Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    "Should I have let them die?"
    "Maybe"

I hate to be comic nerd about this, but the day Pa Kent even suggests Clark allow children to die is the day somebody fucked up a Superman story.

Interest deflated
    I agree. I was fine...not anywhere near wow'd or such, but fine (even with the awful costume design)...until that Pa Kent line just made my eyebrows go up and I muttered outloud "No f* way would Pa think that."
    Still interested in seeing any new trailer, but this last five minutes has seen my anticipation take a nose dive that possibly not even Superman can stop.

Damn.
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.

Quote Originally Posted by Zod2304 View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for people who have that view, I was let down by Superman Returns, but I'm going to remain optimistic
    Just wondering why it's OK to be disappointed with Superman Returns but it's not OK to be at least concerned with what's being suggested in this trailer. Wasn't disappointment with Superman Returns to do with a feeling that Superman wasn't properly characterized?

Not really asking Zod specifically, but all those who want to hate on the people who have alarm bells going off at what they're seeing here.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Just wondering why it's OK to be disappointed with Superman Returns but it's not OK to be at least concerned with what's being suggested in this trailer. Wasn't disappointment with Superman Returns to do with a feeling that Superman wasn't properly characterized?

Not really asking Zod specifically, but all those who want to hate on the people who have alarm bells going off at what they're seeing here.
    Oh there's nothing wrong with being concerned. It's people who blatantly won't accept anything that isn't Donner's style of Superman I'm on about.

Trying to get a 30 year old film on the go again was a bad idea (maybe with hindsight), I think people should be pleased for a fresh take on the character, something that doesn't have to be slavishly built around an older incarnation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    "No f* way would Pa think that."
    Sure he would, especially if he was certain that his alien son would be dissected by the Establishment if he was discovered.

Besides, he said "maybe"... not like it was an enthusiastic "YES"!

First of all, hate is a strong word. Disagreeing isn't tantamount to hate. Second, it's okay to be disappointed with Superman Returns because it's over. We've seen it and can adequately assess whether it worked or didn't work, especially in terms of characterization. Judging how Clark/Superman will ultimately be characterized based on 2+ minutes of edited footage doesn't make sense to me. Finally, most of the concerns I've read so far in some way revolve around wanting this Superman to be characterized more by a sunny, optimistic, lighthearted sensibility than a gloomy, pessimistic, introspective sensibility. What I don't understand is how one can say Cavill's Superman will not ultimately be characterized by both personality styles. The trailer is clearly broken up into two parts: the introspective part before Clark becomes Superman and the part where he walks into the sun and fights out in the open for a humanity that still isn't quite sure about him. How that amounts to getting Superman wrong mystifies me.

That Kent line was quite atrocious. The worst thing I expected and there it was. Everything else was fine though.

But that "let them die" line was really, really atrocious and you can see what possibly what the movie would incorporate.

BANNED

SR's alarm bells were much, MUCH, louder than MoS'.

I mean other than Pa Kent acting like a real person and the lack of panties, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    First of all, hate is a strong word. Disagreeing isn't tantamount to hate.
    I always appreciate your thoughtful approach to any debate and I do look forward to your posts. You always make me think.

There are plenty of real haters on all sides though (I try not to be one of them, but I'm often not as successful at attaining your standard).

I don't see quite the clarity of the two parts that you do, though. Even the scenes that appear to be more inspirational and optimistic appear to me to have a definite pall of gloom. Maybe I'll be shown to be wrong. Hope so.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    That Kent line was quite atrocious. The worst thing I expected and there it was. Everything else was fine though.

But that "let them die" line was really, really atrocious and you can see what possibly what the movie would incorporate.
    You have "Let them die" in quotation marks but he didn't say that?

Context is everything, the way he says it, his hesitancy and the way he looks away is very telling. I'd wait to see it in the context of the film before making a final judgement

I don't see quite the clarity of the two parts that you do, though. Even the scenes that appear to be more inspirational and optimistic appear to me to have a definite pall of gloom. Maybe I'll be shown to be wrong. Hope so.
    I think the problem with the second, more inspirational half of the trailer, is that the lines and music chosen to accompany it were not highlighting the right things. Superman first takes flight to the song "Storm" from Elizabeth: The Golden Age, which was played during the climactic battle between the English and the Spanish Armada. It doesn't fit. There are things I'm sure Lois says to Superman, Superman says to the public, and other lines that are more inspiring, hopeful, and fun.

Russell Crowe has said that the reason he chose to play Jor-El in the film was because "It afforded me a wonderful opportunity to put a specific thing in the minds of 14 year-old boys. And that is that the bravest thing you can do, the most important thing you can ever do, is love." If that's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then it doesn't seem like Man of Steel will be all doom and gloom.

Thank you for the kind words, by the way. It's great to be able to disagree without being disagreeable. Talking to you is helping me really think through why I feel and think the way I do about this movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Sure he would, especially if he was certain that his alien son would be dissected by the Establishment if he was discovered.

Besides, he said "maybe"... not like it was an enthusiastic "YES"!
    You can hear the doubt and resignation in his voice as if he doesn't believe he's saying it and doesn't really believe it himself...His son just needs an answer that might save his life.

Beautiful trailer. Its nice to be reminded that Superman wasn't always a super hero. He was an idea. Superheroes came later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zod2304 View Post
    You have "Let them die" in quotation marks but he didn't say that?

Context is everything, the way he says it, his hesitancy and the way he looks away is very telling. I'd wait to see it in the context of the film before making a final judgement
    Yeah, and the context he was saying was to let them die.

Cute attempt.

No, he wasn't. Jonathan was saying he didn't know what to do. That's usually what "maybe" implies.

Cute attempt.
    Oh dear.

If you're minds making you hear things like that then you've probably already made your mind up about this regardless

Cute attempt.
    Do you have any kids?