Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    Gut feeling. That's all that I require from myself to confirm my own opinion to myself and to no one else.
    Are your gut feelings reliably accurate?

I did not see anything to suggest that this movie was something the average movie audience had not already seen before to the point that they would find motivation to go out of their way and buy a ticket.
    What would be required of the film for it to motivate the average movie audience to purchase a ticket? What novel elements does it lack?

I see more than enough to suggest this same audience would show more than a spark of interest in buying the Blu-ray, watching on Netflix/iTunes/Amazon Instant Video.
    Your gut is very specific.

So really, it wasn't anything specific in the new trailer. It was every bit of what I didn't see in the new trailer with no specificity.
    What would you need to see to be convinced the film will be successful theatrically?

Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Are your gut feelings reliably accurate?
    The question by the poster asked what/if we felt. I answered. Accuracy has no relevance to he asking of our feelings.

Re: Two middle checklist quote-response tit-for-tats: I say potato.

What would you need to see to be convinced the film will be successful theatrically?
    You'll have to be more specific about your metrics as I have no clear indication on how you qualify successful as well as what merits theatrical success. I can say this: I'm probably going to really enjoy the movie and it will likely succeed in making me smile.

Trailer was incredible. This is exactly what Superman needs to be.

I really, really liked this trailer. I am super pumped for this movie! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    The question by the poster asked what/if we felt. I answered. Accuracy has no relevance to he asking of our feelings.
    Yes, I'm wondering how feelings have anything to do with predicting box office receipts. Most people who make bets on the performance of a good or service have some reasons besides "feelings." You said, for example, that you felt the movie wouldn't do well in its theatrical release because it wasn't offering people anything new, right? So what should a new Superman offer audiences to get them so excited they must see it in the theater?

You'll have to be more specific about your metrics as I have no clear indication on how you qualify successful as well as what merits theatrical success. I can say this: I'm probably going to really enjoy the movie and it will likely succeed in making me smile.
    Why do you need me to specify my metrics when you were the only one claiming the film was not going to be successful? I'm not making predictions about the success of Man of Steel because I don't claim to know what will motivate your average guy or gal to spend $10+ to see a superhero film in June 2013. You, however, based your gut feelings about the film's prospects on what you didn't see in the trailer. That is what you said. I want to know what you would have needed to have seen in the trailer to change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Also just from the sound of it I think there might be more to that line. It struck me as odd too, so I watched again, and they cut really quickly after he says "Maybe"
    It'll probably be a:

'Maybe...no...no...you did the right thing, Clark...but...you have to be careful...I can't protect you...'

With Clark's actions resulting in there being some distance between father and son as Jonathan's fears of losing Clark become a little more real for him.

I was already excited for the movie. This trailer was pretty cool and got my wife to finally want to see it.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Seems way too emo. Watching Superman struggle with the burden of being Superman just makes him seems whiny.
    "Don't Reboot The Bat!" Keep Going!
    MoS is a PoS.
    Twitter
    The Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    Seems way too emo. Watching Superman struggle with the burden of being Superman just makes him seems whiny.
    Ten seasons of popular television says the approach works for a mass audience.

movie looks like it will be great. My only complain is Pa kent's line but other than that it will be a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff2005 View Post
    My only complain is Pa kent's line
    I have to say, it's really disheartening to see people complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I have to say, it's really disheartening to see people complain about that.
    The level of focus on it and that a majority cannot judge it beyond face value (editing, PoV of the character, etc.) is indeed very disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly T View Post
    No, it makes him seem fallible and thus human and thus more relatable to an audience. Superman understanding and being content with his situation is part of what contributes to his reputation as a bore. He needs to have doubts and fears and he needs to make mistakes and he needs to have weaknesses. If he doesn't then he isn't interesting.

I suspect this movie will be pretty successful, and I'll be looking on in dismay.

There is nothing in the trailer, particularly the scenes of Clark out of costume, that would seem out of place in Batman Begins. The tone, emotion, lighting, makeup, mood...It's all very, very close to the Batman films. Even in the hero scenes, we can see strong influences from the Batman franchise in the way action is presented, the lighting and camera angles, etc. This isn't Man Of Steel so much as it is Superman Begins. It's not difficult to imagine, based on what they've shown us, that the story is very similar too. Angst from childhood and young adulthood, wrestling with moral questions of right and wrong, a quest to discover how best to atone for something. These are questions that work well for Batman, but Superman doesn't have (when done well) any uncertainty about morality, he didn't have an emotionally-distraught childhood, and forcing those things on him lessens what this character is and stands for.

It's frustrating on the level of having a clear idea in my head about who Superman is and how he should look and behave. And it's also frustrating in terms of hearing the creative team behind the effort try to convince us at every turn that it's got its own identity and is completely different from The Dark Knight trilogy. It may turn out to be something different, but so far there's been no indication of that at all. Every still, every flash of cinema, points to a transparent attempt to recreate what has worked for a different franchise.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    No, it makes him seem fallible and thus human and thus more relatable to an audience. Superman understanding and being content with his situation is part of what contributes to his reputation as a bore. He needs to have doubts and fears and he needs to make mistakes and he needs to have weaknesses. If he doesn't then he isn't interesting.
    Superman has a reputation as a bore? You know, when I suggested a day or two ago that Superman Returns was only moderately successful financially, I was excoriated. So apparently people feel that even though the film made only half as much as Iron Man, it was still a great success and Superman wasn't perceived as a bore.

Also, in the late 70s, there was also a lot of talk about Superman being perceived as a bore. We all know how that turned out.

When he's done well, Superman isn't boring. He is the very definition of excitement. But he has never been at his best when his attention has been focused inward, and that's never what's made him relateable. He is at his best, and his most relateable, when he relates with people, not indulges in ultimately pointless introspection.

Also when done well, Superman needs to overcome the prospect of potential defeat, but he is never fallible in the sense you mean here. The possibility of personal failure isn't what makes people relate to him. They relate to him because he is the ultimate vision of inspiration.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.