Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    So u conveninetly ignore d universe reboost post- Flashpoint called DC's nu 52?
    4 d record we/SZ r completely OPPOSED 2 racial swapping of xcters with absolute detest(totally h8d Elba in Thor, Sam Fury already exists in Ultimate Marvel) bcuz it diminishes authenticity 2 origin material AND rescinds creativity of nu xcters of different racial, ethnic, gender, religious &/or sexual oriented bakgrounds.

But with dat said d ol' Uncle Sam idea of a xcter is sumwat ancient thus prefer d "guy in a suit" running SHADE & HOMELAND SECURITY but still dnt agree with d racial swap, dey(d writers) shud hv just creatd a brand nu xcter. Well, we/SZ r hoping dis nu Uncle Sam had pwers passd un2 him by d old Uncle Sam mking d nu Uncle Sam a nu & completely different xcter frm d ol' 1.
    Last edited by SilverZeal; 12-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    4 d record we/SZ r completely OPPOSED 2 racial swapping of xcters with absolute detest(totally h8d Elba in Thor, Sam Fury already exists in Ultimate Marvel) bcuz it diminishes authenticity 2 origin material AND rescinds creativity of nu xcters of different racial, ethnic, gender, religious &/or sexual oriented bakgrounds.
    I got about a third of that. Do you really think this serves any purpose? What is an 'xcters'?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Who cares about the color of a character's skin? It's a new continuity and crazier things have happened.
    So if Storm was changed to a white woman, nobody could mind because who cares about skin color, right?

I agree equality is the ideal to strive for in life, but this doesn't mean skin color, sexuality, gender, and other things that make us up don't mean anything. We're all equal, yes. Doesn't mean Storm should be a Japanese dude in his 50s. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure somebody would appreciate that interpretation. But personally, I do think her race and gender matter to her character, and perhaps even her sexuality. Not to say they can't change any previous characters, but it's perfectly valid that not everyone will agree with those changes.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    So if Storm was changed to a white woman, nobody could mind because who cares about skin color, right?

I agree equality is the ideal to strive for in life, but this doesn't mean skin color, sexuality, gender, and other things that make us up don't mean anything. We're all equal, yes. Doesn't mean Storm should be a Japanese dude in his 50s. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure somebody would appreciate that interpretation. But personally, I do think her race and gender matter to her character, and perhaps even her sexuality. Not to say they can't change any previous characters, but it's perfectly valid that not everyone will agree with those changes.
    According to the world view of some modern fans, the only way to introduce a minority character like Storm would be to cast her in the mold of an existing white character. She could still fly around and control the weather, but she would be called Lady Thor and be from Alfheim instead of Kenya.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    That's one great thing about Morrison, he can easily roll with almost any changes, because he is always on the lookout for new ideas.
    Yep...Morrison is really good at that. I think the Circus of Strange along with Pyg the best new villains Batman has had in years.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

According to the world view of some modern fans, the only way to introduce a minority character like Storm would be to cast her in the mold of an existing white character. She could still fly around and control the weather, but she would be called Lady Thor and be from Alfheim instead of Kenya.
    Some fans say they'd like only new characters to be created, and old characters to be left as is. Where in that are they saying that they have to be in the mold of previous characters, and be knock-offs? For the record, I am fine with changes to old characters, but that doesn't mean I'll agree with every case.

Also, that post did kind of avoid my point. I get of course that Storm being a popular black character meant something especially at the time, so I'm pointing out that skin color oddly enough can mean something. If say, Green Arrow being a white guy isn't allowed to be a part of his character like Storm being a black woman is, what's that say? That society is in a weird place where white people aren't allowed to have an identity? Just food for thought. And for the record, I actually don't care what race Green Arrow is, but it's not racist for somebody to think him being white is part of his character. At least, not any more racist than thinking Storm being black is part of hers. (neither is inherently racist)
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Some fans say they'd like only new characters to be created, and old characters to be left as is. Where in that are they saying that they have to be in the mold of previous characters, and be knock-offs? For the record, I am fine with changes to old characters, but that doesn't mean I'll agree with every case.

Also, that post did kind of avoid my point. I get of course that Storm being a popular black character meant something especially at the time, so I'm pointing out that skin color oddly enough can mean something. If say, Green Arrow being a white guy isn't allowed to be a part of his character like Storm being a black woman is, what's that say? That society is in a weird place where white people aren't allowed to have an identity? Just food for thought. And for the record, I actually don't care what race Green Arrow is, but it's not racist for somebody to think him being white is part of his character. At least, not any more racist than thinking Storm being black is part of hers. (neither is inherently racist)
    Green Arrow is an interesting case. DC tried hard to replace him with a son who was asian, black and white, like Tiger Woods. And according to some fans, possibly gay. Artists and colorists seemed to really struggle with his appearance, and he was pretty bland compared to fiery liberal Oliver Queen. Where is Connor Hawke now? Gone and forgotten, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Thank you for the translation. But wouldn't it be a lot easier for all concerned if these individuals (I wasn't aware there was more than one) simply used correct written English? I'm sure they're perfectly capable of doing so, which makes the persistent and bloodyminded insistence on deliberately using this bizarre form of pidgin English all the more irritating. It's clearly designed to exclude people from the discussion or force them to spend time deciphering it, which is extremely antisocial either way.
    I mostly agree with you. It was originally because their keyboard was mostly broken, but since then, this collective in Africa (I've forgotten which nation exactly) has been able to upgrade their hardware. Many people who interact with them have become accustomed to the writing pattern, and generally said "no, don't change, it adds a bit of color." At this point, reading it is almost second nature to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I got about a third of that. Do you really think this serves any purpose? What is an 'xcters'?
    "Characters". It took me about two minutes to figure that one out.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

BANNED

Or alternatively, just use Thor Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I mostly agree with you. It was originally because their keyboard was mostly broken, but since then, this collective in Africa (I've forgotten which nation exactly) has been able to upgrade their hardware. Many people who interact with them have become accustomed to the writing pattern, and generally said "no, don't change, it adds a bit of color." At this point, reading it is almost second nature to me.
    I didn't know any of that, thank you. Unfortunately, I still consider it to be antisocial and annoying to deliberately write in a way which is frequently almost incomprehensible to others.

Genuinely did not see that. But then, I must admit, I had little inclination to work it out.

Reminds me of the "I speak jive" scene in Airplane.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I think the X was used for the "ch". I'm not sure if that's using a greek chi, or just mimicking Xtina and Xmas.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think the X was used for the "ch". I'm not sure if that's using a greek chi, or just mimicking Xtina and Xmas.
    I got it from Xmas.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

What I would like to know is what happened to Father Time. I thought he was the head of SHADE or is the head of one branch and Uncle Sam is the head of another branch.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

BANNED

Reminds me of the "I speak jive" scene in Airplane.
    There are definitely similarities. Though that scene was funny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    And if they are new and minority, good luck selling that. Even if it's a critically received, it'll still flop on the sales.

Sorry, this is the only way for minority to get sold... Sadly.
    I was under the impression that selling minorities was illegal. My mistake.

Anyway, the easiest way to sell a book with a minority character is to do two things primarily--one, not hammer the reader over the head with the fact that the character is a minority and two, make it not suck. Pretty simple.