Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Default Print vs. Digital: What Will The Future Of The Comics Market Look Like?

http://www.comicvine.com/news/print-...k-like/145668/

I think digital might over take print completely.
    Last edited by Wild_Child; 12-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Try not to go too far out on that limb.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

At some point electronic paper will be viable. Tablets are a really primitive version. That plus a new generation of comic readers, I can see it happening. Look at what happened to music like vinyl and even CDs. No one under 30 misses that.

I just got an iPad a month ago. And let me say... reading comics on it is a dream. As of January I'll be pretty much digital only. So more comics available digitally is okay by me.

The thing about digital is it eliminates comic scarcity, since comics are always available. Which is pretty great. Also somewhat cheaper (if you wait a month, or are digital exclusive)

As for the future, print will continue to become more and more marginalized due to costs and shrinking accessibility. So yes, Digital is probably the future of comics, but not quite yet because the user base isn't quite there yet due to cost of entrance ($600 tablets are not for everyone)

I don't want to lose the paper but the future is upon us .
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokebox View Post
    At some point electronic paper will be viable. Tablets are a really primitive version. That plus a new generation of comic readers, I can see it happening. Look at what happened to music like vinyl and even CDs. No one under 30 misses that.
    CDs are still sold, and vinyl is back.

As for digital vs. print: in my experience, most comics fans are also collectors, and collectors need a physical object to own and hold. Print comics are unlikely ever to die out. And if they did, then comics as a medium would disappear completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    http://www.comicvine.com/news/print-...k-like/145668/

I think digital might over take print completely.
    In all honesty, digital is going to not only take over with comic books but with other entertainment as well. The digital age is coming

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Connect200 View Post
    In all honesty, digital is going to not only take over with comic books but with other entertainment as well. The digital age is coming
    Not anytime soon, judging by the fact that currently, only a fraction of comics sales are digital.
    When the long running British war comic Commando started offering a digital version, subscriptions to the print version almost tripled.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Not anytime soon, judging by the fact that currently, only a fraction of comics sales are digital.
    When the long running British war comic Commando started offering a digital version, subscriptions to the print version almost tripled.
    There's a digital offering of Commando? TO THE INTERNET!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    There's a digital offering of Commando? TO THE INTERNET!
    Go to http://www.commandocomics.com and scroll down to the bottom.

Its got an iPad app! LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

I tried to read comics on a PC but it didnt worked out for me. I am also not into pay and not hold it in your hands type of thing. I want to back and board it, and i want to pull it out again, and not be so dependent to an ipad.

But i am old school, 35 years old and a collector since i was 6 years old, so screw digital. I will be like a dinosaur one day...extinct.

But you are right, the boy and girl of my girlfriend does not need any cds. They all have their pods and youtube. Even a dvd is useless, because you can watch everything for free on the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by sonicx1977 View Post
    I tried to read comics on a PC but it didnt worked out for me. I am also not into pay and not hold it in your hands type of thing. I want to back and board it, and i want to pull it out again, and not be so dependent to an ipad.

But i am old school, 35 years old and a collector since i was 6 years old, so screw digital. I will be like a dinosaur one day...extinct.

But you are right, the boy and girl of my girlfriend does not need any cds. They all have their pods and youtube. Even a dvd is useless, because you can watch everything for free on the internet...
    And someone now will scream "WELCOME TO THE Future old god "
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

All digital and couldn't be happier. No gas expenses. No Fighting traffic. No storage issues. I'm paying $2 or less per issue on average, plus all the great sales comixology is always having. Digital has revived my interest in comics which for years had simply died. Digital has completely removed the stress from comic collecting and let me focus entirely on the fun of getting immersed in the stories, as it should be.
    American Vampire, Atomic Robo, Chew, Fatale, Hoax Hunters, Manhattan Projects, Revival, Saga, The Sixth Gun, The Walking Dead

For you its stress, for me its fun hunting down back issues. No better feeling than to get my hands on an issue i was always looking for. Visiting comic shops in other countrys or citiys is better than sight seeing, and talking comics with real people is always more interesting then talking on the internet (while i do that, too...)

The price point is something i agree with you. But i can store my book and have it all before me in my room, like a giant treasure hall, try that with an ipad. 10000 comics on an memory card is like having 1000 facebook friends...hollow