Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mods Please delete!

Edit: I don't want to start a flame war that wont end well.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 12-10-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Edit:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::
    Last edited by Gryphon; 12-10-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Could a mod delete this thread please?

While you make some salient points, it's actually more of "six of one, half a dozen of the other". Both versions are PART of the story, neither is 100% of it.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    While you make some salient points, it's actually more of "six of one, half a dozen of the other". Both versions are PART of the story, neither is 100% of it.
    If you say so.

I kind of regret making the thread as I dont want to start any arguments that will get out of hand.

OK. It's just that...anyplace that has perceivable winter has a festival. They all originate in the agricultural cycle, and just get their current religion tacked onto it.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

Didn't read the unedited Original Post, but as an atheist I'd like to say I think Christmas is fun even if you don't take the magic part seriously. Great songs, great traditions, decorations, lights, presents, etc. What's not to love? Also, good for the economy. Like a colder Halloween.
    A Fool for the Foom

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Indeed. What's not to love about this Saturnalia thing. We should only take this to new heights of "December liberty" and get all debauched.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I am just gonna hazard a guess that the original posts were about THIS misconception.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

I wish I could remember who this quote is by:
    "It is every little girl's dream to be
    The fairy on a Christmas tree.
    A wand in her hand,
    A smile on her face.
    And a tree in a most peculiar place."
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-11-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Heh, that one always cracked me up. It's not the tryptophan at Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's the fact that you just ate the equivalent of three meals.
    'Dox out.

These were the original posts

From a discussion in Rita's

Many people today assume that christmas is just a christianized form of saturnalia but that isnt the case.

Well about christmas as a roman holiday originally, thats only half true. The other half is that the early christians often celebrated at the same time as the pagans and made their celebrations resemble the pagan ones in order to hide to escape persecution. Many pagan elements in christmas are holdovers from that, not from attempts to appropriate a pagan holiday.

I had a class on this during my courses in university, and the professor took the time to explain that it is a historical error.

Christmas is not saturnalia and should not be mistaken for it.

I don't celebrate christmas but historical errors like that irk me.

It is true that it became part of mass conversions but the fact remains that many christians held on to pagan customs they had to hide from perseciton from the romans.

This was more due to the fact that christmas now had some resemblance to saturnalia and others but not as deep as many think.

The puritans banned christmas celebrations due to extreme fanatical beliefs that it was impure and pagan but not all christians felt the same.

I had never even heard about a saturnalia connection. But the "winter solstice" thing is quite common knowledge here.

Same thing with Easter, which still has all those fertility symbols from Pagan spring celebrations attached to it.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I had never even heard about a saturnalia connection. But the "winter solstice" thing is quite common knowledge here.

Same thing with Easter, which still has all those fertility symbols from Pagan spring celebrations attached to it.
    Like I said, many of the connections do come from the early ( emphasis on early) christians celebrating at the same time and taking some customs to hide from pagans better. Remember that in the early days of christianity the romans didnt really like them that much ( an understatement of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Like I said, many of the connections do come from the early ( emphasis on early) christians celebrating at the same time and taking some customs to hide from pagans better. Remember that in the early days of christianity the romans didnt really like them that much ( an understatement of course)
    Is it "hide from Pagans" or "win them over better by adding to their holidays instead of replacing them"?

After all, "early Christians" also knew that they could sell their religion better to some cultures when they brought in the Mother of God as a figure to be prayed to. They were cunning.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu