Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is there a Batgirl and Batwoman title?

I'm new to comics so forgive me if the sense should be hitting me right in the face but seriously, I don't understand it. I don't really have anything against woman titles but what I'm saying is, what would I get from Batwoman that I can't get from Batgirl? Or vice versa

Because they're two different characters. Taaaadaaaa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I'm new to comics so forgive me if the sense should be hitting me right in the face but seriously, I don't understand it. I don't really have anything against woman titles but what I'm saying is, what would I get from Batwoman that I can't get from Batgirl? Or vice versa
    They're two different characters.

Why is there Superman AND Batman since they're both guys in capes?

Have you read both books to see if they're exactly the same or not?
    (If you have, let us know. We can clarify further if you still think they're the same afterwards.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.

As long as we're asking pointless questions:

Why do we have yet another thread like this?

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I thought Batwoman and Batgirl were the same character.There was like a year ago.I did some searching and I found out Batwoman is a much cooler character than Batgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They're two different characters.

Why is there Superman AND Batman since they're both guys in capes?

Have you read both books to see if they're exactly the same or not?
    (If you have, let us know. We can clarify further if you still think they're the same afterwards.)

I'm not meaning to offend or anything.. I didn't read any issues because I wanted to if it redundant or not.. I mean I know that Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl and that Batwoman is a lesbian from reading wiki but it makes me wonder why isn't their a bat boy? Or a Robin who's gay...I get the markerting reasons, I'm just wondering do people look at it that way? And if so, do people want or need a gay Batman?

I would have no problem I guess but um why can't Batgirl become Batwoman? I'm just gonna give everyone a headache. haha

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyOlsenMustDie View Post
    As long as we're asking pointless questions:

Why do we have yet another thread like this?
    I apologize for not searching for the topic. The thought just struck me..

I didn't read any issues because I wanted to if it redundant or not.. I mean I know that Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl and that Batwoman is a lesbian from reading wiki but it makes me wonder why isn't their a bat boy? Or a Robin who's gay...I get the markerting reasons, I'm just wondering do people look at it that way? And if so, do people want or need a gay Batman?
    You don't see what's offensive about this? Let's go over the reasons:

A) There are a Batman and four Robins, and you haven't said anything about their being redundant despite being very similar to each other, even more so than Batgirl and Batwoman, so I'm wondering if you think Batgirl and Batwoman are redundant because there doesn't need to be more than one female Bat-character, yet you're fine with there being five males. Why can't there be two Bat-females?

B) Batwoman wasn't made to be a "gay version" of Batgirl or anyone else. Batwoman is a completely separate character. In fact, pretend she is not related to the Bat-family at all. Pretend her name is Angrywoman instead, a character who happens to be a lesbian. By that token, yes, we have plenty of "other versions" of Batman running around, who may or may not be gay - non-powered male DC heroes. Wild Dog, Vigilante, all the Robins, Blue Beetle, &c. Just because a character is gay, that is neither the point of the character nor, necessarily, the appeal of the character, just a trait of that character. She is also Jewish but that doesn't get mentioned as much for some reason.

C) How do you know there isn't a gay Robin out there?

D) There is a Batboy out there but he's called Robin instead, 'cause it sounds better than Batboy.

(OK, that last one is not actually related to its being offensive, but just wanted to make that point and couldn't stop with the alphabet)

I would have no problem I guess but um why can't Batgirl become Batwoman?
    Because they are two separate characters who exist simultaneously. That and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other aside from some congenitally acquired similarities, such as a vagina and red hair.
    Last edited by JimmyOlsenMustDie; 12-12-2012 at 01:01 PM.

The character and their stories are completely different.

Batwoman's got her military background, is being blackmailed by a government agency, fights supernatural horrors, and has a well-developed cast, each with their own personal stories.

And Batgirl has PTSD and fight generic enemies with an even more generic cast.

You don't see what's offensive about this? Let's go over the reasons:

A) There are a Batman and four Robins, and you haven't said anything about their being redundant despite being very similar to each other, even more so than Batgirl and Batwoman, so I'm wondering if you think Batgirl and Batwoman are redundant because there doesn't need to be more than one female Bat-character, yet you're fine with there being five males. Why can't there be two Bat-females?

B) Batwoman wasn't made to be a "gay version" of Batgirl or anyone else. Batwoman is a completely separate character. In fact, pretend she is not related to the Bat-family at all. Pretend her name is Angrywoman instead, a character who happens to be a lesbian. By that token, yes, we have plenty of "other versions" of Batman running around, who may or may not be gay - non-powered male DC heroes. Wild Dog, Vigilante, all the Robins, Blue Beetle, &c. Just because a character is gay, that is neither the point of the character nor, necessarily, the appeal of the character, just a trait of that character. She is also Jewish but that doesn't get mentioned as much for some reason.

C) How do you know there isn't a gay Robin out there?

D) There is a Batboy out there but he's called Robin instead, 'cause it sounds better than Batboy.

Because they are two separate characters who exist simultaneously. That and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other aside from some congenitally acquired similarities, such as a vagina and red hair.
    Okay, jeez point taken. I apologize. For the record, It was just my ignorance of the characters. I shouldn't have posted so hastily. I don't think sometimes. I don't have problem with more female Bat like characters and would like it if there was only one Robin.

Okay, jeez point taken. I apologize. For the record, It was just my ignorance of the characters. I shouldn't have posted so hastily. I don't think sometimes. I don't have problem with more female Bat like characters and would like it if there was only one Robin.
    No problem, I just know these threads (we had a very similar one last week) tend to devolve into . . . well, you know . . . quickly, and the language you were using there could have been misconstrued as being bigoted.

I'd recommend picking up the first issues of both series and seeing which, if either, you like. They have completely separate tones. You can get the first issue of each on Comixology for $1.99, or perhaps find them discounted in back issue bins someplace if you don't like digital. You should be able to tell the difference immediately.

And we would all like if there were only one Robin. We just tend to disagree on which.

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    The character and their stories are completely different.

Batwoman's got her military background, is being blackmailed by a government agency, fights supernatural horrors, and has a well-developed cast, each with their own personal stories.

And Batgirl has PTSD and fight generic enemies with an even more generic cast.
    Wow, not very objective, are you? I had no idea Joker and Penguin were "generic".
    "If God is the answer, the wrong question has been asked."

No problem, I just know these threads (we had a very similar one last week) tend to devolve into . . . well, you know . . . quickly, and the language you were using there could have been misconstrued as being bigoted.

I'd recommend picking up the first issues of both series and seeing which, if either, you like. They have completely separate tones. You can get the first issue of each on Comixology for $1.99, or perhaps find them discounted in back issue bins someplace if you don't like digital. You should be able to tell the difference immediately.

And we would all like if there were only one Robin. We just tend to disagree on which.
    I understand that what I said can be seen offensive to woman but that wasn't my intent. Poor choice of words on my part. If I would have thought and did more of my own research, I never would have made this thread.

I'll definitely look into both characters. Batman and the universe or family whatever you want to call it.. I'm most fascinated by it.

Not exactly OT, but I've been reading Tim Drake as gay, or at least bisexual, for the last five years.

Batgirl is the daughter of Jim Gordon and is arguably still the spunky librarian who bookwormed her way into the Bat-inner-circle. She's a tech-guru and a ballerina, combined as far as her combat and effective tactics.

Batwoman is a soldier who uses Batman as inspiration for her own mission.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com