Default Haunt Volume 1 REVIEW!

Today I will give my reveiw/thoughts on Haunt volume 1. This graphic novel contains the first five issues of Haunt. Haunt is created by Robert Kirkman and Todd McFarelane. When reading this book, I have to admire the artiwork. The artwork in this book is great. Some of the best I have seen so far. However, the artwork is where the positives of this books ends. Haunt Volume 1 is not a good story at all. The main plot comes off as an obvious copy cat of other comic book series. Every time I think about the story I feel like I have something like this before only better well written. Which leads me into my next point, the comic book is not well written. Before I say more, let me say this. I have read both the Walking Dead and Invincible. With a doubt, Robert Kirkman is a good writer. Likewise, McFarlane is good with writing as well as artwork which can't save these issues. The writing was poor to the point where I had to re-read a sentence only to find out some of the grammar was off. Story wise, I didn't care for the character of Dannel Kilgore. He was a character that brought nothing new to what Image Comics had to offer. The character I dislike mainly was his brother Kurt Kilgore. Kurt was such a shellfish prick; he married a woman his brother was in love with which in turn caused Dannel to be the character that he is. The worst is come. Not only did Kurt marry woman his brother was in love with, but he slept with not one but two women. After learning that, I lost all respect for Kurt Kilgore as a character. Black ops agent or not, it doesn't justify him cheating on his wife. And, he had the nerve to say his wife didn't understand him. So to conclude, this volume was done poorly to wear it left me puzzled as to how two great creators Kirkman and McFarlane made such as mess of a series.

I give this book a D-.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_131 Dec. 11 20.25.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	105599

I thought it was terrific! I'm behind and haven't caught with the issues by the new team, but the first volume by McFarlane and Kirkman was great.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, Ghosted, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Mage, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

The fact that Kurt is a dick is good. Its what makes him interesting and causes conflict between the brothers.

Also, book gets better once Casey takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Connect200 View Post
    I had to re-read a sentence only to find out some of the grammar was off.
    Irony is a bitter mistress ;)

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Connect200 View Post
    Black ops agent or not, it doesn't justify him cheating on his wife. And, he had the nerve to say his wife didn't understand him. So to conclude, this volume was done poorly to wear it left me puzzled as to how two great creators Kirkman and McFarlane made such as mess of a series.
    There are things I like about Haunt, its just the things I dislike about it outnumber the things I like about it. The series is a wee bit derivative, the thing is, in a way that plays into a few of the things I like about the series. But what killed the book for me were the two lead characters. The brother who was the black ops agent, he just came off like a lowbrow beefeater, then there was the priest who was just a stuck up prick. I stuck with the series until issue #9, after that I ditched it. In short, I agree with a lot of what you said in your review. I just wouldn't go as far as to give the series a D-, I'd be more likely to give it a C-.

The thing is, I'm not going to shell out 3 dollars for a C- book.

I only pay for books that maintain at least a B average,

I actually liked the first 2 volumes from what I can recall.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Since you gave props to the artwork, you should mention who drew it. Layouts by Greg Capullo, pencils by Ryan Ottley, inks by MacFarlane (and others), and colors by FCO. Agreed the artwork was nice. I actually enjoyed the book in the beginning. I don't think a character needs to be likable to be interesting so Kurt didn't bother me. Dropped the book after Kirkman left though. Casey's stories didn't do anything for me and I didn't like Fox's art style at all.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home