Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by joegeek View Post
    3. Would like a back story on as many characters as possible
    That's fine, but remember you're getting a back story not the back story. The back story (beyond what is given in Watchmen) only exists in Moore and Gibbons' heads - or at least it probably did when they originally created the book - and have probably long since forgotten it.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That's fine, but remember you're getting a back story not the back story. The back story (beyond what is given in Watchmen) only exists in Moore and Gibbons' heads - or at least it probably did when they originally created the book - and have probably long since forgotten it.
    which means its irrelevant. Hes getting a back story that the current license owner says is the back story. Its much like the new 52 vs old dcu. The license owner says this is history now, so it is.

OP you wont be disappointed, some of these are the best thing DC is publishing right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    which means its irrelevant. Hes getting a back story that the current license owner says is the back story. Its much like the new 52 vs old dcu. The license owner says this is history now, so it is.
    As far as I'm concerned, morally the owners of these characters are Moore and Gibbons and the only view of them that's relevant is theirs. DC shouldn't even be publishing these books against Moore's wishes, and no-one with a conscience should be supporting them IMO.

Well then Tony, I guess I have no conscience. I suppose you also dont bother with any legacy character as well, just on principle. Better not see you commenting on Superman. Not sure why you care so much to continue weighing in with 'your' opinion on stories you haven't nor will ever read.

FWIW, I hated that the original Watchmen had an ending. I wanted more from the characters. As such, and I have bought and read every one, I havent been dissapointed, although I think I started reading the Crimson Corsair story out of order and am now a bit lost with the backup story, but I think that is DC's fault for having books come out in an order other than what was planned. Will need to give that a re-read.

I think they have all been good/great. Rorschack looks excellent, story is only so/so for me. Comedian is a dick, but tells a great tale. Really, Ozymandias is the only one that grates on me, and that is because the character is so sanctimonious.

OP, if you like me wanted more from the characters, these do nothing to detract from the original and youll enjoy the ride, I know I am, but again, I have no conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, morally the owners of these characters are Moore and Gibbons and the only view of them that's relevant is theirs. DC shouldn't even be publishing these books against Moore's wishes, and no-one with a conscience should be supporting them IMO.
    And I understand that you feel that way about it, but that's not what was asked. OP wanted to know if they added something and were worth picking up, not if Moore agreed or what everyone's personal opinions of the Watchmen rights situation were. Since you've elected to not read them due to whatever reason you feel justifies such a choice, you really should not be trying to answer the question of if they add anything or are worth it. You have no knowledge of them and can add nothing to the conversation beyond a derail into whether Moore wants them to exist or not. Considering thats largely offtopic and it does nothing to answer the questions asked, one has to wonder why you decided to post in the thread.

The books are well written and are, for the most part, a fun read. Some add characterization and explanations to future actions. Others are just fun stories. If he has the money and wants to check out more Watchmen stuff, he shouldnt be disappointed by most of it.

Also as personal note:

Plenty of people with perfectly fine consciences are supporting it. To suggest otherwise is rude, insulting and unnecessary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    And I understand that you feel that way about it, but that's not what was asked. OP wanted to know if they added something and were worth picking up, not if Moore agreed or what everyone's personal opinions of the Watchmen rights situation were. Since you've elected to not read them due to whatever reason you feel justifies such a choice, you really should not be trying to answer the question of if they add anything or are worth it. You have no knowledge of them and can add nothing to the conversation beyond a derail into whether Moore wants them to exist or not. Considering thats largely offtopic and it does nothing to answer the questions asked, one has to wonder why you decided to post in the thread.
    I know that Watchmen was intended as a self contained story with a beginning, a middle and an end, so it seems to me obvious that no additions are necessary.
    The books are well written and are, for the most part, a fun read. Some add characterization and explanations to future actions.
    All the necessary explanations and characterization were provided in the original series. All this is doing is providing an alternative take on those characters which I can't see as really having any point to it.

Also as personal note:

Plenty of people with perfectly fine consciences are supporting it. To suggest otherwise is rude, insulting and unnecessary.
    I prefer to think that perhaps at least some of those people simply aren't aware of the moral and ethical issues here and wouldn't be supportive of the books if they were made aware of them. And I see that as relevant.

I know that Watchmen was intended as a self contained story with a beginning, a middle and an end, so it seems to me obvious that no additions are necessary. All the necessary explanations and characterization were provided in the original series. All this is doing is providing an alternative take on those characters which I can't see as really having any point to it.
    so basically you have no first hand knowledge of the issues in question due to your stance on the creator issue. That means you are unqualified to answer the OP's question.

I prefer to think that perhaps at least some of those people simply aren't aware of the moral and ethical issues here and wouldn't be supportive of the books if they were made aware of them. And I see that as relevant.
    It is irrelevant to the questions asked and is off-topic. Its time to give it a rest and move on. If you want to start a thread about the creator issue, feel free to do so.... otherwise drop it in threads that are not specifically about it. Its akin to trolling and derailing a topic. He asked a question about the issues you dont read, not why you personally arent giving them a try.

I've read every single issue so far. Some are horrible, like night owl. Most are readable. ALL OF THE ART IS GORGEOUS. I'm just treating it as fanfic drawn by some of my favorite artists. These stories definitely aren't canon for me, but I'm enjoying them for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by joegeek View Post
    So bottom line

1. Money is no object
    2. I love the Watchmen
    3. Would like a back story on as many characters as possible

I may just buy every darn one of them then for sh.. and giggles but doing such a thing has actually tainted a story for me before.
    Since very few people bothered to actually answer your question, I would say yes, if you're interested in the characters. I will agree with the poster who said Minutemen and Silk Spectre are the best. Those are both really good stories with great art.

The rest are kind of a mixed bag.

I would check out Azzarello's books. I only quickly read the first 2 issues of both of his series when I was at work and thought they were pretty good.

As a whole Before Watchmen is something that is not for me but oh well plenty of other stuff out there that is for me.

I prefer to think that perhaps at least some of those people simply aren't aware of the moral and ethical issues here and wouldn't be supportive of the books if they were made aware of them.
    And I prefer to think that some people don't overstate the supposed and largely imaginary moral and ethical issues here.

If you want to be outraged about real moral and ethical issues, you should be boycotting Superman, or new books of any Marvel character Kirby created, not Before Watchmen. The double-standard is outlandish.

BANNED

Despite the fact that some (not all - some) of the industry's best creators are working on these books, I will not read them, nor buy them. Why? Because Alan Moore doesn't want them. He says the story is over and - if it isn't - he doesn't want to tell it.

In fact, this will probably be my last time on the Internet. Why? because Alan Moore doesn't use the Internet. In addition, even if I used the Internet, I certainly couldn't go to Ebay because I read an interview once where Neil Gaiman said Alan Moore has no idea what Ebay is. Hey, if Alan Moore doesn't do Ebay, then neither will I.

Also, I'll no longer eat vanilla ice cream. Why? Because Alan Moore says it sucks. (I heard he said that, anyway.)

Come to think of it, now I'm going to never read another issue of Action Comics again. Cause, you know, I stand by my principals and Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's families don't want DC publishing anymore Supermans.

And screw Spider-Man. Cause Steve Ditko never got the credit he deserved. I'm done with that title, too. Wait, no, actually I dropped it after OMD.

Oh well, can't win them all.

BANNED

I think I'll just get Before Watchmen vol. 1. Everyone seems to be saying they're the good ones of the batch.

Might get Rorshach on digital, but I hear mixed to bad things about Comedian.

I reviewed the latest issues with some pictures from within here and they are very meh. In most cases the art is great but the story is meh.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

They've been getting pretty bad reviews, so far, especially here in CBR and the comics should be good blog (and they started with pretty good reviews for the first several issues). Still, there have been some okay reviews as well. Generally, the gist of it is, good art, bad stories.