Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the current main serie(s) for GI JOE from IDW ?

I wanna get into the GI Joe comics from IDW but there are so many different titles from the serie that I get lost. So can any pros tell me what are the main serie(s) I should be hunting for ? Also those Cobra comics, are they a limited serie or are they still on-going ?
    Last edited by Jack00; 12-12-2012 at 12:38 AM.

There's GI:JOE written by Chuck Dixon ( soon Fred Van Lente) Snake Eyes written by Chuck Dixon, which is ending, and Cobra written by Mike Costas, Chuck Dixon will be writing a new Joes book called GI:JOE- Special Missions , so it would be GI:JOE, Cobra, and GI:JOE-Special Missions starting 2013. Or if you were a fan of the old comic the original writer Larry Hama writes- GI:JOE The real American hero , its very much a throw back comic starting all the same characters as they were in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwolfdog View Post
    Or if you were a fan of the old comic the original writer Larry Hama writes- GI:JOE The real American hero , its very much a throw back comic starting all the same characters as they were in the 90s.
    and is a continuing story
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt

I took a look at the previews magasin tody at my lcs and I saw that the main GI Joe title is rebooting at #1, is that the one you're talking about Van Lente will be taking on ?
    And also, I see there is 2 comics cobra, one named only COBRA and another one labled CROBRA Gi Joe under it. Are they 2 different books ?

Not alot of GI Joe fans here huh ?

Im a big fan of the Snake Eyes series..the only time i read the other Joe books is when they crossover with Snakeeyes....Since it looks like the series is ending in January and it looks like the upcoming Special Missons series doesnt seem to even have nothing to do with Snakeyes, ill problay take my exit with the series when Snake Eyes ends

OK so here it goes it started as GI Joe which is the main book. GI Joe origins and Cobra miniseries. Then GI Joe Cobra II continued where Cobra left off and was a series until the Cobra Command Arc ended which restarted and renumbered Gi joe and Gi Joe Cobra vol 3 both at 1. At this time they also started Gi Joe Snake Eyes which became Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The numbering/naming is confusing, but it actually is all good. I enjoyed them all.
    I like swords.

And what about the reboot? Does it work? Who are the authors?

It's not a reboot supposedly.
    I like swords.

The latest reboot was the beginning of IDW's run a few years back. Anyways, I'm loving all their G.I. Joe stuff, they're really giving the creators room to breath.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    It's not a reboot supposedly.
    So, what is it?

A renumbering and taking it a new direction. But all the IDW stuff supposedly did happen.

Also I forgot to mention the GI Joe Real American Hero series which is it's own continuity separate from the rest of the IDW series and a direct continuation of the old Marvel series including Larry Hama writing it.
    I like swords.

Jack00 - I've been looking to jump into the series as well, it's very confusing

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Got a bit of nostaglia and I bought some old Joe comics off of Comixology. Reading issues #21-30 right now of the old Marvel series.

There were, along with X-Men, the first comics I ever read as a kid.

My question is: I know that GI Joe: A Real American Hero is using the same continuity as the old Marvel series. How does it stack up? One thing that is sticking out to me now as I reread these old comics, is that there are A LOT of characters. There is hardly any time to focus on any specific ones (besides Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow). Of course, back when I was a kid maybe I didn't care so much and I just wanted to buy the new toys/figures as I read about them (which, I'm sure now, was the sales/marketing point).

Have they killed off any Joes? That would certainly help with all the superfluous characters (for lack of a better way to trim the numbers down).
    Top 10:Cyclops. Nightcrawler. Magik. Juggernaut (Cain Marko). Magneto. Hulk. Mr.Sinister. Emma Frost. Deadpool. Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Jack00 - I've been looking to jump into the series as well, it's very confusing
    Yeah, IDW seems to like to throw out a whole lot of different series of a comic, but keep it all in continuity, which makes it difficult to figure out what to read and when to read it. I had this trouble with Transformers and had to constantly reference wikipaedia to figure out what order everything was in.

I plan on jumping on the new GI Joe title and not worrying about past stuff too much.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title