Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Yeah, I get that Spider-Man's mask doesn't allow for as much emotion. But then, they should probably be a bit more focused on Spidey's attitude and the way he moves than his facial expressions.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I dunno, there's already plenty of pretty stupid stuff in the Spidey movies, I think emoting white eyes could work so long as they dont go too overboard with it. Plus people accepted the "Tony Stark inside the helmet view" even though it's a completely silly thing when you think about how its portrayed. But yeah, I agree, there are plenty of ways to convey emotion without
    as much as I liked Dredd, part of why it failed was that people did not have a face to associate with the character
    Support your local roller derby league

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, I get that Spider-Man's mask doesn't allow for as much emotion. But then, they should probably be a bit more focused on Spidey's attitude and the way he moves than his facial expressions.
    No reason why it has to be an ether/or issue. They can put equal emphasis on getting both right.

Sadly, you're arguing against acting 101. Which is that your face and eyes convey everything. That's why there is a strong emphasis in the "Iron Man" films to have the interior closeups which already have a basis in the comics. And why the mask came open more often in the solo films than in the team film. That's why Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are played by stuntmen who don't have to show emotion with their face and instead rely on body language.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    as much as I liked Dredd, part of why it failed was that people did not have a face to associate with the character
    I don't think that's true, it's just that most people didn't care to see the movie.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    That's why Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are played by stuntmen who don't have to show emotion with their face and instead rely on body language.
    And V was that nobody Hugo Weaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I kind of disagree there. The reason Dredd failed was because nobody went to see it in the first place, probably because the face they associated it with was Stallone. Dredd got respectable reviews.

Sadly, you're arguing against acting 101. Which is that your face and eyes convey everything. That's why there is a strong emphasis in the "Iron Man" films to have the interior closeups which already have a basis in the comics. And why the mask came open more often in the solo films than in the team film. That's why Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers are played by stuntmen who don't have to show emotion with their face and instead rely on body language.
    To try and deliver a respectable counterpoint. Peter Weller did a fantastic job in Robocop, and you couldn't see most of his face the entire movie (and when they did show his face it was for plot reasons, not to fill actor facetime quotas)
    Last edited by SephirothDZX; 12-18-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Elder Member

Sadly, you're arguing against acting 101.
    Was this supposed to be in response to my post (which comes immediately before it)? Because I wasn't making any such argument.

Gone

At this juncture IŽd like to take my hat off to Weaving for his role in "V".

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    At this juncture IŽd like to take my hat off to Weaving for his role in "V".
    Definitely.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

I'm guessing that Dredd is just not popular enough or well known outside of fanboy circles to generate a decent enough profit.

The fact that it is probably rated -r (i'm guessing) didn't help at all either.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself but i have seen good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I'm guessing that Dredd is just not popular enough or well known outside of fanboy circles to generate a decent enough profit.

The fact that it is probably rated -r (i'm guessing) didn't help at all either.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself but i have seen good reviews.
    it was a couple things...Urban isn't a big enough name over here yet, and it wasn't marketed all that great

it's a solid solid movie, one of the better action movies Ive seen this year
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I kind of disagree there. The reason Dredd failed was because nobody went to see it in the first place, probably because the face they associated it with was Stallone. Dredd got respectable reviews.
    True. But then that's why Stallone went without the helmet in that film.

To try and deliver a respectable counterpoint. Peter Weller did a fantastic job in Robocop, and you couldn't see most of his face the entire movie (and when they did show his face it was for plot reasons, not to fill actor facetime quotas)
    But you saw his mouth, which granted facial expressions. And then the helmet came off, which served two purposes. It allowed for emotion and it was symbolic of the man coming out of the machine. James Marsden complained of how the visor and the glasses limited the use of his eyes in his acting. That's part of the reason why the visor was changed in the second film.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    Was this supposed to be in response to my post (which comes immediately before it)? Because I wasn't making any such argument.
    My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor
    And V was that nobody Hugo Weaving.
    A rare instance where the actor worked with it and the director chose to adhere to the core concept.

So grown up adults are having trouble interpreting the handcuffs scene? We know Superman can easily break out of them, it has to be a gesture.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    So grown up adults are having trouble interpreting the handcuffs scene? We know Superman can easily break out of them, it has to be a gesture.
    Well, they might be past their teenage years, but how grown up or adult they are is anyone's guess....