Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Bleedingcool: Ray Fawkes On Batgirl Will He Receive The Treatment Of His Namesake?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/...-his-namesake/

Let's pray that this is true, DC needs to bring more new talent.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Never heard of this guy before today myself. I honestly have no clue what to think of him taking over. Hope its good, but i guess we'll see.

Veteran Member

He's an indie writer known for his work in One Soul and was recently brought by Jeff Lemire to help him co-write Justice League Dark.

Having Lemire's seal of approval is enough for me to be excited.

He'll be co-writing JL Dark before that so we'll have an idea of his skills. If I like his JL Dark I might give his Batgirl a shot.

I'll miss Gail on the book, but I wish the new guy luck. I probably will pass on giving it a look, nothing against him since I don't know him, but I can only buy so many comics a month.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I think that more than a few readers of Batgirl like me are Simone fans more than Batgirl fans and may look at this move by DC as changing the editorial direction of the book away from Simone's layered complexity to DC's more "art for socially impaired giggling psychos" approach to some of their characters. If the outburst on twitter is any clue, I think people are not optimistic and will drop the book. If you are reading Batgirl then all of a sudden Babs turns into a cross of Starfire and Starling, hard drinking, hard fighting tough chick that gets her sex on the run, the Simone fans will drop the book faster than can say, "the sales are worse than when Steph was Batgirl."
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

I gave Gail's Batgirl a shot. It disappointed me, so I dropped it.

I'll give the new guy's Batgirl a fair shot as well. Hope it's good!
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Guy Fawkes is often quoted to be "The last man to enter Parliament with honest intentions" so maybe it could be a good omen.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    I gave Gail's Batgirl a shot. It disappointed me, so I dropped it.

I'll give the new guy's Batgirl a fair shot as well. Hope it's good!
    We don't know yet, so that is the attitude I will have also and give it a chance.

I really hope Fawkes does well, I enjoyed his work on Mercy and One Soul. But I think that with the way this whole thing was handled, I feel like DC set him up to fail. It's not his fault but I guarantee there are going to be tons of mad fans at him.

I think he can write Batgirl well, Mercy was good.

Quote Originally Posted by rxkings View Post
    I really hope Fawkes does well, I enjoyed his work on Mercy and One Soul. But I think that with the way this whole thing was handled, I feel like DC set him up to fail. It's not his fault but I guarantee there are going to be tons of mad fans at him.

I think he can write Batgirl well, Mercy was good.
    And not rush to judgement as obviously his first few issues will have to follow established plot lines to some extent, so it will take a while to fully show his own take on the character.

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

So far he is only being given 2 issues. Issues that have to deal with the immediate aftermath of what has happened. While he seems to be a legitimate talent I think it would take 3 issues before we really get to see what he can do. He doesn't have the benifit of startong from scratch with a relaunch, and even great writers have had a tendency to do their worst work when cleaning up after someone else's plots. If he stays it wouldn't be till issue 20 that I'd expect an improvement.

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Ray Fawkes to Fill In For Two Issues on DC's "Batgirl"

As fans react to Sunday's announcement that Gail Simone will no longer be writing "Batgirl," ROBOT 6 has learned "Justice League Dark" co-writer Ray Fawkes will fill in on the title in March.

Full article here.

Ray Fawkes? I dunno he's okay I guess but after Gail, he has BIG shoes to fill
    but the cover art... its horrible! What the hell happened to BG's boobs? When did they turn into abdominal muscles?

It seems like these two issues are there to finish whatever threads are left hanging by Gail and the Death of the Family in a way that allows Gail's issues + these two Fawkes issues to fit nicely into a trade collection for the third trade release. Doing a Vol. 3 of Batgirl with just Gail's remaining issues would make that book a little light. #18 and #19 will help pad that out. Vol. 1 was 6 issues. Vol. 2 is 8 issues with #0, 7-13. Vol. 3 seems like it would be Gail's #14-17 then Fawkes #18-19 for a total of 6 issues. It just makes sense. It also buys DC a couple of months to find a more permanent solution for who takes Batgirl next if they're not totally sold on Fawkes or if Fawkes is just truly doing a guest spot for two issues. Then when its time for Batgirl Vol. 4 in trade, the new permanent writer headlines the trade collection.