel's Superman in spirit if not in power set.
    I like swords.