Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty much a circular argument at this point.

They said that AVX will fail but when that sold gangbusters they moved onto Marvel NOW but now that one is selling big they are talking about what happens after some months.
    I think what they said was that it would be a terrible story that would dominate sales... Which came true.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    If that book continues to sell in the 100k range, it'll be a triumph. I don't think any regular series have even been cracking 60,000, pre-NOW!
    In what universe is Uncanny Avengers, one of the flagships of the NOW event, a regular series?
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    In what universe is Uncanny Avengers, one of the flagships of the NOW event, a regular series?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm defining "regular" as ongoing and shipping (more or less) monthly, i.e. not a mini-series or event book.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm defining "regular" as ongoing and shipping (more or less) monthly, i.e. not a mini-series or event book.
    Uncanny Avengers is very much an event book.

If the New 52 were event books (as Marvel fans very much liked to point out in every sales thread last year) then so are the Marvel NOW books.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Uncanny Avengers is very much an event book.

If the New 52 were event books (as Marvel fans very much liked to point out in every sales thread last year) then so are the Marvel NOW books.
    Well, I think that's patently crazy, but whatever floats your boat. So are, like, X-Factor and Scarlet Spider the only non-event books at Marvel? And DC has ZERO non-event books?

I thought it was clear I was referring to ongoing series. Sorry if my initial choice of words was somehow confusing.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!

did marvel even advertise. dc had commercials on tv. i did not see any marvel ones
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    did marvel even advertise. dc had commercials on tv. i did not see any marvel ones
    Yeah, that's my major gripe. I mean, sure, all that stuff costs money (LOTS of it), but you've got to put some in to get some out. Maybe they took a look at what DC did and decided the return didn't make up for the investment. The publishing division has been notoriously penny-pinching in recent years. Maybe they think it's enough to just invigorate the base every few years. Hoping that word of mouth will spread based on the strength of the actual content.

EDIT: By the by, here's a BleedingCool piece from two days ago noting that Amazing Spider-Man 700 (before it's even out), Thunderbolts 2, Avengers 2, Thor 3 and All New X-Men 4 have all gone back for second printings, and Amazing 698 is getting a third.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/...-gets-a-third/
    Last edited by Dog; 12-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.

still they could have slipped something into their films especially the avengers
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    still they could have slipped something into their films especially the avengers
    We've been told that even something like that is monumentally expensive. That time up on the silver screen isn't free, even if you're under the same umbrella. The movie division and the publishing division have almost nothing to do with each other.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I don't know if it's as good as commercials or subway signs, but they promoted Marvel NOW! on Jeopardy and Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Just off the top of my head.

Oh, and USA Today, of course.
    Last edited by CyberHubbs; 12-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus