Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 795
  1. #436
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The True North, strong and free!
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    He probably just doesn't want his son to be sent off to government research facility and dissected like an animal, which is actually what happened to a lot of the superpowered children in Secret Identity (Auschwitz-style experiments on infants). Project Superman (Flashpoint Universe) has the U.S. government confiscating the infant Kal-El, experimenting upon him, before leaving him to rot, malnourished in the basement of the lab. The New 52 has the government strapping Superman to an electric chair to see if his skin burns off.

    That�s part of why the negative reactions to Pa Kent seems so heavily misplaced. What kind of father would actually want any of that for his son?

    Kudos to Pa Kent for keeping his son safe until maturity, because as soon as he presented himself to the military, he ended up in handcuffs. This isn�t just about playing hero; this is about a confused little boy potentially painting a target onto his head. He cares about the welfare of his son more than he cares about anything else in the world, including that of someone elses's child, which definitely doesn't strike me as abnormal.
    Excellent post, I couldn't agree more. My wife and I both get choked up at that line, I hope something that resonates so much with parents isn't just a remix for the sake of controversy. We're hardwired to protect kids at all costs, it's in our nature. The mere thought of someone harming my kids gets my heart racing and my adrenaline flowing like Moms who lift cars off their kids. It's hard for non-parents to understand, but Pa Kent is no douche bag. Raising children should fundamentally change our perspective but they'll understand one day when they have some of their own.

    I don't want to watch 2 dimensional characterizations based on ideological nonsense, fathers don't raise their sons to serve everyone else's interests above their own except if their raising comic book superheroes and that sort of thing totally kills suspension of disbelief.

    Abedegno Danner would've been proud.

  2. #437
    Senior Member HXHAlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Nearly 5 million views on youtube in just over a day!

  3. #438
    Senior Member Tra-EL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    That's cool bud. Hope you get everything you are looking for in this film. We may not always agree on the same things as fans but we are all that just that fans and from what you told me you are a fan with a lot of passion for Superman. I always consider that a true fan and one I could always respect.

    I don't always come across as a nice guy or one who listens to those I disagree with but it is actually the opposite. I may not always agree and sometimes I get to pushy but that is because of the passion I have for the character. I have since as long as I could remember.
    Hell yeah dude. I enjoy it all. We all have passion for Superman and I consider everybody here passionate and true Superman fans. I love your input here. In fact, why would we be here and share debates with others if we all share the same direction and views of our favorite character that drives us to come here in the first place? If we all agreed on the same thoughts and value's as fans, it wouldn't be as fun. We've been quoting each other a LOT over the past couple days and never ONCE did I get the fashion of you coming across as not being a nice guy.

    I've seen you in other threads and you stay very strong in your beliefs and never waiver or fall for anything outside of your own personal beliefs in the character we all love. I'm always up for a good debate and we've had some good ones over the last few days. It's what makes it an exciting time. Everybody is heard but in the end, we'll always be TEAM SUPERMAN and I love and respect that about our fanbase.

  4. #439
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The True North, strong and free!
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    How about just the history of Superman. It has nothing to do with Superman The Movie. You as a fan of Superman should know that the Glasses are a vital part of the disguise of Clark Kent or at least I hope you do.
    Sure they are, I just don't want to see the same Silver Age Clark dynamic that Reeve defined and that Routh failed to emulate. I don't want to see the triangle again or the insecure whiner that is Superman Nu.

    I want the Fleischer/Adventures of Superman(Reeves) Kent who scoops Lois unapologetically and makes wise cracks about how he did it with a nod and a wink to the audience because we're in on the secret.
    Last edited by The Beast; 12-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.

  5. #440
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The True North, strong and free!
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    There's footage of Clark riding his bike to The Daily Planet offices as well as footage of him inside the building, riding an elevator, and putting on a pair of glasses. Here is a gif from the poor quality Comic-Con trailer for a visual aid:



    I like the idea of Clark not becoming a journalist at the DP with Lois until the end because not only do I suspect Lois will know who Clark is from the beginning, but I also like the idea of showing the audience what drives his decision to be a reporter and wear glasses.
    Wicked find Miss Lane, you and I are on the exact same page.

    I hope it plays out that way too!
    Last edited by The Beast; 12-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.

  6. #441
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The True North, strong and free!
    Posts
    2,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Copying Donner / Reeves was Singer's downfall, but I'd still be very surprised if that was the case. Clark's secret identity is a pretty big part of the character, and it's something they are going to want to tackle when reintroducing the character to modern audiences.

    The big question is whether or not Cavill can pull off metropolis Kent.
    The even bigger question is what version of Metropolis Kent will Cavill be, Golden(Fleischer/Reeves) Age or Silver(Reeve) Age?

  7. #442
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Sure they are, I just don't want to see the same Silver Age Clark dynamic that Reeve defined and that Routh failed to emulate. I don't want to see the triangle again or the insecure whiner that is Superman Nu.

    I want the Fleischer/Adventures of Superman(Reeves) Kent who scoops Lois unapologetically and makes wise cracks about how he did it with a nod and a wink to the audience because we're in on the secret.

    That's fine. We don't need a bumbling Clark in the movie but we do need a Clark Kent with Glasses. Whether it be in the beginning or the end of the movie.

  8. #443
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    The even bigger question is what version of Metropolis Kent will Cavill be, Golden(Fleischer/Reeves) Age or Silver(Reeve) Age?
    I'm think more along the lines of Birthright which the movie is heavily influenced by.

