Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Perkele View Post
    I never really cared for Slott's run. I dropped it after giving it a generous shot, then gave it another shot during Spider-Island, since it was apparently so "fun". All I got was more of the same things why dropped it in the first place: bland dialogue, unfunny jokes, villains all sounded the same in their cliches, and very predictable story beats. Also, I prefer it when Spidey actually outwits his opponents by thinking on his feet instead of whipping out whatever is most convenient out of his butt like he's an extremely badly written Reed Richards. I find it weird when so many ascribe the adjective "fun" to Slott's run. "Fun" is probably the last word I would attach to his work. I could have forgiven a lot of the lazy writing if it had actually contained any "fun". But whatever. "It's all subjective, people have different tastes, blablablaa, yaddyaddayadda etc etc I actually have nothing really to say..."
    The deus ex machina science gadgets has got to be one of Slott's worst tendencies during this run. It's not clever, it's not smart, it's not "fun" or subversive; it completely kills any sense of dramatic tension in your story. "Oh, did I mention I had a magical forcefield I just made up?" "Don't worry, I whipped up anti-Hobogoblin scream ear piece for just the occasion that you didn't know about"

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    The deus ex machina science gadgets has got to be one of Slott's worst tendencies during this run. It's not clever, it's not smart, it's not "fun" or subversive; it completely kills any sense of dramatic tension in your story. "Oh, did I mention I had a magical forcefield I just made up?" "Don't worry, I whipped up anti-Hobogoblin scream ear piece for just the occasion that you didn't know about"
    The anti-scream gear was based on something another Horizon employee made.

Also: web-shooters.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Slott's run is good because it's fun. Spidey comes up with machinery exactly like he did during the early years, with Slott adding to this that they create their own problems (Parker luck), there are many jokes and he's exploiting all the characters and the long history of the series.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Alsoalso: the experiment that gave Peter his powers.

Stan and Ditko were clearly hacks.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    Slott's run is good because it's fun. Spidey comes up with machinery exactly like he did during the early years, with Slott adding to this that they create their own problems (Parker luck), there are many jokes and he's exploiting all the characters and the long history of the series.
    I enjoy fun comics, "Wolverine and the Xmen" is a fun comic but Jason Aaron develops his characters such as idle, broo and quentin quire. Apart from one girlfriend and a job Peter feels exactly the same just with added temper tantrums. if my guess of what will happen at the end of ASM 700 is true than Slott would be, in my opinion, a lazy writer that finds difficulty in successfully moulding a characters life without going to extremes. Also while I do appreciate seeing old characters return it just seems that they are shoehorned randomly into the book, the recent goblin thing was a mess and seems to have only happened to give fans an answer to the question "what would happen if these characters meet?". However I do like spidey having gadgets, in some cases they are excessive, but they do the job just like the character wants.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I enjoy fun comics, "Wolverine and the Xmen" is a fun comic but Jason Aaron develops his characters such as idle, broo and quentin quire. Apart from one girlfriend and a job Peter feels exactly the same just with added temper tantrums. if my guess of what will happen at the end of ASM 700 is true than Slott would be, in my opinion, a lazy writer that finds difficulty in successfully moulding a characters life without going to extremes. Also while I do appreciate seeing old characters return it just seems that they are shoehorned randomly into the book, the recent goblin thing was a mess and seems to have only happened to give fans an answer to the question "what would happen if these characters meet?". However I do like spidey having gadgets, in some cases they are excessive, but they do the job just like the character wants.
    "Lazy writing" is a pretty meaningless term.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    "Lazy writing" is a pretty meaningless term.

SW
    by "lazy writing" I mean that Slott's Amazing Spider-Man feels generic and more like a Saturday morning cartoon with a "villain of the week" theme. The book never goes in a direction that truly pushes Peter, i know that every time a hero fights a villain the hero wins but im more interested in the way such a story plays out, i find that ASM allows Peter to win too easily, the character is never broken, or experiences hardship as spiderman or peter parker, the book just feels repetitive, and like the extra 10 seasons of a TV show thats already dead. the fact that ASM is pretty much never referenced in other marvel book probably is one of the reasons why i dont find this book to no longer be of significant importance in the marvel universe, the scale of spider-island was pretty big and the event left NewYorkers with the power to know where north is (not being rude or anything, i just think thats a factor that should be touched up on by other books), but the only time i've ever seen the event referenced was in one speech bubble in an avengers book.

Spider-Island and Big time were good and the lizard storyline was ok but otherwise his run has been average but then I was one of the few that enjoyed the clone saga.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

but the only time i've ever seen the event referenced was in one speech bubble in an avengers book.
    Why do you expect anything different... Do the events of Captain America, Hulk or Iron Man greatly impact or are overly referenced in the Avenger's books? No. Likewise Spider-Man's appearances in other books aren't overly referenced in ASM, either. This is partly due to the erratic timeline all the books or on, and partly because no one cares. Solo titles are meant to contain solo stories, regardless if other characters are featured in them.

That said, Slott's run (not really sure how influential Slott has been in this regard, but it happened during his run) has done wonders in integrating Spider-Man to the larger MU, both in that he appears in other books more frequently, and that other heroes appear in his books. And this is with the title "Avenging Spider-Man" already existing. Not to mention satellite titles like Venom and Scarlet Spider expanding the Spidey-verse even more.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post

That said, Slott's run (not really sure how influential Slott has been in this regard, but it happened during his run) has done wonders in integrating Spider-Man to the larger MU, both in that he appears in other books more frequently, and that other heroes appear in his books. And this is with the title "Avenging Spider-Man" already existing. Not to mention satellite titles like Venom and Scarlet Spider expanding the Spidey-verse even more.
    Eh, I am not sure how much of that you can attribute to slott and how much is the result of the decisions made by the overall marvel editorial. In fact, I am not really sure if he can really claim to have anything to do with it really.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charlesthehammer View Post
    Eh, I am not sure how much of that you can attribute to slott and how much is the result of the decisions made by the overall marvel editorial. In fact, I am not really sure if he can really claim to have anything to do with it really.
    Doubtful. Even if it wasn't his idea, he still wrote these things into his run, and that's what counts. But the point is that Spidey gets so many appearances in other books as is, despite already being in Avenging and Avengers. Frankly, I think he gets more than he deserves, nice as it is seeing Peter Parker in titles like WaTXM, I'm surprised more people aren't calling over exposure. At any rate, these greater integration with the rest of the MU are still part of Slott's "run", regardless of how much of it was his idea.
    Last edited by EuphemismForSex; 12-16-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Bad news everyone...

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I don't think you understand "deus ex machina".

You may not like Pete inventing stuff, but it's all been set up a part of the story. That's not to say you like it and that's fine, but it's all been plotted into the stories, not pulled out of nowhere.

The kind of thing you're railing against is called "writing".

SW
    Last edited by stephen wacker; 12-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Veteran Member

by "lazy writing" I mean that Slott's Amazing Spider-Man feels generic and more like a Saturday morning cartoon with a "villain of the week" theme. The book never goes in a direction that truly pushes Peter, i know that every time a hero fights a villain the hero wins but im more interested in the way such a story plays out, i find that ASM allows Peter to win too easily, the character is never broken, or experiences hardship as spiderman or peter parker, the book just feels repetitive, and like the extra 10 seasons of a TV show thats already dead. the fact that ASM is pretty much never referenced in other marvel book probably is one of the reasons why i dont find this book to no longer be of significant importance in the marvel universe, the scale of spider-island was pretty big and the event left NewYorkers with the power to know where north is (not being rude or anything, i just think thats a factor that should be touched up on by other books), but the only time i've ever seen the event referenced was in one speech bubble in an avengers book.
    Okay, so "lazy writing" is just stuff you wouldn't do if you wrote it?

And you are flat out wrong about ASM stuff never getting referenced anywhere. I guess if you discount all the mentions and references you might be right, but the books is referenced pretty regularly across the line (though I'm not sure how that relates to "lazy writing").

SW

Ooooh, I was actually wondering if Dan put those in just to screw with the reader. There were about 2 or 3 moments in the goblin arc where, for a fraction of a second, I thought Modell was about to bite the dust. It was always resolved in next panel, but while I was reading 696 and 697 I thought it was entirely possible that Max might die, so every time he was in danger that was in the back of my mind. By the time he whipped out the shield app, I had the distinct impression that this was one of Slott's red herrings and all those near escapes were put in there for the sake of a laugh and not drama, so I saw it as a pretty funny joke rather than a cop out.

Am I anywhere near the mark?

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Hypothetically speaking, in what ways will you develop Peter Parker?
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison