Thread: Youngblood, #75

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Youngblood, #75

It's been twenty years in the making, but YOUNGBLOOD reaches its 75th issue with an oversized story! And who can blame them?! In this issue Jeff Terrell returns to the team, Cougar realizes that as impossible as it seems, he might actually be in love. We get one more clue as to the fate of Badrock, and Die Hard and Vogue discover there is more "there" there than they every suspected. All this and a battle worthy of the world's greatest superhero team!

Full article here.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys thought of this issue.

I'm a CBR forums alum and this was my first professional scripting job, working on Jon Malin's beautiful artwork from McLaughlin's plot.

Be as critical as you can. You know you want to ;)
    Dr Manolis Vamvounis

Buy Youngblood #75, out now!

Well congrats and nice work. I thought it was good for what it was and I don't think you could have done it any better. I mean, I go into reading an issue of Youngblood expecting it to be somewhat cheesy, especially with the random strange villains they encounter every issue....and it was delivered very well! I love how when Lady Photon--an immensely powerful being just glowing with power--floats down on some drunk dudes beating up a girl in the alley and all they care about is trying to see her boobs instead of... well running for their damn lives.

The only thing missing from this book is the Fighting American. He would be an amazing addition for it.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

I stopped pulling YB but recieved 75 as it was the last one id preordered a few months back.
    It was...pretty decent. Probably the best of the run so far. The one thing i liked the idea of for the new take was the idea of the book becoming almost a parody of itself. Taking the whole 90s Exxxxtreme thing and associated criticisms and then involving that as part of the books narrative, what with the public perception and magazine article thread points. That stuff seemed more prevailent in this issue and so i rather enjoyed those aspects. Particularly that image of the team charging into action and yelling out their archtypical battles cries; "Shouting commands!" "Sarcastic retort!" etc :D

I still had some issues with it though. With the script mainly. There were just certain instances in which conversations or characters replies didnt seem to flow properly or gel with what the art was trying to convey. There were a few times that it seemed like an extra panel could have been utilised to aid the sequential flow.

It was an okay issue though.
    I hope the chronological killer thing wont just be dropped once Liefeld takes over.

@Dark-Flux the issue was scripted Marvel-style, after the art was handed in, so the blame for dialogue flow falls squarely on me. Jon did such good work with the art, especially this issue. I appreciate your input :) (and thanks for the kind words!)
    Dr Manolis Vamvounis

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    The only thing missing from this book is the Fighting American. He would be an amazing addition for it.
    I think Fighting American is no longer at Image Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by carloshll726 View Post
    I think Fighting American is no longer at Image Comics.
    That's a shame. I actually enjoyed that run back in the day.

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Manolis Dooplove View Post
    @Dark-Flux the issue was scripted Marvel-style, after the art was handed in, so the blame for dialogue flow falls squarely on me. Jon did such good work with the art, especially this issue. I appreciate your input :) (and thanks for the kind words!)
    I have an idea for a New Men relaunch, how would I get in touch with Rob for it? At the moment it's just a 5 issue mini, but it has the potential to become an ongoing.

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I have an idea for a New Men relaunch, how would I get in touch with Rob for it? At the moment it's just a 5 issue mini, but it has the potential to become an ongoing.
    Well, people usually go to www.robliefeldcreations.com and click "Contact". There, you will find a bit of information.

I tried #73 on a whim and it was interesting enough to try #74 which was very good and piqued my curiousity. This issue had fewer crossed T's and dotted I's but it was well enough to get me back for next issue.

I hated the zombie cover, especially for a special anniversary issue and since it had nothing to do with the story IMO. It was almost a turn off. The segues to press articles was a good idea for an anniversary issue but the segues were mostly too jarring and could have been scripted to more clever. I did not believe how easily Cougar -in the buff- could get so easily in Gail's good graces after she rebuffed him just pages before. Obviously, Badrock saving the busload of kids must have been long before the reporter started her YB feature, right? Badrock is a good character [from my old days collecting] but some sort of footnoting of his current predicament might have helped new readers like myself to appreciate that ending.

What I liked:
    -the name and look of Chicago Noir
    -also the f/x of their narration box breaking when they got blasted
    -the Dark Phoenix-ish subplot developing with Lady Photon
    -Die Hard/Vogue relationship could be fun
    -"THIS BETTER BE A STRIP-O-GRAM"
    -good Shaft meets Shaft scene, especially the look on the old guy when he is not the one to answer the crisis alarm
    -including the title page photo as part of the story was a nice detail
    -welcome new details about the body in #74 makes the 'Backwards Time Killer' story is more intriguing

overall it balanced into a solid effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    . I did not believe how easily Cougar -in the buff- could get so easily in Gail's good graces after she rebuffed him just pages before. Obviously, Badrock saving the busload of kids must have been long before the reporter started her YB feature, right? Badrock is a good character [from my old days collecting] but some sort of footnoting of his current predicament might have helped new readers like myself to appreciate that ending.

overall it balanced into a solid effort.
    Thank you!

In hindsight, we could have made the Cougar scene clearer. The first scene is them faking a breakup for the public eye. In the second scene they meet in secret in Gail's house and Cougar is teasing her about the cheesy lines she used, "stray" and "get the hell out"...

If you're a Badrock fan, next issue should make you very happy indeed!
    Dr Manolis Vamvounis

Vogue and Diehard felt a little out of character in their relationship. Considering Vogue is in her mid to late forties and Diehard must be 80+, their interaction as a couple felt too juvenile. Other than that, I though it was very entertaining.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

Is Task joining the team anytime soon? The comic needs a swordsman and i will be happy.
    I like swords.

I'm new to Youngblood, is there is certain continuity timeline to read everything from Youngblood, Strikefile, Team Youngblood, the 1 shots, specials, etc?