Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sethchristianmartel View Post
    I don't actually see why people are so upset about the movie influences... the damn movies being popular is keeping the comics alive and from hanging out with the Pterodactyls...
    Actually no the movies are not keeping comics alive. And from what the guys at the comic shop tell me the movies do not help the sales of comic books. To actually increase the sales Marvel and DC should advertise. Before anyone says they can't think about it Marvel is owned by Disney who own ABC and ESPN. Warner Brothers own DC. Cramming every thing from the movies into the comics would not be a problem if the movies was actually increasing the sales but it does not. So cramming the movie stuff in the comics does not make since. It just shows that the people in charge of the corpiration do not know what they are doing as far as comic books are concerned.

Rereading the interview, it says there will be some sci-fi included too, which will be nice to see since the series has dabbled into that area as well already (although that ghost truck story was a little odd).

I always wonder why with SHIELD's tech in addition to Tony's, the non-powered Avengers haven't ever had any upgrades. The Widow sting and fancy arrows don't really compare to armor. Plus we could see things like this instead of this

Its just cheesy fan art, but I'd love to see some tech advances if it really is at their disposal... They hand out armor to anyone these days ;)

Oh and Hock - whatever did happen to Paladin? I saw Spitfire became a vampire. Random.
    This shows your what you really know about comics. Gwen Stacy died a long time before Iron Man was with S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    This shows your what you really know about comics. Gwen Stacy died a long time before Iron Man was with S.H.I.E.L.D.
    not sureif your being sarcastic, but the image on the right is from New Avengers, when Mockingbird was wounded and needed the inifinity formula/super soldier serum cocktail to save her life

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    That last picture with Spidey is of Mockingbird, not Gwen Stacy.

Not feeling the roster, Really don't like Fury jr and Coulson.
    The world's Number 1 Ghost Rider Fan!!!!
    Reading
    Mighty Avengers. Uncanny Avengers* Thunderbolts* Justice League(Forever Evil)

I feel this book is like, Marvel has always wanted to have a SHIELD book, but they know a title under that name has never ever sold, so let's put in a couple of token Avengers to serve as a flimsy reason to title this book an Avengers book, while we really write Samuel Jackson and Phil Coulson as the stars because we like the movies more than the comics.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    I feel this book is like, Marvel has always wanted to have a SHIELD book, but they know a title under that name has never ever sold, so let's put in a couple of token Avengers to serve as a flimsy reason to title this book an Avengers book, while we really write Samuel Jackson and Phil Coulson as the stars because we like the movies more than the comics.
    Or you know could be cause they already have a book called SHIELD on the stands. Either way, this is obviously the SHIELD series they wanted to do but I don't see how its a big deal what its called.

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

I always wonder why with SHIELD's tech in addition to Tony's, the non-powered Avengers haven't ever had any upgrades. The Widow sting and fancy arrows don't really compare to armor.

Its just cheesy fan art, but I'd love to see some tech advances if it really is at their disposal... They hand out armor to anyone these days ;)

Oh and Hock - whatever did happen to Paladin? I saw Spitfire became a vampire. Random.
    I'd prefer to see them use bleeding edge tech rather than stuff like armour. I prefer an approach that requires them to utilize their skills more often, rather than showing up in a suit and blowing stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I'd prefer to see them use bleeding edge tech rather than stuff like armour. I prefer an approach that requires them to utilize their skills more often, rather than showing up in a suit and blowing stuff up.
    Yeah, we don't need another G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra moment for me to rage on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Robot View Post
    Yeah, we don't need another G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra moment for me to rage on.
    Is that the movie? Sorry for the ignorance, just never saw it. Its all fancy suits and explosions?

I guess I just think that if Iron Man was my team mate and I was running around in tights and a stick, I'd be like "Tony, hook a guy up, c'mon now"
    scmartel.deviantart.com

Is that the movie? Sorry for the ignorance, just never saw it. Its all fancy suits and explosions?

I guess I just think that if Iron Man was my team mate and I was running around in tights and a stick, I'd be like "Tony, hook a guy up, c'mon now"
    There's a moment in the movie, one scene, where they get all armored up and it's a big action piece. My thought was, if you wanted to make an iron Man movie so bad, why don't you do it? Why shoe-horn Iron Man into G.I. Joe? It was just one scene but it stuck out like a sore thub and made me roll my eyes.

Considering all the tech and science available, every superhuman or advanced military personel in the Marvel U should be a super soldier in Iron Man armor with every mutant power available to them on speed-dial but you just kind of have to let that go for the sake of individuality and compelling storytelling. I don't want an entire cast of the same character with the same power.

Rereading the interview, it says there will be some sci-fi included too, which will be nice to see since the series has dabbled into that area as well already (although that ghost truck story was a little odd).

I always wonder why with SHIELD's tech in addition to Tony's, the non-powered Avengers haven't ever had any upgrades. The Widow sting and fancy arrows don't really compare to armor.
    Because espionage stories don't really work in giant suits of armor and team stories become boring quick if everyone has the same skillset? It's not actually a mystery. Writers kill and maim whoever they want to maim, regardless of powerset.

Anyway, re: the movies, I think a book like this, with so many obvious cues taken from the films, is a harder sell to comic book fans who feel sort of marginalized in their own genre. Successful film adaptations change some stuff around and introduce new ideas to the canon, which is actually a smart thing. And it can be a smart thing to turn it around and introduce the new ideas back into comics. But it can also feel like a quick cashgrab in complete discontinuity with the shared universe, and since people who are buying/purchasing superhero comics are generally pretty invested in continuity and the shared universe, well, it's easy to see why that can fail. I know I wince, rather than smile, when I see references to Budapest. A book like this one has to convince readers it has an organic and authentic reason to exist within the confines of the Marvel comics universe, and is more than just an assemblage of movieverse parts slapped together to suit an editorial directive. It can definitely be done— a book like Hawkeye only exists because of the Avengers movie, but no one thinks of it as a cheap tie-in marketing ploy because there's an obvious creative vision there.

This? I'm not sure of it, yet. I don't really like the thought of "darker, edgier, morally ambiguous SHIELD" because I'm kind of lost in the Silver Age, but that's a personal taste preference. The premise of the book is also something that seems easy to make incoherent. None of the characters remembering their missions or the reasons they agreed to them makes character development tricky, and the interviews don't reveal much about the plot except that… there is one, I guess. Having Natasha willingly mindwiped seems drastically out of character at first glance, like I said. It's not just that she's had bad experiences with this in the past, it's that her origin is about freeing herself from the manipulation of a morally ambiguous spyworld, and her continued mission as a superhero is freeing other people from the same kinds of manipulation she suffered. It goes against her core concept to go along with a program like this. But hopefully that's something so obvious it will be addressed in the story. Otherwise, I really don't know what the story is, and I'm not particularly interested in active-agent Nick Fury stuff, but it's really unfair to write a book off because it doesn't seem whole in interviews. Of course it doesn't, they can't tell us everything. I did absolutely love Spencer's Jimmy Olsen work.

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    When people want to crusade against something, no post is going to stop them. :)

Vaguely interested in this title, but it feels like the 'mind-wipe them after every mission' would get in the way of any actual character development.
    I think the interaction will be progressive between teammates, in other words I think you'll see some character development despite the "mind-wipes". I'm thinking it will be a mind-wipe ala the movie Paycheck with Ben Affleck. It won't be a perfect thing and the characters are smart enough that if there's something they want to remember there's ways of doing that, text or take videos on a cell, write notes etc. I think it will be more of a technology not being a perfect thing here and some will remember bits and pieces. Someone like Black Widow had her head messed with so much that I'm surprised she would be a volunteer for this. Look at what she is going through in Winter Soldier....

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    As for Clint, I don't really think it matters that he was a carny. He's a highly trained human, which seems to fit the MO here. Plus he has done a lot of work for SHIELD before and being a full time Avenger you know he's way more skilled than any other actual agent. If you're willing to put up with his loud mouth, sarcasm, and propensity for leaping without looking he's definitely an asset.
    I'm not so sure he has done a lot of work for SHIELD actually. Not before the last 3 years anyways. I don't see him as the superspy they're making him out to be. And judging by his firmly established dislike for authority figures outside of Cap, I can't see him simply taking orders from a newbie like Marcus Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    I actually think this makes perfect sense. Why would Bucky let SHIELD brainwash him? He's on a private mission to atone for all his past mindwipe related sins, it seems like that'd get in the way.
    Him being an antagonist might be interesting when you word it like that. What I'd give to see him beat the crap out of Johnson and Coulson...

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post

Anyway, re: the movies, I think a book like this, with so many obvious cues taken from the films, is a harder sell to comic book fans who feel sort of marginalized in their own genre. Successful film adaptations change some stuff around and introduce new ideas to the canon, which is actually a smart thing. And it can be a smart thing to turn it around and introduce the new ideas back into comics. But it can also feel like a quick cashgrab in complete discontinuity with the shared universe, and since people who are buying/purchasing superhero comics are generally pretty invested in continuity and the shared universe, well, it's easy to see why that can fail. I know I wince, rather than smile, when I see references to Budapest. A book like this one has to convince readers it has an organic and authentic reason to exist within the confines of the Marvel comics universe, and is more than just an assemblage of movieverse parts slapped together to suit an editorial directive. It can definitely be done— a book like Hawkeye only exists because of the Avengers movie, but no one thinks of it as a cheap tie-in marketing ploy because there's an obvious creative vision there.
    Quoted for Truth.

Not to be a downer, but if the book does flop, does anyone think Marvel will get the hint?
    Last edited by Prince Of Orphans; 12-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I'm not so sure he has done a lot of work for SHIELD actually. Not before the last 3 years anyways. I don't see him as the superspy they're making him out to be. And judging by his firmly established dislike for authority figures outside of Cap, I can't see him simply taking orders from a newbie like Marcus Johnson.
    that's all true. but the Clint you're referring to is dead. it's best just to mourn and try to forget about him. he's been replaced by movie Hawkeye; the sniper.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time