Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,928

    Default CW's "Arrow" Casts Colton Haynes as Roy Harper

    Continuing its embrace of DC Comics mythology, the CW's "Arrow" has cast "Teen Wolf" alum Colton Haynes in the role of Roy Harper, better known in the DCU as Speedy, Red Arrow and Arsenal.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    ARRRRRRGGGG!!! I can't stand it anymore. It's not "mythology!!!" "Mythology" equals ancient RELIGION. Nobody has ever actually BELIEVED comics were REAL - ergo:

    It's. Not. Mythology.

    What it more equates to - lets be honest - is fairy tales (which used to be pretty dark and intense in the telling). But "mythology" sounds way more awesomely macho than "fairly tales" after all.

    Arg.

  3. #3
    New Member arrow41's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    RAF Lakenheath, England
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    ARRRRRRGGGG!!! I can't stand it anymore. It's not "mythology!!!" "Mythology" equals ancient RELIGION. Nobody has ever actually BELIEVED comics were REAL - ergo:

    It's. Not. Mythology.

    What it more equates to - lets be honest - is fairy tales (which used to be pretty dark and intense in the telling). But "mythology" sounds way more awesomely macho than "fairly tales" after all.

    Arg.

    my·thol·o·gy
    [mi-thol-uh-jee]

    noun, plural my·thol·o·gies.
    1.
    a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person: Greek mythology.

    2.
    myths collectively.

    3.
    the science or study of myths.

    4.
    a set of stories, traditions, or beliefs associated with a particular group or the history of an event, arising naturally or deliberately fostered: the Fascist mythology of the interwar years.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default ex-ACT-ly!!

    Thank you! The common denominator? "Beliefs."

    Putting this definition in my pocket and starting my crusade.

    Quote Originally Posted by arrow41 View Post
    my·thol·o·gy
    [mi-thol-uh-jee]

    noun, plural my·thol·o·gies.
    1.
    a body of myths, as that of a particular people or that relating to a particular person: Greek mythology.

    2.
    myths collectively.

    3.
    the science or study of myths.

    4.
    a set of stories, traditions, or beliefs associated with a particular group or the history of an event, arising naturally or deliberately fostered: the Fascist mythology of the interwar years.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    Thank you! The common denominator? "Beliefs."

    Putting this definition in my pocket and starting my crusade.
    aside for the "stories" or "traditions".................

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default you're quoting selectively/deceptively

    Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    aside for the "stories" or "traditions".................
    You left off the qualifier - the end of the quoted sentence: "...associated with a particular group or the history of an event"

    Comics are wholecloth fiction. And before you try to nitpick, yes - they are contextualized against actual events, but that is true of all fiction.

    We all know what "mythology" means. We were all taught the meaning in school. To try to ram the square peg of comics into the round hole of this pre-existing word and its well-established definition is to undefine the word "mythology" completely and simply make it a synonym for "stories." It's not.

    The english language got here before Superman, folks. It has dibs on the word. Or at least it should.

  7. #7
    I Saw That! MegaNaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Uh, doesn't Arrow already have a Speedy? I kind of thought they are setting up Ollie's sister as Speedy, since that's his nickname for her. I think they are setting up an "Arrow Incorporated" type thing for later in the series. Either way, I am really enjoying the show.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    The english language got here before Superman, folks. It has dibs on the word. Or at least it should.
    It has also continually evolved.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    "Evolution" is an organic process. Simply deciding one word now means something completely different cuz it sounds cool is not an organic process, its a deliberate thing with a genesis you can point to.

    This is a fanboy linguistic hijack.... more akin to social engineering. This is not the way media and language should interact - with media subgroups settling unilatertally on new definitions of words.

    "Evolution" it is not. "Manufacturing" is what it is.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    "Evolution" is an organic process. Simply deciding one word now means something completely different cuz it sounds cool is not an organic process, its a deliberate thing with a genesis you can point to.

    This is a fanboy linguistic hijack.... more akin to social engineering. This is not the way media and language should interact - with media subgroups settling unilatertally on new definitions of words.

    "Evolution" it is not. "Manufacturing" is what it is.

  11. #11

    Default

    I think you should relax. I can't remember the last time a show or comic with any amount of fantasy element didn't use the word mythology at some point to describe something. It just is what it is now, no point in getting upset about it.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    "Evolution" is an organic process. Simply deciding one word now means something completely different cuz it sounds cool is not an organic process, its a deliberate thing with a genesis you can point to.

    This is a fanboy linguistic hijack.... more akin to social engineering. This is not the way media and language should interact - with media subgroups settling unilatertally on new definitions of words.

    "Evolution" it is not. "Manufacturing" is what it is.

    Yep, there was a concerted effort throughout the lands to re-brand mythology. How could I not see it........

  13. #13
    Senior Member SephirothDZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    "Evolution" is an organic process. Simply deciding one word now means something completely different cuz it sounds cool is not an organic process
    Oh, then please enlighten me on why the word gay went from meaning happy to representing a homosexual.

    Point being - the english language changes all the time, don't get your undies in a bundle because some people modified the definition of the world to include completely fictional characters alongside other fictional characters and fictional events.
    Last edited by SephirothDZX; 12-12-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedged View Post
    I think you should relax. I can't remember the last time a show or comic with any amount of fantasy element didn't use the word mythology at some point to describe something. It just is what it is now, no point in getting upset about it.
    It's upset like toothache-upset, not march-on-Washington upset. Don't worry - I can compartmentalize. :)

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    Yep, there was a concerted effort throughout the lands to re-brand mythology. How could I not see it........
    D'oh! And he slinks off with a weak parting snarky comment, cuz the rational arguments died a sad, pathetic death.

    (takes debate victory bow)

    Now, let me tell you all what I think of the fiscal cliff...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •