Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70
  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Depends on your outlook of the overall picture. My iPad isn't an environmental hazard because all its components are safely contained inside. And someday it's chemical parts will be recycled into other devices and not released into the environment. So it's a pretty safe system of environmental safety.
    Lithium Ion battery contained inside-Harmful. Electricity produced to provide you constant access to your comics-Environmentally wasteful. Many components inside your Ipad are NOT recyclable, and it cannot be dumped in a landfill, nor will the plastic components degrade for many thousands of years.

    Print comics-Newspaper-100% recyclable.

    Come on, you can prefer your digital version, but your argument (or lack there of) that these digital versions are a boon to the environment holds no weight.

    Shenanigans!

  2. #47
    Exiled to Earth F The Valeyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Since there isn't a general comics sub forum I'm not sure why it matters.

    Edit: ooooo CBR should give us a dedicated digital subforum

    That's not a bad idea actually. Plenty to discuss. Marvel AR & Infinity Comics. Digital Codes. Reading on the best tablet. There are some Indies that release digital only.
    "The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature. Somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation."

  3. #48
    Junior Member Queso6p4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    This is my perspective exactly. If I ever go all-digital--and I've considered it--it will be because of dead trees' unreasonable travel expense, storage space requirements, and cost of maintenance/protection.
    I definitely hear you on that. Those are the same reasons that I would switch.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    I could see the new comic market going digital in the long term. However, the back issue market for printed books will never die. Actually it would probably grow.

    To be honest, not a lot of the crap produced today is very collectible long term. An issue here and there, sure. But for the most part?

    Now, if they limited digital print runs... That would be interesting.
    Another good point. I only started getting into Amazon's trades this year and went crazy! They're such a convenient way of catching up on stuff you've missed. I was also wondering how the digital market would affect back issue desirability.

    As a lot of people have pointed out, the eventual switch to primary digital distribution isn't too far off, but I'll keep buying physical as it's what I grew up with. Also, even though it's not directly related to the comics' actual medium, there's just something about going to a comic shop and talking to the staff there about comic related issues and other things that online discussions, as of now, just can't touch. There's just a physicality and social aspect to traditional collecting that's absent from digital consumption. Then again, it's much more convenient to break out a digital comic to share with someone than a physical one. Oh well, let's see what the future brings.
    My blog where I mostly do comic reviews

    Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

  4. #49
    Junior Member mystmaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    106

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    http://www.comicvine.com/news/print-...k-like/145668/

    I think digital might over take print completely.
    I don't think so. I think print is better for Graphics, in fact I was very close to buying a number of digital Comic book items but after some very long consideration decided not to. I would need the 'screen' to look like paper and it would need to be the exact size of a comic book. I'd still need both, however, but am surely not wealthy enough to do that!

    I'm cool with the tech side of things but I have to have the 'item' in my hands... I mean after all your digital copy isn't going to go for hundreds of dollars someday! But it would be nice to 'pass it on' to a loved one or family member someday!

    Excellent discussion, very important question!

  5. #50
    BLOOD OF THE MACHINE Mechano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,991

    Default

    After a few more Spider-man 700 debacles, print is all they will offer...

  6. #51
    BLOOD OF THE MACHINE Mechano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Montana View Post
    Lithium Ion battery contained inside-Harmful. Electricity produced to provide you constant access to your comics-Environmentally wasteful. Many components inside your Ipad are NOT recyclable, and it cannot be dumped in a landfill, nor will the plastic components degrade for many thousands of years.

    Print comics-Newspaper-100% recyclable.

    Come on, you can prefer your digital version, but your argument (or lack there of) that these digital versions are a boon to the environment holds no weight.

    Shenanigans!
    depends on how long you plan on using the device. if you kept it for 10 years, it probably would be more friendly to the environment. if you replace your tab every couple years like most will probably do, then I would say not.

  7. #52
    Junior Member Tristan_MC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I think that there's a place for both. I love the feel of a comic book and being able to turn to a page right away. With digital, I can still read it, but it takes away this "personal" feeling. I feel a bit disconnected. Anyone understand where I'm coming from?

  8. #53
    of Earth-1610 RockyBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan_MC View Post
    I think that there's a place for both. I love the feel of a comic book and being able to turn to a page right away. With digital, I can still read it, but it takes away this "personal" feeling. I feel a bit disconnected. Anyone understand where I'm coming from?
    Oh, I understand. It's similar to the difference between seeing a blockbuster movie at home and seeing it in the theatre.

  9. #54
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    I think the future of comics is digital for the individual chapters or issues, with a print version available for the collection. This doesn't mean we're going to be limited to the Comixology or Kindle server-sphere. A small publisher can just as easily create a CBR file for their books every chapter. Without the cost of print and shipping, I think we'll see digital really thrive for the smaller indy publishers and individual cartoonists even moreso than the Big Two.

    As far as the Big Two go, I think we'll see them eventually drop the print comics for lesser-sellers and stick with their Bat-X-Super-Spidey-Avengers books in print every month, while stuff like Demon Knights or Ms Marvel will become digital-first chapters. Maybe even shorter chapters like the DC digital-first strips at 99 cents. Something like Firestorm might struggle as a $3 print book, but might thrive as a smaller 99 cent monthly.

  10. #55
    Kiss My Axe! aNamored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion
    Posts
    5,020

    Default

    I've gone to print myself after ditching the iPad. My impulse purchases are fewer. I prefer reading the physical floppies and/or tpbs.

    I understand digital is the direction companies are heading, but until we can actually own the digital comics and there are price discounts for new material (as is in print), I will politely pass outside of using the digital codes to 'virtually' download store issues I've already paid for.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

  11. #56
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,234

    Default

    the problem is a 99cent comic isn't making enough to pay the creators of the book. they'd really have to scrape the bottom of the talent pool to get anyone to accept the rate offered. unless the sales were so high it balanced out, but do we see that happening? nobody can really say until they try it.

    in theory I'd buy more books at 99cents, than 3-4dollars, but that's only in theory. nobody is trying it, so nobody has any facts.

  12. #57
    of Earth-1610 RockyBanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    the problem is a 99cent comic isn't making enough to pay the creators of the book. they'd really have to scrape the bottom of the talent pool to get anyone to accept the rate offered. unless the sales were so high it balanced out, but do we see that happening? nobody can really say until they try it.

    in theory I'd buy more books at 99cents, than 3-4dollars, but that's only in theory. nobody is trying it, so nobody has any facts.
    On the contrary, several publishers are using Comixology to publish 99-cent series. In particular, DC has several ongoing 99-cent series: Legends of the Dark Knight, Arrow, Smallville Season 11, Batman: Arkham Unhinged, Batman Beyond, Batman: Li'l Gotham.

  13. #58
    Senior Member The Adventurer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    On the contrary, several publishers are using Comixology to publish 99-cent series. In particular, DC has several ongoing 99-cent series: Legends of the Dark Knight, Arrow, Smallville Season 11, Batman: Arkham Unhinged, Batman Beyond, Batman: Li'l Gotham.
    Slave Labor Graphics' has a bunch to, and it definitely makes me more inclined to try them out on the whole.

    There's also a lot of wiggle room given by digital. Can't afford to put together a 32 page full color month at .99 cents? Turn it into a 15 page bi-weekly at .99 cents. Get the cash flow going, and not have to sit on your hands for things like printing and solicitation months before hand. You just can't get that flexibility in format/cost in print currently as you can with a digital platform.

  14. #59
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,234

    Default

    oh yeah, those digital first series DC is doing. I forgot about those.

  15. #60
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    the problem is a 99cent comic isn't making enough to pay the creators of the book. they'd really have to scrape the bottom of the talent pool to get anyone to accept the rate offered. unless the sales were so high it balanced out, but do we see that happening? nobody can really say until they try it.

    in theory I'd buy more books at 99cents, than 3-4dollars, but that's only in theory. nobody is trying it, so nobody has any facts.
    Really? No one has any facts on 99 cent comics?

    DC published the following 99 cent digital comics:
    Arrow
    Batman: Arkham Unleashed
    Batman Beyond
    Superman Beyond
    Justice League Beyond
    Smallville
    Lil Gotham
    Legends of the Dark Knight
    Ame-Comi Girls

    ...and has more planned.

    Smallville often makes Comixolgy's Top Ten sellers worldwide and they are expanding the digital strip by an extra issue every month to make it a properly weekly like most of the rest. (Lil Gotham comes out on holidays.)

    Tell me again about that 'lack of facts'

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •