Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 222
  1. #181
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Looks like I added one in the interrum while you were responding. Sorry. it's a long list of reasons and all. Forgot one of the bigger ones.



    Again, I already brought up two non-direct super hero examples that countermand your point and explained how easily it could have been done without redundancy. You're free to disagree, but don't use reasons I already accounted for and explained away.



    Indeed the fight was, and that was all that was needed. It accomplished the "no longer a joke" thing easily enough on its own. Everything else was superfluous repetition.



    That's certainly no-prize worthy

    It would have been better if he was called out on it.
    What did you counter and explain away We disagree on what's redundant in this story and that's it.

    Anyways, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

    I'm going to keep buying and reading Avengers Arena and I'm pretty sure that you won't.

    I think that's fair enough.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  2. #182
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I'm just glad Magic Gorgina keeps posting about Avengers Arena. He has more post than anyone in EVERY Arena thread! He really wants the book to be talked about I guess and to spread his interest in what's happening!
    I actually prefer the S/D approach.

    He was upfront about his dislike of the book, freaked out and flat-out decided not to read it.

    That's a much better approach to a book you don't like than actually trying to prove to other people that the book isn't good to the people who actually enjoyed it.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  3. #183
    ~MagiKat~ Kaiolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,785

    Default

    Hey guys I just noticed that the borders of the comic felt a little off. Yet another reason this book sucks. Also the lettering felt tacky.

  4. #184
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    What did you counter and explain away We disagree on what's redundant in this story and that's it.
    Specifically, the lack of focus for the kids by citing the Runaways and Serenity example as well as providing a quick way to establish them and their character (2 x 8 face shots of all the kids and their reaction to Arcade).

    Not so much the Redundancy, though we do disagree on that. I found that after he curb-stomped the kids, the need of him to get the first 'kill' was unneeded to cement it, other than the meta-narrative "NO ONE IS SAFE" declaration which, with B/C/D list kids, is doubly redundant.

    But if I look at it again in light of your statements, that point could easily be more subjective than objective.

    Anyways, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

    I'm going to keep buying and reading Avengers Arena and I'm pretty sure that you won't.

    I think that's fair enough.
    Indeed, probably is. I thank you for providing your reasoning though. I couldn't find MUCH fault with it either

    Again, thank you for your time and for dealing with my brand of crazy.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  5. #185
    Junior Member kakitamike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Unfortunately, not all opinions are created equal. An opinion which can say: "this story succeeds because of X, Y and Z" is superior to one which says "This story sucks because X". It's nice to pretend that all opinions are equal, but the truth off the matter is far different. Again, my second signature quote applies. I'm an evidence-guy (or at least try to be).
    What's the point in even attempting to engage in conversation with someone who believes some opinions are more right than other?

    I guess that's rather rhetorical, in hindsight.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

  6. #186
    New Member gveret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    That was a joke, son. I was pokin' light at the thing. Sorry, my humor button isn't working well today.
    Sorry, I didn't realize. (Also, I'm female).



    Frankly, I found:

    'But I think what this comes down to is a more fundamental disagreement on what constitutes objectiveness. I think the phrase "objective opinion" is an oxymoron. You don't. That's pretty much it.'

    So bad that I didn't even wish to address it in casual dismissal. The lack of education was far more important to comment on and it was not intended as an insult. I even tried to encourage you to seek out education in the subject!

    But if I must address it, I should definitely clarify it with "More objective opinion" or "determine the objective quality off a work of art beyond personal subjective opinion".
    1. Ad hominen is not primarily an insult. It's a demagogic device and a logical fallacy. And don't worry, I was not insulted.

    2. Thank you for your concern over my tragic state of ignorance, but I assure you, while I may not be the most articulate (especially in English), I do know a thing or two about deconstruction and existentialism.


    Actually it's comedic exaggeration, but the point of moving ahead blindly is still a detriment to your position overall.
    It's a direct comparison made between two things that share a few basic elements in order to make a point. Call it whatever you want, it's not a solid argument either way.

