Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Bah, I just wrote that without thinking, forget about it now.

Anyhow, I'm guessing now its Batwing instead. No one would suspect a thing and its extremely far out of left field!!
    Meh, the title isn't the same without Winick anyway.

I think Nicieza is on that book, isn't he? They did an interview with him as the regular writer, I thought. Maybe not.

Anyway, we'll wait and see. Like I said, the only book I could MAYBE see him being appropriate for is Hawkman, and even there I'm quite sure it will be mediocre. Batwing strikes me as marked for death, but I stopped reading it after the first couple of issues, so no harm done there for me either.

Of all the books being discussed the only one I'd actually be upset about is Swamp Thing. The rest of them are only going to go up or stay the same in quality (or if they decrease, it will be marginal). The loss of Snyder of Swamp Thing for Starlin would be a blow to the company as a whole, and the Dark line as a little indie comics haven.

Which is why I'm hoping the "Image" rumor is true, and that it is Ales Kot, who has mentioned that he had something secret to work on.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How much is hate and how much may be questions of if he can still write good stuff?

I remember work he did for Marvel back when I was a kid in the early 1970's . . . that was forty years ago.
    Will he still be fresh and interesting in an industry that has changed so radically since those days?
    At least in the present form, it seems like mindless hate. Is there a need to be so rude about it? (not talking about you :) )

Batman-wise, to me Starlin will always be the guy nearly singly responsible for the character assassination of Jason Todd, just to arbitrarily sync with a passing glance in Frank Miller's overrated work. Max Collins changed Jason from a little red-headed Grayson duplicate to the street urchin, and then Starlin instead of building the poor kid up, went crazy with the whole "Bad Robin" angle. So it is what it is - it's history at this point and it's moot. I mean, if Jason Todd was a foot-note (IE; hadn't come back) there'd be nothing to complain about. It's a perfect Catch-22 of hypocritical comic nit-picking for me - no Starlin means no Bad Jason, no Death in the Family, no Tim Drake, and on and on and on until "no Jason as Red Hood".

But before I digress into some weird continuity loop where I reiterate that same point another way, my point is this; in spite of how in 20/20 hindsight I don't like how glaringly obvious his character assassination of Jason Todd was ... his Batman work was actually quite the kind of Batman stories that I like to read. Still steeped in that vibe that lasted all the way from "New Look Batman" to the period around Knightfall. (Aparo-era art and O'Neil editorial). And I mean, how much can you hate the guy who gave us Batman: The Cult.

So the question is, if not a Bat, Super or Cosmic title, then what?

I'll hazard a guess or two.

A Post-Milligan title. I don't know Pete Milligan's mind, but a post-Hellblazer, fall of Vertigo world? Milligan got me back into StormWatch but it's not exactly magnum opus material, and Red Lanterns is neat but never really needed be a full title in the first place, they're supporting characters. I could see Starlin on either. Yes, Red Lanterns is a bit cosmic and yes, Starlin has done Green Lantern a couple times before, but it's different enough. But StormWatch would be really different. So that's a guess. (I don't care one way or another about Lanterns, but I do hope to see Milligan stay on StormWatch and get a really great artist to go with him.)

DC Universe Presents. This one seems obvious, it's a great place for old-guard creators to tell some stories, we've been seeing a lot of old DC faces turn up there and put out cool anthology shorts. It could be just about anything in DCUP.

Looking at the solicits and what unstable titles have already gotten new writers who'll need a month or two to test the waters, I'm going to say that it's a toss-up for me - either Swamp Thing, which fits the bill but somehow I just don't quite see - or, and this is where I get all speculative - Batwoman.

(There's been talk for a while that Williams will be wrapped with Batwoman after his post-Medusa epilogue issue. Trevor McCarthy is no J.H. Williams (who is?) but he's a fine artist with a great style and it'd be nice to see him stay on-board. A Jewish, Lesbian, Bat-Woman would qualify as "new and different" for Starlin. Starlin/McCarthy Batwoman?)
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

i'm guessing superboy or animal man...

It doesn't matter to me what book he might be put on but if it's a book I'm reading I'll be dropping it. After the character assassination of Jason Todd back in the day and his involvement with the 1-900 gimmick that got "Robin" killed I've grown sour on the guy. Yes, he wrote Batman: The Cult and all but if he was responsible for the assassination of one character what's to stop him from doing so to another.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff-Said! View Post
    Just watched my fav online comic show

Anyway they said Starlin is back.... My mate said that it would probably be Swamp Thing as Scott Snyder has to much on his plate

Thoughts?

Are they giving out prizes for mentioning this webshow on other websites? You mention them all the time. Or are you on the show?

Anyway, there's already a thread about this:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-Series-For-DC
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    . . . Of all the books being discussed the only one I'd actually be upset about is Swamp Thing. The rest of them are only going to go up or stay the same in quality (or if they decrease, it will be marginal). The loss of Snyder of Swamp Thing for Starlin would be a blow to the company as a whole, and the Dark line as a little indie comics haven.
    Well, it's already been said Snyder is leaving Swamp Thing (maybe that little Superman book would be too much on Snyder's plate to continue serving up helpings of Swamp Thing?), but I can't remember if it's been said who is taking over that title.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I think most of us who were following this knew Snyder was leaving, and have known for a while -- certainly I've been pretty sure he was leaving for a couple of months now.

They haven't announced his replacement, and it is possible that it is Starlin. An 'image' guy works since I think Image is publishing Starlin's Breed.

And thus would I be majorly bummed.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Someone mentioned Superboy -- I wouldn't mind that, really. Granted, it's another 'old guy on young character', but Superboy's journey as I see it is similar to Adam Warlock's journey.