Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Archer & Armstrong, #5

Fred Van Lente and Emanuela Lupacchino give us a massive chase scene in "Archer & Armstrong" #5 as the Eternal Warrior gets his time in the sun, and his attempt to destroy Archer is more fun than you might expect.

Full review here.

I don't know if it was all the build up, but I was expecting more from this issue. I still enjoyed it--pretty good fight between the Bros, some development on the A&A relationship, and possibly the first glimpse at the Immortal Enemy. There are also plenty of little comedic lines/scenes throughout.

But for the first issue of a new arc, it didn't have much plot development except, "We need to get away from my brother and find the new Geomancer," which we already had at the end of issue 4.

Lupacchino does a nice job, with no real drop off from Clayton Henry. I prefer Henry overall, but the art is still pretty good.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

I'm in the same boat, Bugs. A fun read even if nothing really happened. And I'll miss Henry's clean lines and intricate detail, which, though I enjoyed her art, Lupacchino doesn't seem to bother with. Hope Henry comes back to the title in the future.

I haven't had a chance to pick this one up yet. Anything on what's up with Mary-Marie yet? I am kind of interested in exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    I haven't had a chance to pick this one up yet. Anything on what's up with Mary-Marie yet? I am kind of interested in exactly what happened.
    Not yet. FVL said she doesn't factor into this arc. Not that we won't see her, but she doesn't play a major role in the next few issues.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    I don't know if it was all the build up, but I was expecting more from this issue. I still enjoyed it--pretty good fight between the Bros, some development on the A&A relationship, and possibly the first glimpse at the Immortal Enemy. There are also plenty of little comedic lines/scenes throughout.

But for the first issue of a new arc, it didn't have much plot development except, "We need to get away from my brother and find the new Geomancer," which we already had at the end of issue 4.

Lupacchino does a nice job, with no real drop off from Clayton Henry. I prefer Henry overall, but the art is still pretty good.
    I agree. I'm thinking maybe the artist change hurt the pacing as well. Clayton Henry and Pere Perez are not drawing this issue and it is abundantly clear from page one. Nothing against Emanuela Lupacchino but Henry’s detailed work is sorely missed. It doesn’t help the story seems to lumber along in introducing Archer’s long lost brother.

The issue reads more like a pit stop than a continuation of the story which is unfortunate. One of this series strengths has been the thrilling non stop action.

Meh...I posted some pic's with a review at the link in my signature.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I'm so glad to see Lupacchino on another book. I LOVED her run on X-Factor.
    Marvel, VALIANT, Archie

Not yet. FVL said she doesn't factor into this arc. Not that we won't see her, but she doesn't play a major role in the next few issues.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably pick this up next week.

I enjoyed this issue a lot more the second time I read it, probably because like you I had high expectations going in. Overall I thought Bloodshot #6 was a much better issue, but I thought for a straightforward issue A&A was pretty fun this week. I'm willing to keep reading this at least until the second arc is complete, and then I'll see how I feel from there.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

I liked the issue myself. Maybe it was expectation variance for different folks but I went in just expecting to get Eternal Warrior and that's what I got. I wasn't looking for a history lesson of where he's been and what he's been up to. I'm assuming that will be done for his eventually ongoing. I knew he was involved with getting to the new Geomancer and that's what I got basically. I was glad to see that Archer didn't totally avoid Gilad but like Ninjak knew to play to his strengths and cut away at the right time. Cutting away meaning toss you in a cargo box and dump it in the ocean!! LOL!

Looking at the pic of the Geomancer have they given her a lower lip stud? I hate crappy piercings in odd places myself. Rarely find it works in real life but hey, this is 2-D art so I'll see.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1