  9. #444
    Elder Member zryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    I didn't find much fun or enjoyment in the trailer. I sort of view it somewhat with detachment. Sort of like a piece of art, wanting to be impressed but failing to be so. As a trailer, I thought it was pretty average to be honest. Lots of intense scenes, with the Nolan influence heavily coming through. But this isn't Superman to me. It feels like WB are going down the route of the Batman movies and to me that's the wrong path. Some people are saying if Synder flops with this, it could be the end of his career but I don't know about that. I'm not so sure he's the right person for the job but Nolan looms ever larger. And yes, I watched all three Nolan Batman movies but god the last two were depressing - many of my friends agreed with my remarks that they seemed to have tacked on the happy ending which seems almost like an afterthought just so audiences would have some happy reprieve from the intensity of the movie.

  10. #445
    Senior Member Whip Whirlwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I'm think more along the lines of Birthright which the movie is heavily influenced by.
    This, and I'm totally okay with that. I loved how they established him as the kind of guy who was quiet a good 90% of the time, but also a guy who people would listen to when he did raise his voice because it was always for something worth saying.

  11. #446
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    And yes, I watched all three Nolan Batman movies but god the last two were depressing - many of my friends agreed with my remarks that they seemed to have tacked on the happy ending which seems almost like an afterthought just so audiences would have some happy reprieve from the intensity of the movie.
    For me, the last two Batman films were dark but not depressing.

  12. #447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    Looks boring. But that's already expected.
    Once again, dumb jackass.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

  13. #448
    Senior Member adkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    There's footage of Clark riding his bike to The Daily Planet offices as well as footage of him inside the building, riding an elevator, and putting on a pair of glasses. Here is a gif from the poor quality Comic-Con trailer for a visual aid:

    I wonder what the reaction would be if that was one of the closing scenes of the movie...

  14. #449
    Senior Member Tiberious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    There are a few things that keep me from being excited about this movie:

    1) I despise the color filters over everything. I've said before that this film looks to me like it was shot with instagram. For example, the scene of him floating in the water. I'm so sick of everything being blue and orange. Just a personal choice, but bearded Clark walking in the town looking at the bus. Ugh. Couldn't any of this movie look like real life?

    2) Clark not knowing himself. Birthright is my favorite origin story. I love Clark traveling the world helping people until they become scared and then he moves on. I love him wrestling with the lion. I love him emailing his mother about all of the wonderful things he's experienced. It makes me happy to see him enjoying his gifts and all he has to offer. Hiding? Running from who he is? That's not the Clark I want to see. Of course Nolan and crew feel that makes him "relateable" but he's not relateable. I cannot relate to a man that can fly through the sun, shoot lasers out of his eyes, or lift a billion times the weight of the earth. I just can't. I also don't want to. I want to be inspired by him. I want to be a better man because of him. I don't want to look at the screen and go "hey people have been scared of what I can do before to! I understand how he feels!" I don't want to see the Clark that saves a school bus of kids then goes and plays deadliest catch until some larger event makes him think "well huh."

    3) The suit. I don't want circus strong man. I also don't want "here we dug Superman Returns suit out from under this pile of ash" and didn't wash it either. Darker than SR? Really? If there's anything I like about the new 52 Superman suit is it looks alien. I get that you want him to look from another world, but I personally think Spider-texture, super dark colors and Thor's cape are NOT the way to go.

    4) "Maybe." I'm sure this line is going to be followed with "Maybe. Maybe God's plan was for those kids to die. Maybe you saving them was against God Clark. Either way, I don't want the world to come take you away from us." As a father I can appreciate wanting to keep your kids safe. However, I've told my daughter on countless situations to stand up for those who can't and fight the bullies that try to hurt others. I've never told her to not help because she herself might get hurt. That's the thinking that lets others die while you sneak safely away. I would have preferred "What was I supposed to do Pa, let them die? No son. But you have to be careful. Me and your Ma don't want to lose you either."

    5) Non trailer related: Everytime they interview someone and that actor says "Oh they told me not to worry about living up to a standard because this is an entirely new take. I don't have to dye my hair or dress a certain way because this is an entirely new take" I want to see this movie less and less. I can appreciate moderninzing it for a new generation. I can appreciate putting your spin on the 70+ year story. I don't want to see Lois Lane with red hair. I don't want to see Clark in jeans and a messenger bag.

    Now having said all of that, I understand why some of you are in heaven and I'm glad. If that makes you go out and buy old graphic novels or the old donner Blue-Rays then great. Share in my enjoyment. I'm not too crazy to admit that my Superman was the one from Shuster through pre52. I know my love is dated and sealed and that's okay. Even if I have no desire to come play in your sandbox doesn't mean that you can't come play in mine on occasional. I'm really glad that you are getting a film that you're going to love. I will put in my Superman 2 Donner Cut and wear my superman pj's on launch night and be there with you in spirit, just not in person. :)
    Last edited by Tiberious; 12-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  15. #450
    Senior Member Tra-EL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    You're not even going to see this movie, Tiberious because your Superman lives and dies with the Donner-cut? Interesting. Can't wait to see the packed theater and see the cape soar on the big screen once more. Even to the many Reeve-addicts out there that won't like anything but the 1978 attachment, you would atleast think ANY Super-fan owes it to themselves to see Man Of Steel. Hell, we're lucky to be getting it so I'll have to be extra excited to see if for you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •