Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Mettle's a murderer who deserved his fate!
    More like Mettle was a coward and an ass. Who deserved his fate.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Yeah...a little TOO obvious, I think. I'm holding out hope it's real. Plus, is this really Arcade?
    Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced this is Arcade yet. But I'm looking forward to reading on and finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdumbass View Post
    More like Mettle was a coward and an ass. Who deserved his fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Mettle's a murderer who deserved his fate!
    Spoken by those who probably read only one or two issues of AVENGERS ACADEMY Series instead of the entire run.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Spoken by those who probably read only one or two issues of AVENGERS ACADEMY Series instead of the entire run.
    Swashbuckler has read it all iirc

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced this is Arcade yet. But I'm looking forward to reading on and finding out.
    Me too.

Plus I'm interested in seeing who gets obliterated next.
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

BANNED

I actually read most of Academy but I don't care about that.

They say it's when things get tough that you show your true colors.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I tried when it ran. I tried again fairly recently and got a little further. It was an awful book.

Anyway, this thread is about Avengers Arena and I don't want to derail it.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

BANNED

No PAX, I read all of that series and have all the issues still. I liked the start of it. I loved the concept of them being possibly evil. I started to hate the series when they brought in all the other characters and made every issue an after school special.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdumbass View Post
    I actually read most of Academy but I don't care about that.

They say it's when things get tough that you show your true colors.
    Yeah, I find those lines hard to swallow after the Fear Itself story and the PTSD it caused when he killed one person. Fear Itself also pushed him to the limit and he did choose to sacrifice himself in that as well, it came off as far less self-interested than it does here.

Even without that, that scene undermines the nobility of his sacrifice in the next scene.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Yeah, I find those lines hard to swallow after the Fear Itself story and the PTSD it caused when he killed one person. Fear Itself also pushed him to the limit and he did choose to sacrifice himself in that as well, it came off as far less self-interested than it does here.

Even without that, that scene undermines the nobility of his sacrifice in the next scene.
    The preceding scene makes it very evident why he would sacrifice himself. Arcade was going to kill her, and Mettle didn't think there was anything he could physically do to stop Arcade. He gave himself because he wanted the girl he loves to live.

Would it have been more powerful had he sacrificed himself for the whole group or jumped in the way of a life-threatening laser? Not sure, but I can guarantee that there'd be a trope for it. It would be no less cliche than what we got, if not even more so.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post

Then we agree, you can argue that the writer didn't get the character right or that it wasn't faithful to his previous characterization but the fact remains that he acted like a... well I got a word for it but I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon here so I'll keep to myself. His death was well done and I felt sorry for Hazmat (Hopeless made me actually care for her) but not for him.

Mettle was far from a coward or an ass. He was a good kid who deserved better. And yeah, he killed a dude...IN BATTLE...trying to SAVE LIVES. It's not he randomly knocked off someone's head for getting his order wrong at Burger King. What he did was no different than a cop having to shoot someone threatening his life or other lives.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    Mettle was far from a coward or an ass. He was a good kid who deserved better. And yeah, he killed a dude...IN BATTLE...trying to SAVE LIVES. It's not he randomly knocked off someone's head for getting his order wrong at Burger King. What he did was no different than a cop having to shoot someone threatening his life or other lives.
    This......

So the answer is to kill his characters? Okay.
    Some comic fans are personally offended by the mere existence of characters they don't like for a litany of reasons that I've always found poor from a reasoning standpoint.

They're entitled to it, but I find it silly.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

BANNED

You're missing the point.