Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Okay now we are just overreacting over nothing

yeah I'm kind of with you. The concept of Uncle Sam is a little cornball for 2012. Rather just have some dude dressed modernly as the head of the organization
    Not cornball if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Galosengen View Post
    I don't really have much interest in Uncle Sam if he doesn't look like you know Uncle Sam, that's kinda half the fun of the character.

Not upset but not really interested ether
    Agreed. He's supposed to look like the iconic Uncle Sam image, that was a part of his charm........I wasn't reading the series, though, so whatever.

As for the original Uncle Sam supposedly being too cheesy for this modern era, I felt the portrayal of the character by Geoff Johns in Infinite Crisis was great.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post
    I have no idea why people get upset that DC would update a characters ethnicity, sex or sexuality to better reflect modern times. These characters were created in a white, male dominated time and that's fine. But WHY NOT change it given the chance with the New 52?
    I doubt anyone's particularly upset. All these Freedom Fighters titles aren't exactly selling in big numbers, so there aren't many fans out there to voice an opinion, either way.

If you think they should change the ethnicity of characters to better reflect the times (And when better than the DCnU situation?), why do such with B through D-listers? If you want to see ethnicity changes that mean something, why not scream to the skies that they should have changed the ethnicity of Superman, Wonder Woman, and/or the Flash? That would be more of a statement than changing the ethnicity of a character most people don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I don't see the big deal. This is one of those cases like Electro in the new Spider-Man sequel where you'd really have to reach to be outraged.
    I'm not outraged, I just think it's dumb.

As for Electro in the new Spider-Man sequel, I would've preferred his physical imagery stay more true to the original comic character, but I don't really care. I do think they could've chosen a better Black actor than Jamie Foxx for the role, but perhaps he'll surprise me. For some reason, I can't see him playing the character (Then again, I thought the same of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, but she did remarkably well).

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Interesting that they seem to be expanding SHADE.

Father Time.

Uncle Sam.

Mother Superior?

Brother John?

Sister Sledge?

Aunt Flow?
    I'd prefer Aunt Esther over Aunt Flow.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Not cornball if done right.
    Ehhh, the guy on posters who wants you to join the army or buy war bonds is one thing, but that same guy dressed up with the top hat and the goatee and the whole outfit going around fighting crime is another.

I like the imagery of the posters, but I don't think he works as a full character.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Ehhh, the guy on posters who wants you to join the army or buy war bonds is one thing, but that same guy dressed up with the top hat and the goatee and the whole outfit going around fighting crime is another.

I like the imagery of the posters, but I don't think he works as a full character.

He works just fine if written well. Infinite Crisis #1 being a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yes, which is awful by the way.
    Hey now, that's a little harsh. It wasn't "awful", it was just a lackluster cartoon that was "far worse than barely passable".

And the new Uncle Sam is fine. This is just an updated look that fits better with our more modern age.
    Last edited by Booshman; 12-11-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    And the new Uncle Sam is fine. This is just an updated look that fits better with our more modern age.
    Updated look that fits better with our more modern age? lol, he looks like a generic government agent who happens to be Black. He's like a third-rate Mr. Bones (An original character I liked, judging by his appearances in Andreyko's old Manhunter series).
    Last edited by Christopher Cross Is God; 12-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.

BANNED

This is ludicrous. Uncle Sam is not a character you can update-his design was based on an iconic image from American history which is recognized all over the world. This makes no sense.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    This is ludicrous. Uncle Sam is not a character you can update-his design was based on an iconic image from American history which is recognized all over the world. This makes no sense.
    But he evolved into the multi-ethnic Patriot years ago in Ostrander's Spectre, who still had the ability to take on the appearance of Uncle Sam when he felt it was appropriate.

Can't say I liked the design of Patriot, though.

My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    But he evolved into the multi-ethnic Patriot years ago in Ostrander's Spectre, who still had the ability to take on the appearance of Uncle Sam when he felt it was appropriate.

And how long did The Patriot last? As I recall, he appeared precisely once after Ostrander introduced him.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    And how long did The Patriot last? As I recall, he appeared precisely once after Ostrander introduced him.
    In JSA: Our Worlds at War, right?

Still, next time Uncle Sam showed up here referenced his Patriot ID and explained that he chose his Uncle Sam look on that occasion. So he can choose other appearances, too.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

WOW.

That is one bad costume. That costume makes Disco Collar Nightwing and New 52 Tim Drake look like a million bucks.

BANNED

Ah yes, the design-horror of the American talisman.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Interesting that they seem to be expanding SHADE.

Father Time.

Uncle Sam.

Mother Superior?

Brother John?

Sister Sledge?

Aunt Flow?
    Brother Blood

Mother Mayhem

Sister Slay

Big Daddy Trigon

:)

I should have picked up Human Bomb.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

i really liked Palmiotti and Gray's last 2 Freedom Fighters books so im a bit sad to see those versions of the characters gone. i thought Uncle Sam actually looked kinda cool in the grey trench coat. as far as Sam's current appearance and ethnicity it's pretty clear they're setting him up to be DC's Nick Fury. dont know if it will last but i bet the original will be back some day.

As long as he doesn't wear the Stars and Stripes outfit and it looks to just be a code name i don't see the problem.

I did like the original Uncle Sam as cheesy as it was i thought he had an original power base.