Default What Did You Read - December 2012

New month (well not that new any more)...

Squadron Supreme v1: The Pre-War Years - Not as good as Supreme Power, but still decent - and Gary Frank is on top form. Annoyingly I planned to go on to read the Howard Chaykin run straight after and have realised that Ultimate Power fits in-between so I have to seek that out first.

Vertigo Resurrected #1: Shoot - For some reason I thought this was going to be all issues of Hellblazer, but it's not. Other than the Shoot story itself (which should have been in the Hellblazer: Setting Sun TPB - dammit) it's mostly short stories from the various anthology comic Vertigo have done - half of which I already have. It's still a decent book though. The biggest revelation is Jim Lee showing that he's actually a very talented artist - and making it all the more tragic that he usually draws in a crappy style.

Empowered v1 - Not really that funny.

Marvel Knights 4 v2: The Stuff of Nightmares, v3: Divine Timex and v4: Impossible Things Happen Every Day - I'm enjoying this well enough. Not enough to actually keep once I've finished them though. I was quite annoyed by the story in which Reed insists they send a couple of innocent Inhuman runaways back to an unfair caste system though.

I think I forgot to order some of the end of the Squadron Supreme stuff. Still hated when JMS left. :(

Q - Is it Jim Lee you don't normally like or is it Scott Williams' inks over him?

I never bothered with Empowered because I thought what you typed would be the case.

The MK 4 title, if I remember correctly, got better as it went on. I missed it when it got cancelled.

I was reminded to look for it by last month's post, so I picked up a used copy of Green Lantern: Rebirth HC from Amazon. I knew how it ended, but had never read it and wanted the HC to go along with all my other GL HC's. Good stuff. If I had been a GL hardcore fan I likely would have gushed over it like everyone else, but for me it was a fun start that kicked off a bunch of cool stories.

Read Walking Dead v. 17 yesterday too. Whoa.... was NOT prepared for what just happened. I assume a few of you haven't read it so I'll stop here. :(

I've been home sick since Tuesday and managed to read 25 comics yesterday, the above included. Maybe some more today...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    I think I forgot to order some of the end of the Squadron Supreme stuff. Still hated when JMS left. :(
    I run a bit hot and cold on Howard Chaykin's work so I'll see how that turns out...

Q - Is it Jim Lee you don't normally like or is it Scott Williams' inks over him?
    I couldn't tell you for sure. Probably both. I'm not a fan of that super-slick inking style and I'm not a fan of the old super-long legs and superficially dynamic, but at the same type stiff art. For what it's worth I think Jim Lee did a decent job in Batman: Black and White and one the one page he did for 100 bullets as well.

The MK 4 title, if I remember correctly, got better as it went on. I missed it when it got cancelled.
    I've since read the TPB that finishes that run and it felt like it kind of petered out. The writer was trying to do interesting things here and there but most of it didn't work that well for me. In the final issue he paid a bit of lip-service to the story that irritated me, but it didn't quite ring true for me.

Read Walking Dead v. 17 yesterday too. Whoa.... was NOT prepared for what just happened. I assume a few of you haven't read it so I'll stop here. :(
    Good - I'm only up to 15.