  7. #187
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kakitamike View Post
    What's the point in even attempting to engage in conversation with someone who believes some opinions are more right than other?
    Because I (usually) try and counter/mitigate the bluntness of that with the "You're free to like whatever you want" added onto it. Liking things doesn't make it good and that's where it may get a bit confusing. Sorry about that.

    But it definitely is a new experience for some people and can be off-putting.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  8. #188
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gveret View Post
    2. Thank you for your concern over my tragic state of ignorance, but I assure you, while I may not be the most articulate (especially in English), I do know a thing or two about deconstruction and existentialism.
    Interesting. I always found that those two concepts work best when you know the basis of what's being discussed through. But then again, I'm only a novice in those areas and could very easily be wrong.

    Since that's more of a detailed topic, and English (I assume) is not you're first language, you don't have to explain elaborately. A simple Yes/No would be sufficient in this case. Especially since it's a bit OT.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  9. #189
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonspider89 View Post
    Comicvine gave it three stars and said fans of characters are going to be angry. Read the review. The review from newsarama and ign was hogwash. They even admitted they knew nothing of the characters and said it was entertaining since these characters had no fans.

    The user reviews on comicvine have been largely negaitve.

    And on other sites more readers are upset about the book and dislike it since it did exactly what us naysayers said it would do.
    I find this metality with the official reviewers to be disgusting. What, just because YOU don't recognize these characters means that NO ONE does?

    Even if their fanbase is small, (which in this case it isnt') it doesnt make it ok for you to kill characters and rob readers of future storyline potential by doing things like this.
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

    All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

    No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

  10. #190
    New Member gveret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Since that's more of a detailed topic, and English (I assume) is not you're first language, you don't have to explain elaborately. A simple Yes/No would be sufficient in this case. Especially since it's a bit OT.
    God. See, I can't even tell if you're knowingly mocking me or just being unintentionally patronizing. Sorry, no speak English. Clean floor.

  11. #191
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gveret View Post
    God. See, I can't even tell if you're knowingly mocking me or just being unintentionally patronizing. Sorry, no speak English. Clean floor.
    Damnit! Sorry! I didn't intend that at all, I just wanted a quick/clean answer to prevent further Off Topic discussion!

    Statement retracted! Statement Retracted! No mockery was intended!

    I just wanted to say that I was woefully ignorant of existentialism's finer points. I know someone who speaks 5 languages and when we went to a mueseum together, she had trouble with some of the larger words there (it was more technical language than the conversational language she was used to) and assumed.

    And made an ass of myself. I'm sorry.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  12. #192
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gveret View Post
    God. See, I can't even tell if you're knowingly mocking me or just being unintentionally patronizing. Sorry, no speak English. Clean floor.
    He's being a bitter snob. That's all. He's excessively patronizing and repetitive.

  13. #193
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    He's being a bitter snob. That's all. He's excessively patronizing and repetitive.
    I'd hardly call what he's doing being a snob. I'd say hes being an intellectual with sound critisisms.
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

    All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

    No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

  14. #194
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonage2ftw View Post
    I'd hardly call what he's doing being a snob. I'd say hes being an intellectual with sound critisisms.
    He basically told someone above they weren't educated enough to have an opinion. That's a snob.

  15. #195
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    I'm out, have fun. I'm done with you lot. You're a pretty stubborn bunch and I'd rather play Borderlands. I've said my piece, I'm sure I'm right assuming the information at hand is accurate and will not be retconned and that my analysis is good. You guys aren't gonna change your minds, and there is no way in hell you are going to change mine with your trawling and nitpicking. I get your plight. I'm now waiting for Finesse to come back, she was easily the most interesting of the Academy kids as written by Gage.
    I'd hardly call understanding the literature that precedes this and the characterization of said literature to be "stubborn."
    Wonder Man > Wonder Woman

    All of entertainment can be boiled down to either Sex or Death

    No amount of modern revisionism by the vocal internet minority can change the good work Bendis has done.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •