View Poll Results: Vertigo: better or worse with Karen Berger leaving?

Voters
33. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • better

1 3.03%
  • worse

22 66.67%
  • same

10 30.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arboria in the Summer Tombstone in the Winter

Default Vertigo: better or worse

Do you think that Vertigo will bet better or worse now that Karen Berger stepped down?
    The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.
    Bring Back MI:13 & Marvel UK permanently

The obvious answer would be time will tell. However I imagine Berger wouldn't leave without having her reasons, plus that we are seeing Swamp Thing and Constantine in the DCU after being mainstays in Vertigo gives the impression that the Vertigo imprint is going to be given less attention by the new management. I get the feeling it will turn moreso into Marvel's Icon imprint that it will give the current (exclusive) writers working for DCU an outlet to stretch their writing abilities, as opposed to give 'new' writers a chance.

I'd like to see which new titles will sprout in the coming months now that DMZ and Scalped have ended, I believe Sweet Tooth will follow soon as well if I remember correctly and American Vampire is going on hiatus.

Probably kinda the same.

Ask again in a year or so if you want any answers not 100% based on guesswork and doom prophecies.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

It's not just about Karen Berger stepping down (or being made redundant). It's about the change in mentality in DC after they were bought by Time/Warner that had many consequences, including creators switching to Image and other publishers and Berger leaving.

I know some people will disagree, but today's Vertigo is at a very low point for me.

The corner of Marvel UK & Earth 2 Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    It's not just about Karen Berger stepping down (or being made redundant). It's about the change in mentality in DC after they were bought by Time/Warner that had many consequences, including creators switching to Image and other publishers and Berger leaving.

I know some people will disagree, but today's Vertigo is at a very low point for me.
    You are so right, DC is destroying the best things about DC and that is Vertigo letting Karen leave is a huge mistake. DC said they are trying to go into other genres well how can you when you're sabotaging your main outlet for other genres?
    RedWinter
    Courage is being scared to death & still saddling up.
    Moving to the corner of Marvel UK & Earth 2

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    Ehm... DC Comics has been the property of Time Warner for a lot longer than Vertigo has existed.
    It's been that way since the late sixties.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Yes, bad phrasing on my part, I meant the changes in 2009.

On the heels of Disney acquiring Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion last week, now comes word Warner Bros. is taking firmer control over DC Comics, overseeing the publishing company under a new division that will report directly to Warner Pictures.
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0909...ructuring.html

So I meant the change in mentality at DC Comics in the last three years, specifically the way it affected Vertigo.

And I just saw that the poll runs till Christmas 2020. Not sure Vertigo will still exist then. :p
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-11-2012 at 04:11 AM.

All the DCU characters migrating back to the DCU is probably fall-out from that, but I see that as a good thing actually.

Time will tell. What's more distressing that Karen Berger's departure, so far as Vertigo is concerned, is the tremendous falloff in output. Scalped recently finished its five-year run and Sweet Tooth is ending; both series are ending as planned, but we aren't seeing any new ongoings to replace them. Now American Vampire is going on hiatus and Hellblazer's being cancelled. Of last year's three new ongoings, which started up at about the time Northlanders was cancelled (and some months after the cancellation of House of Mystery and Madame Xandadu), one has been cancelled. Collider, a new ongoing promised for this fall, hasn't materialized yet.

As of March 2013, Vertigo's down to only four ongoings: Fables, Fairest, The Unwritten and Saucer Country. The only mini is a movie adaptation. Add to that a one-shot anthology, and Vertigo's only got six comic books published all month.

DC's told us that they have big things planned for Vertigo's 20th anniversary. The question is, "Where's the beef?" There's got to be more than the Snyder, Lemire and Sandman minis they've revealed so far. Right?
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    DC's told us that they have big things planned for Vertigo's 20th anniversary. The question is, "Where's the beef?" There's got to be more than the Snyder, Lemire and Sandman minis they've revealed so far. Right?
    Right. I'm suspecting the release of Collider during this time. Also, probably two more titles. Back in March, we saw the release of Saucer Country and Voodoo Child. Well, these titles got their starts in the anthology books from before where the writer made a short story that related back to the main title. Same thing happened for iZombie I believe. So, let's look to Ghosts and Mystery in Space. I'm suspecting something from one of those comics to be expanded out into a regular comic.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Right. I'm suspecting the release of Collider during this time. Also, probably two more titles. Back in March, we saw the release of Saucer Country and Voodoo Child. Well, these titles got their starts in the anthology books from before where the writer made a short story that related back to the main title. Same thing happened for iZombie I believe. So, let's look to Ghosts and Mystery in Space. I'm suspecting something from one of those comics to be expanded out into a regular comic.
    Absolutely! I'm up for a Dead Boy Detectives regular series! Let's go for it!

Or bring them to the DCU and put them in the Teen Titans. Now THAT could be fun...
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

Somewhere between Earth 2 Seaside Heights & Earth 616 Surf City

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Do you think that Vertigo will bet better or worse now that Karen Berger stepped down?
    They will shut the Vertigo imprint down
    To paint comic books as childish and illiterate is lazy. A lot of comic books are very literate - unlike most films.
    Somewhere on an alternate earth Captain America is a member of the JSA

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy Sr View Post
    They will shut the Vertigo imprint down
    Unfortunately, this. I don't think Vertigo is long for this world. Maybe they limp through another year or so but it's not looking good. I think (hope) we might begin to see some more diversity among "DC" branded titles as it seems they want everything under one flag.
    Cruising through the multiverse

People clue me in. So what do you expect will happen to the Vertigo line now that this key figure is gone? I don't know what imprint down means as it was mentioned by the above posters.

I collect American Vampire hardcovers so I guess I'm most interested in how this could effect the quality of the books being printed and published. Thanks.
    Reading: Batman, Wonder Woman, American Vampire, The Walking Dead, Ghostbusters, Transformers
    Considering: Swamp Thing, Animal Man

It's in its all time low but I'm fairly optimistic it will get better.
    BB