Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Variant comics

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    But in the existing variant culture of label, logos, price tags, ad inserts, and different covers, I could care less about that.
    -M
    How much less could you care? Ha!

Seriously, this is a sensible take on the variant issue, and it's the one I expected from the learned members of this board. It's also one that I share. As greedy and shallow a collector as I am, I genuinely have zero interest in price variants, except for the scholarship that has emerged in their wake. Like most of you, I can't see myself seeking out additional copies of books I already own simply because a different price appears on the cover.

On the other hand, if a book I am seeking is available in both price variants, I may pursue the rarer book. . .to a point. But ultimately, I must own the book. The price that appears on the cover is a superfluidity for scholars and speculators.
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    Would you pay a premium for a book with a variant cover price,
    *Snicker*

cover
    I've bought comics specifically for the variant cover - The Ramona Fradon variant of Namora # 1. I think I paid a buck.

or internal printing errors (whether known or unknown to the publisher),
    I could see me buying, like, a book where the postproduction guys wrote a swear in the background. But that's just my sophisticated and worldly sense of humor.

or an unlicensed after-market reprint (aka: a counterfeit copy a la Cerebus #1), or etc.?
    Probably not me, but if I was a hardcore Cerebus archivist, I'd definitely see the value in that. I'm just not quite into any one thing enough.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

That's a gorgeous cover, simply breath-taking, but trying to rhyme "Glider" with "Fighter" is as laughable as Paris Hilton on a pig farm.
    It's also a nice homage to Silver Surfer #4.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I realized, upon reflection, that I do have one minor exception to my general lack of interest in variants:

Given the choice (and if the cost is the same) I'll always choose a direct edition of a comic from the 1980s or 1990s that uses the UPC box for artwork or promotions as opposed to the newsstand edition with the barcode. In that instance, the variant actually provides more aesthetic entertainment. Of course, by 1989, one could argue that newsstand editions were the true variants.

And, just to clarify, I don't think anyone here has said they have anything against collecting variants. Some of us just don't see the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Of course, by 1989, one could argue that newsstand editions were the true variants.
    There are some people who are now seeking out and paying premiums for newsstand editions of some 90's books that had low newsstand print runs. True story.

Similarly, there's a subset of collectors who collect reprints; not reprint titles, mind you, but second, third or fourth editions of titles, where the later prints had a much smaller print run than the earlier prints. It seems odd to me (though I get it intellectually), but there are some comics that have little or no value for the regular edition but the third or fifth print is highly sought after by those collectors.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    There are some people who are now seeking out and paying premiums for newsstand editions of some 90's books that had low newsstand print runs. True story.

Similarly, there's a subset of collectors who collect reprints; not reprint titles, mind you, but second, third or fourth editions of titles, where the later prints had a much smaller print run than the earlier prints. It seems odd to me (though I get it intellectually), but there are some comics that have little or no value for the regular edition but the third or fifth print is highly sought after by those collectors.
    I don't bother with latter prints if it's the same cover...but if a second print goes guns and I like the cover, I'm game. I remember Batman 608 having a second edition which had only 20,000 copies and these sell for over $40 each on eBay, considerably more than the first print. More recently, DC's New 52 JLA #1 had a hit with the 2nd print which I think was the widescreen cover...

A comic does appeal to me if its printing is on a much smaller scale to regular copies...like those Retailer RRP variants to DC New 52 Action Comics #1...only 500 copies exist...and I own 5 of them.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I was thinking of getting variant covers to all the team-up books - They're only a handful (I think two: Marvel Team-up (Second series 2) and Brave and the Bold (First ongoing series 1) but decided that wasn't remotely a high priority. But if I find 'em in the three for a buck bin, I'll fish them out.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

I'm pretty much there with the rest of you. I have very few variant covers and mostly only get them if I'm totally on fire for the character or title and am trying to throw some extra support behind them, like the Kirby Genesis variants from Dynamite, or it's simply too good to resist and isn't crazy expensive like the variant cover to Action # 900 I picked up for double cover.

One time I went out of my way to get the variants was when Valiant's properties went over to Acclaim in the 90's. I loved Valiant and was totally excited about Acclaim and got both the regular as well as the painted versions.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Well, it seems I am a bit of a hybrid collector... I have over 7,000 regular comics and about 500 "variant" cover comics. It should be noted that I don't collect "manufactured" variants but only natural variants. My collection does sport a full set of 1976 Marvel 30 cent variants and about a dozen other variant sets including the modern Marvel price variant set from 2004 (including the 2 error covers), the Pressman X-Men set and the So Much Fun variants among others.

However, I only get these on the cheap or in trades so most of the time I pay somewhere around the what you would pay for the regular issue. The only exception was a few of my final 30 cent Westerns that did cost me around $50. I just enjoy the challenge of the chase!
    30 cent variant set finally finished!

I remember back in the day worrying over which covers I should get. With Micronauts I opted to buy more than one copy for each issue, just to hedge my bets on the variants. That was the only title where I went to such lengths.

The natural variants are much more attractive than the manufactured ones. If I was ever to go after variants now, I'd probably specialize in Canadian variants--those comics that had variant covers in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    The natural variants are much more attractive than the manufactured ones. If I was ever to go after variants now, I'd probably specialize in Canadian variants--those comics that had variant covers in Canada.
    Canadian price variants are interesting to me. I would rather have them than regular editions but so far I haven't found any I need at comparative prices to regular U.S. editions.

I'm a collector of these books and I must say they do go for some money if you can find and sell them. Here is one that sold last month.
    http://www.qualitycomix.com/catalog_...&submit=Search
    This issue is extra rare do to a printing error on top of it being a "test price variant".
    I collect these books for the thrill of the hunt and when I do sell them I get a better profit than the regular Bronze Age or any Bronze Age book for that matter.

MRP pretty much crawled in to my head and said everything I'd say.

I won't pay a premium for any comic, much less something just because it has some superficial differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    MRP pretty much crawled in to my head and said everything I'd say.

I won't pay a premium for any comic, much less something just because it has some superficial differences.
    I respect your position, and agree completely when it comes to "superficial differences."

But no premium for any comic? That's pretty hardcore. That would exclude Edgar Church, Crowley and Cosmic Aeroplane, Davis Crippen, River City, and Gaines, Kurtzman, and Harvey file copies among many others. Books whose desirability is enhanced, some would say, by virtue of their particular proven heritage or background. Many are superfluous, but there are those elusive few who warrant a few extra sheckels to secure surely, aren't there?
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

I respect your position, and agree completely when it comes to "superficial differences."

But no premium for any comic? That's pretty hardcore. That would exclude Edgar Church, Crowley and Cosmic Aeroplane, Davis Crippen, River City, and Gaines, Kurtzman, and Harvey file copies among many others. Books whose desirability is enhanced, some would say, by virtue of their particular proven heritage or background. Many are superfluous, but there are those elusive few who warrant a few extra sheckels to secure surely, aren't there?
    I wouldn't pay for a pedigree comic
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress