Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by Choblik View Post
    Any chance that McKellen or Lee are going to die before this is finsihed?

I think it's in post-production now, so as terrible as that would be, it probably wouldn't matter the end product at this point.

BANNED

No Gandalf or Saruman in the next two movies?

The films have finished being filmed....

BANNED

So all of them are already made. I had no idea.

I think it was the same with LOTR, it was filmed in 1999 I think but had a lengthy postproduction, adding FX and stuff.

Loved the chemistry between the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf. Felt like a bunch of college boys on spring break rather than a bunch of weepy pre-schoolers missing here mothers at summer camp *cough*fellowship*cough* ;P
    48fps complemented 3d and special effects really well. I expect all future big budget effects movies will do the same. Avengers 2, Star wars 7 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Choblik View Post
    So all of them are already made. I had no idea.
    You should check out the video blog by Peter Jackson which chronicles his making of the movie. It's fascinating if you like behind the scenes info on how they do the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
    Loved the chemistry between the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf. Felt like a bunch of college boys on spring break rather than a bunch of weepy pre-schoolers missing here mothers at summer camp *cough*fellowship*cough* ;P
    48fps complemented 3d and special effects really well. I expect all future big budget effects movies will do the same. Avengers 2, Star wars 7 etc.
    Yeah . I love the chemistry too ...but i would love to see some the dwarfs have more character development in the next few movies .
    In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light

freeman is an outstanding choice for bilbo. ironically, i think, of all the hobbits, frodo was portrayed the worst. sam, merry, pip, all excellently picked, but i just donīt buy frodo.
    thing i liked best was seeing parts of the dwarf/ork war on the big screen. i always loved them stubborn, greedy, iron bitches and hated that gimli was a comic relief for the most of lotr.
    which kinda brings me to express how far from perfect i think lotr was, there was so much to dislike

-weird elrond/arwen/aragorn triangle
    -klosterfrau melissengeist galadriel *kiiiiiiitsch*

http://filmstudiesforfree.files.word.../galadriel.jpg

-oversized wargs. horses are still mighty creatures in middle earth. but who believes that if the enemy has horsesized wolfes? it should be smaller wargs, more agile but less fast and powerful than horses
    -oversized oliphants. yeah jrr described them big. but rider on a horse barely reaching their knees?
    -whole dunharg crap, magic vacuum cleansing of minas tirith
    -soldiers of gondor falling like puppies
    -new zealand is overrated as middle earth. some landscapes were good picks, others not so much
    -not enough eomer, too much legolas
    -ent parts lacking magic
    -allmost all about faramir

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frodo+in+Osgiliath.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	106342
    SUCKS!

i just wanted to comment on the body of work jackson delivered so far, to put the hobbit into perspective.
    as i said, the most crucial role in bilbo is the best i can imagine. same for gandalf.
    mixed judgement over the dwarfs. half badasses, half comic relief. typical jackson to make them surrender to the trolls(and grabbing the opportunity to insert a fight scene) for saving bilbo.
    no sense, thorin doesnīt trust bilbo yet, but they are all willing to die for him? dooh

another detail i miss and that iīd expect from a declared tolkien-fan like jackson, is bilboīs admiration of the elbs. it is such a major part in tolkiens body of work. bilbo translated elbish poems and history (red book of westmarch) and wet himself about the mere thought of meeting elbes.
    yet in the hobbit we see none of that. "lord elrond, the dwarfes have left" and with them a hobbit.
    which his greatest dream was not killing dragons, but meeting elbes. missed, mr. jackson
    a small nod of bilbo expressing how much he urged for getting into contact with elbish culture wouldīve been enough
    seriously, it is such an integral part of his personality

oh dragons... loved the part when the dwarfes ask gandalf what shitload of dragons heīd alrdy slain.
    so, there is much gold in this movie, but many missed oppertunites also

edit
    oh, i didnīt even mentioned radagast. i always had a soft spot for him.
    but this incarnation? 80s fantasy tribute?

Name:	10422125-1323103994-55624.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	106340

i always imagined him a bit like schmendrick, good heart but naive. yet still some tragedy around him

Name:	10980592_gal.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	106341

oh and perhaps someone can answer me that. i saw the movie in english, and it talked about goblins and orcs. in the published material i have read since 1985 i never heard of goblins, itīs either orcs, trolls or uruk-hai
    Last edited by sherlockbones; 12-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.

So will parts 2 and 3 come out each year or will there be a longer wait inbetween?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    So will parts 2 and 3 come out each year or will there be a longer wait inbetween?
    If I remember right, part 2 comes out next Christmas and part 3 the following summer.
    Smoke me a kipper, skipper.

Watched in on Christmas Eve with the family.

Loved every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    For some reason I want to see the next one will be released around the same time as The Hobbit was in 2013 and the third being released in late 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbones View Post
    freeman is an outstanding choice for bilbo. ironically, i think, of all the hobbits, frodo was portrayed the worst. sam, merry, pip, all excellently picked, but i just donīt buy frodo.
    thing i liked best was seeing parts of the dwarf/ork war on the big screen. i always loved them stubborn, greedy, iron bitches and hated that gimli was a comic relief for the most of lotr.
    which kinda brings me to express how far from perfect i think lotr was, there was so much to dislike

-weird elrond/arwen/aragorn triangle
    -klosterfrau melissengeist galadriel *kiiiiiiitsch*

http://filmstudiesforfree.files.word.../galadriel.jpg

-oversized wargs. horses are still mighty creatures in middle earth. but who believes that if the enemy has horsesized wolfes? it should be smaller wargs, more agile but less fast and powerful than horses
    -oversized oliphants. yeah jrr described them big. but rider on a horse barely reaching their knees?
    -whole dunharg crap, magic vacuum cleansing of minas tirith
    -soldiers of gondor falling like puppies
    -new zealand is overrated as middle earth. some landscapes were good picks, others not so much
    -not enough eomer, too much legolas
    -ent parts lacking magic
    -allmost all about faramir

Name:	Frodo+in+Osgiliath.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	106342
    SUCKS!

i just wanted to comment on the body of work jackson delivered so far, to put the hobbit into perspective.
    as i said, the most crucial role in bilbo is the best i can imagine. same for gandalf.
    mixed judgement over the dwarfs. half badasses, half comic relief. typical jackson to make them surrender to the trolls(and grabbing the opportunity to insert a fight scene) for saving bilbo.
    no sense, thorin doesnīt trust bilbo yet, but they are all willing to die for him? dooh

another detail i miss and that iīd expect from a declared tolkien-fan like jackson, is bilboīs admiration of the elbs. it is such a major part in tolkiens body of work. bilbo translated elbish poems and history (red book of westmarch) and wet himself about the mere thought of meeting elbes.
    yet in the hobbit we see none of that. "lord elrond, the dwarfes have left" and with them a hobbit.
    which his greatest dream was not killing dragons, but meeting elbes. missed, mr. jackson
    a small nod of bilbo expressing how much he urged for getting into contact with elbish culture wouldīve been enough
    seriously, it is such an integral part of his personality

oh dragons... loved the part when the dwarfes ask gandalf what shitload of dragons heīd alrdy slain.
    so, there is much gold in this movie, but many missed oppertunites also

edit
    oh, i didnīt even mentioned radagast. i always had a soft spot for him.
    but this incarnation? 80s fantasy tribute?

Name:	10422125-1323103994-55624.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	106340

i always imagined him a bit like schmendrick, good heart but naive. yet still some tragedy around him

Name:	10980592_gal.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	106341

oh and perhaps someone can answer me that. i saw the movie in english, and it talked about goblins and orcs. in the published material i have read since 1985 i never heard of goblins, itīs either orcs, trolls or uruk-hai
    They were always called Goblins in the Hobbit, I don't think the word Orc is used until LOTR.

Hobbit was an awesome film, but it was quite a disappointment compared to the book. A trilogy is a bit excessive I think, it kind of drags the story to an unnecessary length. I'm not quite sure why they even mentioned Radagast, it only mentions him in the book in a couple of paragraphs. Also the grey orc, Azog actually dies in the book and his son makes an appearance later.