Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Default Peter Cannon Thunderbolt discussion.

I just read issues 1-4 of this series and have fallen completely in love with it, the whole story about Cannon creating the dragon and the intense fight with the man in the tiger mask was just epic on so many levels. Count me in for every issue moving forward and I'm so glad Dynamite has this series!

The art by Lau is really impressive too, he's truly one of Dynamite's gems and a great up and coming talent in this business, phenomenal writing by Darnall and Ross too.

My Favorite original Charlton hero. Some people felt issue #1 was a little slow, but I just think it laid the groundwork for an excellent series. Plus they kicked it off with an unpublished PAM story, just love this book so much! As soon as my shipments arrive I cant wait to read it each month!

I like it very much. It's influenced by Watchmen ans is better than Ozymandias. I hope it finds its public in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    I like it very much. It's influenced by Watchmen ans is better than Ozymandias. I hope it finds its public in this market.
    Actually, Peter Cannon was created more than 20 years before the Watchmen and the story isn't really similar at all. What made you think this? LoL.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i'm really liking this new series, the character has promise.

also i really dig Alex Ross's costume re-design for Thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    i'm really liking this new series, the character has promise.

also i really dig Alex Ross's costume re-design for Thunderbolt.
    Yep, as much as I liked the original costume, this version is much more modern and makes more sense.

I really liked issue 4, myself. I'm hoping to see who/what this mysterious dark man in the jacket is all about and if this woman who seems to be stalking Peter Cannon is going to be a friend or foe, or even possibly a love interest. So many great things going on in this book right now, also I wan't to find out what's up with Tabu and if he's real or a figment of Peter's imagination, I'm hoping for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Actually, Peter Cannon was created more than 20 years before the Watchmen and the story isn't really similar at all. What made you think this? LoL.
    The fact that the creators of the current title said so. LOL

The fact that the creators of the current title said so. LOL
    Well I find that odd since Peter Cannon and his story predates Watchmen by over two decades, but okay.

Also, since the story is completely different than Watchmen I would disagree. Not only would I disagree, but I would probably say you'd have an easier time comparing a Corvette to dog feces.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Well I find that odd since Peter Cannon and his story predates Watchmen by over two decades, but okay.

Also, since the story is completely different than Watchmen I would disagree. Not only would I disagree, but I would probably say you'd have an easier time comparing a Corvette to dog feces.
    It's not odd. It's just that you don't understand what "influence" means. Watchmen has influenced many comics, including comics that started before Watchmen. If you were aware of Thunderbolt as it existed before Watchmen as I am, you would see the obvious influence on the current series. What you should have done is find out this interview to see what influence the authors meant.

"Of course, Ross there refers to the fact that Thunderbolt served as the initial inspiration for "Watchmen's" Ozymandias, and the artist and his writer have made no secret of the impact Moore and Dave Gibbons' classic series have had on their new "Peter Cannon" series. "We take a lot of inspiration from what the Peter Cannon legacy is, and of course part of that is how much his legacy affects the most famous graphic novel in comics," Ross said. "His having been recast by Alan Moore has a sizable impact on this drama, and people taking an interest in reading this project will find out how that interest took hold."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39570

I've really enjoyed the book, but for me the comparison is with Iron Fist -- only Peter Cannon is a bit more "confident" in himself.

It's not odd. It's just that you don't understand what "influence" means. Watchmen has influenced many comics, including comics that started before Watchmen. If you were aware of Thunderbolt as it existed before Watchmen as I am, you would see the obvious influence on the current series. What you should have done is find out this interview to see what influence the authors meant.

"Of course, Ross there refers to the fact that Thunderbolt served as the initial inspiration for "Watchmen's" Ozymandias, and the artist and his writer have made no secret of the impact Moore and Dave Gibbons' classic series have had on their new "Peter Cannon" series. "We take a lot of inspiration from what the Peter Cannon legacy is, and of course part of that is how much his legacy affects the most famous graphic novel in comics," Ross said. "His having been recast by Alan Moore has a sizable impact on this drama, and people taking an interest in reading this project will find out how that interest took hold."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39570
    I think your stating "Watchmen has influenced many comics, including comics that started before Watchmen" is a tad misleading.

Unless Alan Moore travelled back in time with copies of Watchmen or something, it can't have any influence on comic books produced before it was conceived and printed. Now, it may have had an impact on later updates / revivals of those earlier established comic book characters, but that's a slightly different thing than actually influencing "comics that started before Watchmen".
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If they're trying to model Peter Cannon after Watchmen then they're doing a terrible job, I see absolutely no influence or similarities between the two whatsoever. Regardless of what they claim they're doing. So yeah.....good luck with that.

As it stands, Thunderbolt is a great series that comes off as original and I'm certainly invested for the long run.

So I'm going to spell it out for those who have a hard time:
    The fact that Peter Cannon has made his identity public, is rich and is a mysterious threat (in this case, the dragon) is directly influenced from the Ozymandias character in Watchmen. These are not elements that ever were in the previous Thunderbolt series. It would be very difficult not to see similarities between Thunderbolt and Ozymandias (that is, beyond total unfamiliarity with Watchmen) since the latter was patterned after the former and the new version takes after Ozymandias.

Secondly, "comics" doesn't only mean "a comic book issue" so the sentence "Watchmen has influenced many comics, including comics that started before Watchmen" is perfectly correct since "comics" can refer to ongoing magazines.

So I'm going to spell it out for those who have a hard time:
    The fact that Peter Cannon has made his identity public, is rich and is a mysterious threat (in this case, the dragon) is directly influenced from the Ozymandias character in Watchmen. These are not elements that ever were in the previous Thunderbolt series. It would be very difficult not to see similarities between Thunderbolt and Ozymandias (that is, beyond total unfamiliarity with Watchmen) since the latter was patterned after the former and the new version takes after Ozymandias.

Secondly, "comics" doesn't only mean "a comic book issue" so the sentence "Watchmen has influenced many comics, including comics that started before Watchmen" is perfectly correct since "comics" can refer to ongoing magazines.
    And that Ozymandias origin hasn't been used before Watchmen? Yeah.....that's what I thought. As it stands, regardless of what the creators say or Watchmen fanboy's I see no major resemblance to Watchmen whatsoever and I've read stories similar to Cannon's (but yet different) long before Watchmen existed. So yeah, believe everything you read on the internet, it's working out great for you.