Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, we definitely need a new forum. They are usually the most discussed books in the independent section.

Now I agree as I noted in my post (#2) that as of right now VALIANT doesn't need it's own forum but 12-18months out easily could support one volume wise in terms of threads created to talk about the books and company.

For those who say no their no seems tied to the now. What about in a year or two as the company releases more material. More people are already discovering the books. That's evidenced alone by the people in the threads saying as much. Is your no a no for anytime then?
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Valiant would have to get near to Image levels in terms of titles, audience and activity before we would consider thinking about making a board for it.

We used to have a Dark Horse board a while ago. But after a while, we felt it didn't get enough interest so we merged it in the Indie board.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Now I agree as I noted in my post (#2) that as of right now VALIANT doesn't need it's own forum but 12-18months out easily could support one volume wise in terms of threads created to talk about the books and company.

For those who say no their no seems tied to the now. What about in a year or two as the company releases more material. More people are already discovering the books. That's evidenced alone by the people in the threads saying as much. Is your no a no for anytime then?
    It really depends. DH, IDW and Dynamite put out 15-30 books at any given time, yet there doesn't seem to be enough discussion to warrant their own forum. So it really is a wait and see thing.

Even though the VALIANT threads here get good volume for the Indy Forum, look at the Big 2 boards. They'll get 75 posts and have 5+ pages within a few hours of a review or news item being posted. VALIANT is just not close to that right now.

Now what I think we could have is a Valiant/Dark Horse/Dynamite/IDW/Boom! Forum. Then the remaining, truly Indy, books and small publishers would be discussed here.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just wondering if anybody else is feeling the general Independant section of this forum is starting to be taken over by Valiant threads, or is that just a passing phase? (Not like that wouldn't be the first time with Valiant comics.)
    I'd rather have a Dynamite forum.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    I'd rather have a Dynamite forum.
    Eh, the Dynamite discussion here ranges from heavy at times to almost nonexistent, usually I find myself being the one to bring up talk about non-popilar books by the company or books that have yet to build a major reader base. I would love to see more Dynamite fans speak up and help the conversation flow, however.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    It really depends. DH, IDW and Dynamite put out 15-30 books at any given time, yet there doesn't seem to be enough discussion to warrant their own forum. So it really is a wait and see thing.

Even though the VALIANT threads here get good volume for the Indy Forum, look at the Big 2 boards. They'll get 75 posts and have 5+ pages within a few hours of a review or news item being posted. VALIANT is just not close to that right now.

Now what I think we could have is a Valiant/Dark Horse/Dynamite/IDW/Boom! Forum. Then the remaining, truly Indy, books and small publishers would be discussed here.
    I agree that Valiant at its current output of titles can't support a forum, but I think by this time next year it could. I bet we have more books by then, not to mention the fallout of Harbinger Wars to generate buzz.

I disagree with your last point, though, because I think it's a good thing that traffic from people interested in things from those companies potentially exposes them to the very small books. Which probably doesn't translate into sales very much, but those books need all the support they can get... even if it's a kind of forum run-off.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Once Valiant is putting out 8-10 monthly titles the Indy board will be even more dominated by Valiant and the company would deserve its own forum aside from the Indy board. As it stands its the most discussed publisher on the Indy board and its only a matter of time until it out weighs itself and needs its own section. Give it 8-12 months.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Eh, the Dynamite discussion here ranges from heavy at times to almost nonexistent, usually I find myself being the one to bring up talk about non-popilar books by the company or books that have yet to build a major reader base. I would love to see more Dynamite fans speak up and help the conversation flow, however.
    I read a lot of Dynamite. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about their stuff.

I read a lot of Dynamite. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about their stuff.
    But, Tony, your tastes are different from many others.

(I'm not saying I disagree with your tastes, but you do often appear to be in the minority of your preferences.
    I should know . . . I'm sometimes in the same boat. )
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I think Dynamite's problem is a lack of diversity among their titles. Don't get me wrong, I like all the pulp noir and sci fi stuff, but they have so much of it I think they are limiting their customer base. There are only so many readers who are interested in those genre of books, and they are being forced to choose which titles to read because they produce so many. I think that is why you don't see more discussion.

Where I think VALIANT has done a good job is in attracting a broader readership, beyond the hardcore base like myself who will buy everything, by offering a variety of genres. I see/hear many people only picking up 1 or 2 VALIANT books, while others get them all.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Valiant has a broader variety than Dynamite, by offering five super hero titles?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Valiant has a broader variety than Dynamite, by offering five super hero titles?
    .Actually only XO and Shadowman are hardcore superheroes.
    Harbinger is more of a sci-fi epic.
    Bloodshot is more military action.
    A&A is more fantasy, quest(like Highlander meets National Treasure)
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Dynamite does superhero stuff, sci-fi, fantasy/D&D style titles, pulp noir, badass chicks who cover fantasy/gun crazy/sci-fi/Vampire, war time comics, thrillers, and mysteries......

That's VERY diversified of you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    .Actually only XO and Shadowman are hardcore superheroes.
    Harbinger is more of a sci-fi epic.
    Bloodshot is more military action.
    A&A is more fantasy, quest(like Highlander meets National Treasure)
    I guess for someone who doesn't read super heroes, they all look exactly like super hero comics. Vietnam Journal is military action. Bloodshot is a muscleman with a totally 90's codename and a logo on his chest.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress