Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I haven't seen this same spider-symbol. Anyone got a pic of it?

The claws are placed differently on both characters. And Smythe's face is all screwed up lately, not quite the face of a young man shown on some of the covers.

Coincidental similarities, that's all they are. Ya might as well say it's Spidercide.
    But SIX coincidental similarities.

Anyway I'm just having fun theorizing on this. I'm generally wrong about stuff like this, heheh. But I think the case is at least a little stronger than you do. Part of the fun is running down the list of suspects.
    Life looks better in black and white.

First thoughts when I looked at in the comic book store? Yep, it's Doc Ock.

It would especially make sense considering what's going on and the recap text of the Daily Bugle at last issue.
    Check out my Spark Comics: http://SparkComic.com
    Cyclops Vs. The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/14oECsT
    Superior Spider-Man Vs The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/122FuwE

I haven't seen this same spider-symbol. Anyone got a pic of it?

The claws are placed differently on both characters. And Smythe's face is all screwed up lately, not quite the face of a young man shown on some of the covers.

Coincidental similarities, that's all they are. Ya might as well say it's Spidercide.
    Here's the Spider:

Oh and Smythe's costume is just over his skin it's not stuck to his body and since he was reintroduced he does look younger:

The claws placement could just be artistic interpretation as on the cover of SSM 1 we see the claws beneath the fingers but in Avenging Spider-man 16 see his claws on the tips of his fingers. Its more than likely that the claws suffer from different artistic interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    my pick is Harry or Norman Osbourn
    Lol when I was discussing with my friend who Spider-Man could be in Superior Spider-Man Normie was one of the names we came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade 20x6 View Post
    It isn't, unless Miles is white in this continuity.
    And a bit of a jerk as well since that seems to be what Slott is going for.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    It's probably Stephen Wacker
    That'd make me LOL so loud.

Smythe would be a pretty left-field choice. Don't see why he'd suddenly start fighting crime.
    I agree I don't see why he would either.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    But SIX coincidental similarities.
    doesnt over turn the one cover we have that shows he doesnt have smythe's weird face.

Anyway I'm just having fun theorizing on this. I'm generally wrong about stuff like this, heheh. But I think the case is at least a little stronger than you do. Part of the fun is running down the list of suspects.
    fair enough... but smythe requires some significant changes to fill the role.

doesnt over turn the one cover we have that shows he doesnt have smythe's weird face.

fair enough... but smythe requires some significant changes to fill the role.
    Smythe's face is not weird its just a suit but yes it would require significant change to Alistair's morals to become Spider-man.
    Last edited by Strider92; 12-13-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    The first half of AoU takes place before SSM. The second half takes place after.
    So all the post apocalyptic scenes we see in AU previews are already taking place or will between ASM #700 and SSM #1? That sounds stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider92 View Post
    Smythe's face is not weird its just a suit but yes it would require significant change Alistair to become Spider-man.

I think you actually make quite the compelling case for it to be Smythe personally. Even if it doesn't turn out to be Smythe I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that you didn't make an extremely strong case as to how & why you thought it was him.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Smythe's face is not weird its just a suit
    His suit adds the pointy flesh colored talons to his jaw?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I do think Smythe would be way out of left field at this point, as he's never really shown any redeeming characteristics and hasn't had a life-changing experience recently.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

His suit adds the pointy flesh colored talons to his jaw?
    We saw Smythe's face before he put his new suit on in Big Time when he broke the Scorpion out of the Raft (picture is up there) those pointed bits on his chin didn't appear until after he put the suit on in that very same issue. In the issue following we also see him scaling walls without those spikes on his chin either so they seem to be subjective to whoever's drawing. We have actually had a clear view of Smythe outside the suit and he doesn't seem as though he has those mutations (or whatever they) when not wearing it. They are also not flesh colored all the time they are grey almost metallic in some instances.

I don't know if I'm going to like this Spidey, since he comes off as selfish to where he would give up when his back is against the wall. Where Peter would never forgive himself if he let his enemies go, to where they cause more damage.

I don't know who the new guy will be, but everything seems to appoint that he's not going to follow the big "spider-motto": "With great power comes great responsibility". So I assure you something, if they don't turn back this at some point in the future, making Peter be Spiderman again, you won't see me buying anymore Spiderman's comics.

Geez!, If only the editors wouln't play with us just like this, confusing us completely. All what it has been said about this new Superior Spiderman makes me think there won't be a turn back; but the experience has always proven that this kind of changes are never permanent. I mean, let's review:
    - They killed Johnny Storm, leaving us without the Fantastic Four; and now they are back again and Johnny was "resurrected". (Several times, actually).
    - They killed Captain America and made Bucky take his place; then they brought the real Cap back and Bucky returned the shield.
    - They have separated Bruce Banner and the Hulk over and over, but they always end returning as one single being.
    - They already tried to make Peter leave his life as Spiderman once, passing the torch to his clone-brother, Ben Reilly. But that didn't work, so they killed Ben and made Peter to wear the webs again.

So I really REALLY hope this change won't be permanent either.

We saw Smythe's face before he put his new suit on in Big Time when he broke the Scorpion out of the Raft (picture is up there) those pointed bits on his chin didn't appear until after he put the suit on in that very same issue. In the issue following we also see him scaling walls without those spikes on his chin either so they seem to be subjective to whoever's drawing. We have actually had a clear view of Smythe outside the suit and he doesn't seem as though he has those mutations (or whatever they) when not wearing it. They are also not flesh colored all the time they are grey almost metallic in some instances.
    Smythe has yellow dialogue balloons (like Deadpool) when he speaks, and a digital looking font. Superior Spider-Man doesn't. Ergo, it can't be Smythe.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    It's probably Stephen Wacker
    He does seem to have Steve's rippling muscles.
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude