Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

How long before we get an All-Star Hyperion Squadron title?

Quote Originally Posted by KavalSorcery View Post
    Exclusives are not done as much anymore as both companies prefer to have them freelance rather than pay them a set amount under contract.
    Hickman is Marvel Exclusive now though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Luck911 View Post
    Honestly i forgot that Gladiator was arrogant,He has been more straight arrow type noble hero type recently
    No, you really don't see him show his arrogance, too much. It's too bad. It's because of that snide attitude that I thought some Marvel characters were so cool. Going down the list again, Quicksilver, Namor, Noh Varr...it adds a different dimension to the books.

You think of Gladiator and you compare him to a guy like Magneto, you can see what someone like Gladiator could turn into if he took his complex too far. Now that Glads is the emperor of the Shi'ar, maybe he might get corrupted by the power he wields?

I remember reading somewhere (probably Frank Miller's Man Without Fear intro) that Stan Lee's idea of a good villain was that the character had every aspect to be a great hero, with the exception of that one flaw that makes him a villain. With that in mind, Miller ponders about why Daredevil didn't turn out to be a villain due to all the excuses he had to become one. That forward by Miller has always stuck with me. It kind of makes me look at heroic characters in a different light. Whenever I see Gladiator and I see a little bit of that smirk he shows whenever he just completely breaks down an opponent (looking back at his fight with Cannonball), combined with his lack of humour...I could see this guy going bad guy very easily. Makes things interesting.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Hyperion arena , many hyperion goes in , only one hyperion comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgiff View Post
    Hickman is Marvel Exclusive now though, right?
    Well he has some stuff with Image.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Although, to Hickman's point...this gives him the use a Superman analog that doesn't have a prior personality setting. This Hyperion could be a jokester, could be distubred, optimistic, vengeful...any number of personality traits that Hickman wants to pursue, Hyperion gives him that ability to do so.

As much as I want someone like Gladiator, there's a possibility that he doesn't really fit into Hickman's plan.
    Oh yeah, I agree. If Hickman wants to introduce another Hyperion, then he should. I have full faith in him producing the goods. Supreme Powers Hyperion would have just made me a happy bunny!

Man, I love Gladiator but I wouldn't want him in Avengers, that's no place for the Shi'ar Emperor. Still with Avengers going a little more cosmic and GotG around the corner, I'm sure he'll show up at some point.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

I believe Gladiator is definitely just sitting right there on one of the future covers (the one that shows off Smasher).

But in general if things are gonna be runnin' around threatening universes and beating up his Imperial Guard, it's a good indicator that he'll be too busy to go adventuring himself. I wonder if Smasher is meant to be his delegate to Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Interdimensional Council of Hyperions

So how will people feel once Hyperion show's he is Thor's superior??
    www.kavalsorcery.com Sorcery to help your life.

Best Coast Avenger BartonisHawkeye88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EC1231 View Post
    And he couldn't use Blue Marvel b/c?
    I find Blue Marvel incredibly dull and pointless. But that's just me

I think using Hyperion is awesome.
    Of all of Marvel's "Superman" archetypes he's my favorite.

Hyperion > Blue Marvel >>>>> Sentry
    PULL: Hawkeye, Star Wars, Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, Secret Avengers

I don't think that will happen.

I asked Hickman in Q&A how he likes to manage characters with similar/overlapping powersets and archetypes, and he replied, basically, that he doesn't see that much overlap in most cases because of the different peripheral things that always come along with the basic power package.

So in a grouping like Thor-Hyperion-Smasher-Captain Universe, I'm expecting him to treat the basic things that they all share - flight, melee acumen, super-strength - roughly equal and, instead of differentiating them in those more shared areas, have Hyperion's cooler feats derive from his superman-esque super-senses and durability, have Thor's cooler feats focus on the pseudo-mystical things that can be done with the Godforce and the use of the hammer, have Captain Universe's cooler feats focus on the dynamic the Host has with the Uni-power, and have Smasher''s cooler feats focus on whatever she's got going on.

Which I think would be the cooler way to go about it, and much preferable to "WHO WOULD WIN IN AN ARM-WRESTLING CONTEST?" "WHO WOULD WIN IN A RACE?" "WHO IS BETTER AT FISTICUFFS?"

When he said "Hyperion will be the biggest ass-kicker on the team", I interpreted that as Hyperion being more driven and/or angrier than Thor (due to, you know, his Universe getting the croak) and thus more disposed toward ass-kicking. That or just a tweak at the incessant HULK VS THOR questions.
    Last edited by PupsOfWar; 12-12-2012 at 11:47 PM.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BartonisHawkeye88 View Post
    I find Blue Sue incredibly dull and pointless. But that's just me
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Hyperion arena , many hyperion goes in , only one hyperion comes out.

YOU, SIR... might just be on-to something! :D
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    Well he has some stuff with Image.
    Yes, but I think he has a Marvel Exclusive contract. All of those dude's contracts have stipulations like that for "independent" stuff. That's how Jason Aaron could still work on Scalped at Vertigo. I was just saying that it would be awesome for Hickman to write some Superman stories, but there is no way that will happen under his current contract.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgiff View Post
    Yes, but I think he has a Marvel Exclusive contract. All of those dude's contracts have stipulations like that for "independent" stuff. That's how Jason Aaron could still work on Scalped at Vertigo. I was just saying that it would be awesome for Hickman to write some Superman stories, but there is no way that will happen under his current contract.
    One thing to keep in mind is how the lack of reverence paid to a certain character can be a good thing.

For instance, J. Michael Straczynski once said that he would crawl over vomit and broken glass to write Superman. This was when he was still working with Marvel. He then went on to write Supreme Power, which is one of Marvel's best books, IMO. He also wrote a great Thor run, which will go down as one of the better runs on the character.

However, when he went to DC, he got his chance to write the big characters, including Superman. Now, I have not sampled any of his Superman work. From what I hear, the Superman: Earth One graphic novels are pretty good, but you don't see the kind of praise for them as you might see for his Thor or Rising Stars. He's a big time Superman fan, but the results may not have been as anticipated.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by BartonisHawkeye88 View Post
    I find Blue Marvel incredibly dull and pointless. But that's just me

I think using Hyperion is awesome.
    Of all of Marvel's "Superman" archetypes he's my favorite.

Hyperion > Blue Marvel >>>>> Sentry
    completely agree.

If Hyperion ends up showing himself superior to Thor (something I'm somewhat skeptical would happen), I would honestly have a bit of trouble buying it simply because Thors probably got a dozen victories over various Hyperions. King Hyperion aside, Hyperions typically don't do well against top tier marvel bricks.

But then again, I suppose this is a different Hyperion.