Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    the funny thing is that security at wolverine's school is laughably bad. i guess the avengers just post a "keep out" sign on their school.
    That and a leashed dog (X-23)

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarejourneyman View Post
    You mention that Arcade is more like Dr. Doom in this. Is there any explanation for how he got powerful enough to take Blasts from Hazmat or pull out Telekinesis?
    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Not at all.

I suspect that's to come in further issues.
    Simple. It's not Arcade. It's the Stranger pretending to be Arcade. He likes to conduct experiments, doesn't he?

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    That and a leashed dog (X-23)
    captured dog now.

How will X23 defeat Darkhawk ?
    We now know she survives until day 29 and the covers told us that they will fight against each other.

Simple. It's not Arcade. It's the Stranger pretending to be Arcade. He likes to conduct experiments, doesn't he?

Peace
    No if this real I assume its the Beyonder.
    Cammi and her Chaos Fariy know him and it would explain why they are on Murder World

Wolverine has
    A hoard of nakid nightcrawlers
    Freaking mercenaries as the hall monitors
    Every sq in of the place is a danger room
    Grass will attack you ( Ultiama fans know how evil the grass is)
    at least four homicalde maniacs on the grounds at any given time.
    Both Space and Earth Dragons ( who guard their underground poppy feilds)
    And Doop.
    Cyclops ad portas

Frankly, the entire issue can be summed up as "The more you know, the dumber it becomes".

The characterization for Hazmat and Mettle is off. (The first line broke my Suspension of disbelief it was so OOC)

Arcade Godmode is needless and distracting as all get out. I mean, it's literally textbook God Mode Sue, complete with dropping the competence levels off the other character (Nico just standing there doing nothing). It's rather apparent that Hopeless is to much of a 'fan' of arcade to write well with him. It's Arcade's story on display when it really, really should not be. He gets more focus than the apparently attempted focal character (Hazmat) or the one who dies in the issue. I see what he tried to do, but Arcade love blinded him.

The noble sacrifice is marred by statements made just before it.

The pacing was off: the flash forward was unneeded, and the pages could have been used to show more of the kids fighting against Arcade if that was needed at all instead a good number of them including one who really should have tried something (Nico) doing nothing and made to look incompetent, powerless or otherwise degraded.

Classic Women in Refrigerators style death and buildup. Never a good thing. Arcade gets more page time than Hazmat and she gets more page time than Mettle. It's rather poor storytelling, IMO.

I'm glad they dropped the narration from the beginning for the rest of it, because it remained over-wrought and flowery. The scene of Academy before entering Murder World (while marred by a bat bit of repeating dialogue) was pretty well done otherwise, wish some nice little nods, I'll admit, and the art is good too. But overall, 2/5. It's not that good of a start at all and like Gage said, it will not win over skeptics. I can see glimpses of what Hopeless is trying to do with this story and what he is trying for is good on paper, but his love of Arcade blinds him and, honestly, his skill with the craft simply isn't up to the task from what I've seen.

Man, it's so bad, I feel like doing a "We don't need no Civil War" or "Muh Phoenix" rewrite for it not to parody it, but to just show that it could have been done better.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 12-12-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

The Basis for this book seems to be Hunger games and Battle royal with the satire and narrative purpose of those books removed.

the writing guide seems to be TV tropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../AvengersArena

TV Tropes left off one, Kid have sex them one of them dies, a standard of the Slasher genre this belongs in.

Despite using a gutted and tired theme, and multiple cliches Hopeless seems to be a very competent writer.

I will not be picking up any more of this, I was done with slasher books and movies a long time ago, unless there was more there than killing for killings sake I don't see that here
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Didn't there used to be a mandated 10am EST start up time on these threads....and people aren't checking if one was already created.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Didn't there used to be a mandated 10am EST start up time on these threads....and people aren't checking if one was already created.
    Right? Deathcry should totally be banned for starting a thread 11 minutes early.

Or, you know, you could just let the mods moderate.

BANNED

i dunno about 10 am start time. but maybe you can ask the mods to merge that other spoiler thread with into this one, iron maiden?

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    The Basis for this book seems to be Hunger games and Battle royal with the satire and narrative purpose of those books removed.

TV Tropes left off one, Kid have sex them one of them dies, a standard of the Slasher genre this belongs in.
    They do, it's called "Death by Sex". Though to be fair, since I'm the one who added most of those, it's not exactly fair to judge it. I have an eye for such things.

Despite using a gutted and tired theme, and multiple cliches Hopeless seems to be a very competent writer.
    If not one who does research very well.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post

I will not be picking up any more of this, I was done with slasher books and movies a long time ago, unless there was more there than killing for killings sake I don't see that here
    Thanks for the link

Mettle is not really black though he is from Hawai.
    And before all that? This was just going to be an arc for a proposed Braddock Academy series.
    I like the character design of Red Raven and Ryker , would have problay given that book a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakerose View Post
    Thanks for the link

Mettle is not really black though he is from Hawai.
    He is "a person of color" sop that works to fit the trope. If a hack can't use a black person a brown one is a suitable substitute
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Wolverine has
    A hoard of nakid nightcrawlers
    Freaking mercenaries as the hall monitors
    Every sq in of the place is a danger room
    Grass will attack you ( Ultiama fans know how evil the grass is)
    at least four homicalde maniacs on the grounds at any given time.
    Both Space and Earth Dragons ( who guard their underground poppy feilds)
    And Doop.
    Yeah I was about to say how is the JGS' security/defense system laughably bad? It's like the most hostile place on Earth if anything lol. Krakoa alone makes it pretty top notch...not even counting the danger room defenses, the bamfs, the staff, etc.

By the way this book was freaking amazing! I also have a sinking feeling that at the end of this series, everything with the deaths is not as it seems. We shall see. I'm definitely on board
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes