Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

You are seriously over thinking this, and in the wrong direction. I'm done. Like the Avengers film, you just don't get it. And probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    By that logic, the flag is a useless, meaningless symbol given that it has no practical, functional value.
    Only handcuffs draw their symbolic value from their practical function. You can't put them one someone they can't don't anything to an expect them to mean the same thing.

Except he wasn't taken into custody inside the whatever police/military facility they're shown walking down the hall in. The trailer shoes him crashing backwards through the front of the bank into the vault door (presumably after being hit or blasted by something/someone) and that as he starts to exit the building he's intercepted by troops standing outside, with guns drawn and pointed at him. Which means that his capture took place in the open at the scene of a battle which was certainly being covered by the media. So, yeah, the public saw it.
    They could maybe have "captured" him in that bank scene, he may have also surrendered to them later at that remote looking road or airstrip.

I'm betting he probably does get it. But having decided that the trailer was awful and the movie is going to suck, he's now entrenched in his position and backed himself into a corner where he has to defend it no matter how badly it's dismantled. There's a certain amount of entertainment value in seeing how much twisting, turning, and hoop jumping he's willing to commit to in order to defend the indefensible.
    I haven't don't any twisting, turning, or hoop jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    You are seriously over thinking this, and in the wrong direction. I'm done. Like the Avengers film, you just don't get it. And probably never will.
    Yeah, you're right, I don't get the complexity of this, or The Avengers. I've thought myself out of getting something.

At least we don't have to worry, as we did in the recent Spiderman movies, about superman taking his mask off every two seconds.

The problem with a full mask is that it limits expression, which actors and directors rely on for live action performances. Spidey's mask doesn't allow for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    The problem with a full mask is that it limits expression, which actors and directors rely on for live action performances. Spidey's mask doesn't allow for it.
    I think part of the problem is this line of thinking. Because of this line of thought nobody is even willing to try keeping a masked hero masked the entire movie and see how it works out.

I still think they should go for the "make Spideys eyes emote like in the cartoons/comics" method of making Spidey emote.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I still think they should go for the "make Spideys eyes emote like in the cartoons/comics" method of making Spidey emote.
    That works well in the comics, but if Spidey's eyes move and emote like they do in the comics in a film... it is going to look beyond stupid. And if they talk to any actor who is into mime and body language, there is plenty of emoting that can be done with the body, and the heads position, and with the voice without ever seeing the actors face. It is more the actors vanity that keeps them from leaving the mask alone and on for the whole film.

Elder Member

Sure there's a lot of acting that can be done without facial expressions. But there's also a lot of acting that can't be done without facial expressions. And I think most people in the paying audience relate more readily to the latter. Plus, I think audiences have a greater sense of feeling like they got their money's worth when they can see the stars onscreen, as opposed to seeing a guy with a bag over his head and wondering it it's the star of the movie or a stand-in. That's a big part of the reason why more and more actors have been doing their own stunts over the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    That works well in the comics, but if Spidey's eyes move and emote like they do in the comics in a film... it is going to look beyond stupid. And if they talk to any actor who is into mime and body language, there is plenty of emoting that can be done with the body, and the heads position, and with the voice without ever seeing the actors face. It is more the actors vanity that keeps them from leaving the mask alone and on for the whole film.
    I dunno, there's already plenty of pretty stupid stuff in the Spidey movies, I think emoting white eyes could work so long as they dont go too overboard with it. Plus people accepted the "Tony Stark inside the helmet view" even though it's a completely silly thing when you think about how its portrayed. But yeah, I agree, there are plenty of ways to convey emotion without

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

I think audiences have a greater sense of feeling like they got their money's worth when they can see the stars onscreen...
    Spider-Man is the star, people go to see him in action.
    Nobody lists the number 1 reason to go as the actor portraying the character.

"Hey, guys, what are you doing tonight? Want to see the new Andrew Garfield movie?" was never uttered when discussing Spider-Man.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Michael Keaton's Batman did pretty well for himself keeping the mask on.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    Spider-Man is the star, people go to see him in action.
    Nobody lists the number 1 reason to go as the actor portraying the character.

"Hey, guys, what are you doing tonight? Want to see the new Andrew Garfield movie?" was never uttered when discussing Spider-Man.
    None of which is relevant to what I said because I didn't say any of those things. But the fact remains that audiences like to feel a connection to the characters they see on screen. That connection is easier to make when you can see the character's faces and identify with them as people.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, you could still see his eyes and mouth.

Elder Member

The mask didn't cover his whole face, thus making him easily identifiable (at least to the audience) as Michael Keaton.

Batman doesn't really wear a full face mask though. He can still emote with it on.

Also, just because my inner internet jerk had to post it.