Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kr3wman View Post
    Most probably Hunger Games. It is the book in vogue right now, not Lord of the Flies, and Battle Royale is not a children's book.
    Like arcade would make the diffrence
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    I have a feeling there will be a twist where not everyybody is really dying
    I doubt that. Arcade wants to improve his rep, so why would he spare anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kr3wman View Post
    Most probably Hunger Games. It is the book in vogue right now, not Lord of the Flies, and Battle Royale is not a "children"'s book. (Nor hunger games or lord of the flies to me, but heyyyyy)
    The first cover is a homage to Battle Royale and the second cover references Lord of the Flies.

This book makes references to all those stories, so Arcade probably read all those books.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdumbass View Post
    Which offensive comment ? Personally I'm more concerned about the people who imply Hopeless/Marvel are racist because they killed a character in a book about characters being killed, but everyone's got his priorities.
    Saying the character deserved to die because he wasn't a perfect hero and prioritized Hazmat's life over other factors was offensive, as was the 'poor excuse for a human being' line.

Labeling Hopeless or Marvel as racist would be offensive, too, but all I've seen so far is people pointing out that as a PoC (and yes, Hawaians count), Mettle dying first fits certain tropes pretty well, which it does. That doesn't imply anything about whether that's being done purposely or for bad reasons.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Melendez View Post
    no one is being spared. he's causing psychological trauma. but, really, he gets off on watching people die. he said it himself. so he's still getting what he wants.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Why kill a hero in body when they have that nasty habit of not staying dead? Kill them in spirit and it won't matter how often death rejects them. It's much more cerebral.

So I doubt that will happen.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Why kill a hero in body when they have that nasty habit of not staying dead? Kill them in spirit and it won't matter how often death rejects them. It's much more cerebral.

So I doubt that will happen.
    Are you dropping the book now or are you coming back for more each month?

Quote Originally Posted by hacman00 View Post
    God I wish I could edit all the CBR threads to include "Avengers Academy" somewhere in the titles...
    Hahahaha, oh that's good

Quote Originally Posted by J/O/J/O View Post
    Yo completely off topc but sweerdumbass I want an avatar like yours but with Mettle;s exploding skull and Hazmat's reaction.
    Like HME said, spoilerish much, but maybe just a traumatized Hazmat ? And Arcade smiling or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hacman00 View Post
    God I wish I could edit all the CBR threads to include "Avengers Academy" somewhere in the titles...
    lol. Stop there before you get into trouble :p
    X-Poster of the Month: March (and February) 2014

who wouldn't want to be a pretty slut vs an ugly forever ?
    ~~ forgotten poster

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    No need to be upset if your guy dies, book makes it obvious this is a VR sim the kids are trapped in, my time in the 8os and 90s have made this pretty tiresome, maybe their making up for this cliché being lacking the past decade. Though they did have that gamer movie.
    This isn't a VR sim. Arcade wants to improve his rep, strapping people into a VR sim wouldn't do that. Unless it's a "Die in the VR world, you die in real life" sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    no one is being spared. he's causing psychological trauma. but, really, he gets off on watching people die. he said it himself. so he's still getting what he wants.
    Fair point. But i still don't think it's a VR, though something is up with Arcade.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Most likely a VR scenario. It just doesn't add up any other way.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Are you dropping the book now or are you coming back for more each month?
    Sorta have to for at least till #3 so I can do my review of it in proper. I trade wait normally.

Thank goodness for comixology.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

This isn't a VR sim. Arcade wants to improve his rep, strapping people into a VR sim wouldn't do that. Unless it's a "Die in the VR world, you die in real life" sort of thing.

Fair point. But i still don't think it's a VR, though something is up with Arcade.
    My biggest surprise would be finding out that this actually is Arcade. I'm thinking he's a cosmic being like Gamesmaster, Collector or the Beyonder.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Unless Arcade acquired strong magical defenses from someplace, shouldn't this be resolved in two sentences from Nico?

"Arcade go poof."

"There's no place like home."
    He has gone agaisnt magical heroes before.

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    My biggest surprise would be finding out that this actually is Arcade. I'm thinking he's a cosmic being like Gamesmaster, Collector or the Beyonder.
    Not really their style.

If it is someone other than Arcade, it would be Mojo. The deaths would still be for keeps.

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    It does add up in several other ways. A VR scenario wouldn't make much sense and this being Arcade, the characters would still die.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Saying the character deserved to die because he wasn't a perfect hero and prioritized Hazmat's life over other factors was offensive, as was the 'poor excuse for a human being' line.

Labeling Hopeless or Marvel as racist would be offensive, too, but all I've seen so far is people pointing out that as a PoC (and yes, Hawaians count), Mettle dying first fits certain tropes pretty well, which it does. That doesn't imply anything about whether that's being done purposely or for bad reasons.
    Lol so calling the character on his bullsh*t is offensive but making fishy implications about a creator's intention is A-Okay ? Like I said, priorities.
    I didn't read any of said character previous appearances so I only had this issue to go by and his reaction was awful. So everyone's fighting for their life, he just runs off looking for his gf (kinda understandable) and then suggest they bail out on everybody b/c screw them. Nothing to do with being a paragon of virtue and everything to do with being a decent human being. Great powers, great responsibilities and all that. There are some books about it, you should check them out.
    X-Poster of the Month: March (and February) 2014

who wouldn't want to be a pretty slut vs an ugly forever ?
    ~~ forgotten poster

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    That's maybe your preferred scenario, but don't pretend it's the only possible one.