Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    Default What if you put DKR Bane in the real world?

    How long would he last? Just picture a built terrorist with a Sean Connery type voice causing chaos and destruction.

    (I'm doing this for fun and laughs)
    Last edited by Fanofthegoblins; 12-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.

  2. #2
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    People would actually think against him unlike TDR Batman who never thinks or does detective works.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Bane with or without his army of mercenaries?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Bane with or without his army of mercenaries?
    With his army of mercenaries.
    Last edited by Fanofthegoblins; 12-11-2012 at 11:10 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    394

    Default

    I think he'd last a good long while.

    Think about terrorist leaders and dictators in the real world. The most hunted man by America eluded capture for a decade, and he was sickly and rumored to be on dialysis. Bane's in much better shape, physically.

    And if he kept his mercenaries? I got the impression the League of Shadows ninjas were pretty hardcore and more competent than your average Al Qaeda stooge, and definitely just as loyal. The level of infiltration they displayed (the SWAT team in "Batman Begins," the sewers and Talia in "The Dark Knight Rises") was leagues beyond anything Al Qaeda could do.

    I actually wish the movie had gone into this more - when I saw the prologue, I was eagerly anticipating an exploration of the mystique and fanaticism behind Bane's followers, as exemplified by the expression on the ninja who willingly gave up his life on the plane. His expression was so full of awe and joy just to be able to die for Bane - and while we saw this devotion later ("Search his body, then I will kill you"), we never really explored where it came from.

  6. #6

    Default

    I think there would have to be a bit more plausibility to Bane's mask for him to work in the real world. So it feeds him an aerosol pain killer, but where does it come from? There's no reservoir, nothing that needs to be constantly replaced when it goes empty like there would have to be in real life. Does he sleep and bathe with the mask on? How does he eat and drink? The second fight with Batman showed that once the mask ceases to function he shuts down under debilitating pain within a minute or two, so doing virtually anything without it would seem to be impossible. The more you think about it, the more scenarios come to mind. How does he shave, or has he had electrolysis done on his whole head and face so he won't have to? Has he ever been with a woman? With his years in the prison and then his need to wear the mask for the rest of his life, I get the distinct impression Bane may have very well died a virgin. (With the fake-out on his origin story, we never get to know just how long he was actually in the pit. Was he born there just as Talia was? If not, why was he there, and for how long? All unknown.)

    All that aside though, as an internationally known terrorist (which he had to be, since Gordon knew his name upon seeing him without hearing his name spoken), I think there is a strong parallel between Bane and Osama Bin Laden. Both commanded an army of fanatical followers, both attacked large American cities by blowing up buildings and causing thousands of casualties, both had potentially debilitating health conditions and both died rather anti-climactic deaths. Going from triumphant to stone dead in one second at the hands of Catwoman is not that different from peeking out your bedroom door at the approaching Navy Seals and being shot in the head in your pajamas.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    531

    Default

    He'd last about ten minutes. The reason real world terrorists last so long is that after their plan has come to fruition they retreat straight to the shadows.

    Bane is all about the grandstanding. A well placed sniper would take him out sharpish.

  8. #8
    Junior Member The Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Well, he's no less weirdly dressed than your average fetishist from the village. And with that accent he could get a taxi disc no trouble.

    I think he'd fit in just fine.

    The comic book Bane could become a Major League Baseball player with the amount of performance enhancing drugs he's taking.

    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

  9. #9

    Default

    He wouldn't have the technology for his mask and be in excruciating pain.

    However no one would be able to best him in sick freestyle and we would be doomed!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haytil View Post
    I actually wish the movie had gone into this more - when I saw the prologue, I was eagerly anticipating an exploration of the mystique and fanaticism behind Bane's followers, as exemplified by the expression on the ninja who willingly gave up his life on the plane. His expression was so full of awe and joy just to be able to die for Bane - and while we saw this devotion later ("Search his body, then I will kill you"), we never really explored where it came from.
    It's not so far fetch. Bin Laden's men crashed those planes into the buildings with them inside. Some people are just loyal to their leaders and their people.

  11. #11

    Default

    If he actually tried to occupy a major city, he would be shot and killed pretty quickly.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

  12. #12

    Default

    He'd probably just be running a Middle Eastern or African country and the West would just be selling him weapons.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    If he actually tried to occupy a major city, he would be shot and killed pretty quickly.
    Not to mention people would have a hard time understanding him. If you were to wear a mask and talk on a microphone, you wouldn't be sounding too good.

    edit - wait....I think he was clever. Think about it, would you really snipe a guy who told you he has a bomb well hidden in your city and one of you have the detonator/trigger?
    Last edited by Fanofthegoblins; 12-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    People would actually think against him unlike TDR Batman who never thinks or does detective works.
    Except Batman did loads of detective work in The Dark Knight, there simply wasn't enough time to do so in DKR.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    I think there would have to be a bit more plausibility to Bane's mask for him to work in the real world. So it feeds him an aerosol pain killer, but where does it come from? There's no reservoir, nothing that needs to be constantly replaced when it goes empty like there would have to be in real life. Does he sleep and bathe with the mask on? How does he eat and drink? The second fight with Batman showed that once the mask ceases to function he shuts down under debilitating pain within a minute or two, so doing virtually anything without it would seem to be impossible. The more you think about it, the more scenarios come to mind. How does he shave, or has he had electrolysis done on his whole head and face so he won't have to? Has he ever been with a woman? With his years in the prison and then his need to wear the mask for the rest of his life, I get the distinct impression Bane may have very well died a virgin.
    All of this just means he had a pretty shitty personal life, but it doesn't really have any bearing on his effectiveness as a terrorist leader.

    Quote Originally Posted by idlewildered View Post
    He'd last about ten minutes. The reason real world terrorists last so long is that after their plan has come to fruition they retreat straight to the shadows.

    Bane is all about the grandstanding.
    Bane actually went to great lengths to keep himself and his agenda hidden until the very end. He remained undetected in the sewers for a great length of time, and it was only the incompetence of his men (who he was angry at for risking their secret) that tipped Gordon off. Even then, they eluded capture until they could enact their plan.

    Nobody knew Bane's real name and there were nothing but rumors about his past. Even the CIA didn't have more than a few inklings about who he was - they didn't even know what the mask was for.

    Bane only started the grandstanding once he was untouchable - and then, it was for effect, to rile up the masses.

    A well placed sniper would take him out sharpish.
    The whole point was that Bane removed all the snipers from action (burying the cops underground). And he was invincible in the sense that if anyone touched him, he could still destroy the city (via his anonymous triggerman), meaning nobody would risk taking him down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    It's not so far fetch. Bin Laden's men crashed those planes into the buildings with them inside. Some people are just loyal to their leaders and their people.
    I'm not saying it's far-fetched. It's perfectly believable, I just wish they had actually gone in to what specifically motivates these people to such blind, suicidal devotion.

    Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    If he actually tried to occupy a major city, he would be shot and killed pretty quickly.
    Like General Petraeus was?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •