Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    Absolutely, positively, THEE best article I've read on the trailer today. Great work from the people of Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/film/10-thi...l-trailer.html
    I've never seen "best article" and "Newsarama" together before.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    And I'm hoping they don't cameo "universe build". You know who needs the coverage more than Wonder Woman OR Aquaman? Superman!
    Yeah, plus it's not like end-credit scenes are really all that world building, anyways. Let Superman shine in his own movie, then maybe he can be the one to put the band together in JL.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    What if they're 'trolling' and the 'maybe...' isn't in response to the question in the trailer but to another question - something like 'am I always going to have to hide who I am/what I can do?'
    It's entirely possible. At this point, it might be that there is more following his "maybe" remark, or, with the way the scene is cut up, he may have said "maybe" to something else, entirely. As stk says, "maybe" was likely put in the trailer to get a reaction.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor
    IDW: Transformers: Robots in Disguise

I was truly impressed with this new trailer for Man of Steel; it was absolutely beautiful, grandiose, epic and stirring.

This movie seems to truly convey all the glory and magic of the Superman saga in a way that has never been done before. I don't agree with all the naysayers who've been making this out to be "Nolan's Batman trilogy under a different name". I think the haters are being a little too immature and difficult. The new Man of Steel trailer is unique and really exciting, it gave a nice and rousing look at what to expect without giving away the story plot and action sequences like most trailers today do and Hans Zimmer's score is truly heavenly. I also think that Henry Cavill is a good fit for the red boots because he looks like a lot like Christopher Reeves.

However, I think the whole Kal-El "What was I supposed to do? Let them die?" Mr. Kent "Maybe" was the depth of poor taste on the script writers part. Seriously, no honorable and morally descent parent would say something like that and we all know the Kent family is the American heartland of morals and values. Nonetheless, I think the trailer did a marvelous job of bringing out the "Christ Savior" or "Messiah" undertones and symbolism of the Superman saga. I was watching the trailer with my dad and a friend and we all were like "you can definitely feel the spiritual tones in this trailer." I'm also a bit surprised at how awesome this movie is turning out to be because Sucker Punch lowered my love for Zack Snyder quite a bit but this is just awesome. I think the Man of Steel trailer is even better than the Star Trek Into Darkness teaser.

Hi Karl, what is Zod wearing - either its part of his military outfit or some weapon. I remember in some toy commercials that debuted online they showed Zod with his alien spaceships and his army. So it could be connected to that.

Plus one of the prototypes for MOS figures that appeared online shows Superman with what looks like armor or battlegear covering his entire right arm. So maybe Zod is more powerful so Superman has to rely on body armor to combat Zod and his army.

Did anyone notice in the trailer as he prepares to take flight from the frozen tundra that Superman projects the same telekinetic field that Superboy is using in the New52 Teen Titans comics?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTailor View Post
    Did anyone notice in the trailer as he prepares to take flight from the frozen tundra that Superman projects the same telekinetic field that Superboy is using in the New52 Teen Titans comics?
    There's no evidence but I've seen people assert that they might use telekinesis or some sort of gravity manipulation to explain his powers.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    There's no evidence but I've seen people assert that they might use telekinesis or some sort of gravity manipulation to explain his powers.
    Yea, Let's hope not.

I write it off as he just has so much power behind what looks like his first takeoff that the force of it shook the ground. Much like how you rev up a car before doing a drag race. All cylinders are firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Yea, Let's hope not.
    I don't really care either way, so eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    It's entirely possible. At this point, it might be that there is more following his "maybe" remark, or, with the way the scene is cut up, he may have said "maybe" to something else, entirely. As stk says, "maybe" was likely put in the trailer to get a reaction.
    It's contradictory to his other line, which is heard a few seconds later in this trailer and was prominent in the Kent-teaser and the SDCC trailer - about the man ('good character or bad') he could become.

It's certainly a 'wait, wha-?' moment for almost anyone seeing and hearing this trailer, and a definite hook to get people talking (more).

The preceding lines about Clark needing to be careful doesn't (necessarily) equate to Jonathan condoning/suggesting Clark have an apathetic approach.

As for those complaining/suggesting there's no 'action' in the trailers...personally, I saw plenty being hinted it. Combat, explosions, spaceships...

There's no need to show the concussive wave resulting from the aerial collision of Kal and Zod, for example, as showing them flying at each other and cutting away before impact...has impact (imho).

Same here.

Speaking of supermans powers Im curious to see how his superspeed plays out.I know this is controverisal but Id like Supes to be slower than a bullet. Im talking Combat speed/Speed on land not speed during flight.I want Supes to be clearly superhumanly fast but no so fast that we need slow mo to see whats going on. Im trying my best to think of a movie that has the closest display to this but all I got is Twilight.

BANNED

Looks very, very good. Feels very Birthright to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Looks very, very good. Feels very Birthright to me.
    Hey, Welcome back Mr. Holmes. Glad to see you were paroled from the Banned list.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I don't really care either way, so eh.
    Yea, I noticed that about you.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff2005 View Post
    however the problem with all of that is, some prefer the Pa Kent who wants to teach clark humanity and how to be a human. Yes, he wants to protect his son and hide him from others but not at the cost of being less human or care for human life. a real Pa Kent would have got mad but at the same time admit he did the right thing instead of saying maybe u should have let them die.
    Other than viewing Jonathan's "maybe" as an understandable expression of a father worried about what a world fearful of the unknown would do to his young son, I also think what Smallville did with Jonathan, and what Man of Steel looks to be doing, is a good way to approach the character. On Smallville, for example, Clark sometimes struggled with disappointment with himself when he didn't automatically know the right approach to difficult dilemmas. In "Lazarus," Jonathan tells his son, "We're all confronted with trials, son, but the true measure of a man is how he chooses to react in the face of those trials." To which Clark responds, "You never had that problem." Jonathan has to remind Clark that this isn't true. "Come on, son. I was so far away from perfect." For a young Superman to experience what it means to live in a world where the answers aren't always black and white and to see reflected in his father some of the trepidation others would feel when it comes to protecting those close to them, is, in my opinion, crucial to preparing him for the reality of being the world's most powerful protector.

The key to interpreting this scene, for me, is to acknowledge that Jonathan isn't answering with a definitive "yes" let them die. But rather with a reluctant and open-ended "maybe." Such uncertainty could mean Jonathan ultimately believes Clark should have let the children die or it could mean that he ultimately understands that it was the right thing to do despite concerns. A useful form of instruction is to engage in metacognition; to explore or think about one's own thinking. To become skilled at that it's useful to see it modeled in others. It is better for Superman to see that the morality of his father isn't derived from an almost god-like certitude, but rather from careful consideration that balances the selfish and selfless impulses organic to all human beings. It lets us know, and Clark know, that in the future it's okay to feel conflicted and to consider alternatives.

Yet, what matters most is the decision made in the moment. Obviously Superman in this story ultimately risks showing himself to a hostile world so he can save it. Helping the audience, like young Clark, appreciate that this is difficult decision that requires tremendous bravery and selflessness by exploring the gray initially is quite effective, in my opinion.
    Last edited by misslane38; 12-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
    Same here.

Speaking of supermans powers Im curious to see how his superspeed plays out.I know this is controverisal but Id like Supes to be slower than a bullet. Im talking Combat speed/Speed on land not speed during flight.I want Supes to be clearly superhumanly fast but no so fast that we need slow mo to see whats going on. Im trying my best to think of a movie that has the closest display to this but all I got is Twilight.
    ...heh.

Zack Snyder is directing this but you say you don't want slow-mo? Boy are you going to be disappointed.