Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Geardaddy View Post
    For this reason alone, I will be giving the book a chance.
    Very true his JSA run was amazing, I find there is way more things that sway me towards buying it than things that don't.

I am a big fan of Geoff Johns' writing. He is my favorite writer at DC right now. I'm not going to say his writing is particularly deep, challenging, complex, what-have-you...but I find it extremely satisfying and presented well to the reader. I think his comics are really fun to read, and since "having fun" is a major aspect of entertainment, I love Geoff Johns' work.

So with that said, I am obviously anticipating this series. Johns has described it as a mix of JSA and Suicide Squad, which sounds great -- strong character dynamics, lots of tension and intrigue. I think the team roster is very interesting, which each character seemingly having some kind of motive or secrets to deal with. I really like how Johns has written Steve Trevor over in Justice League, I'm interested to see how a terrorist like Baz evolves into America's Green Lantern representative, I'm a Catwoman fan, I'm looking forward to the introduction of Stargirl, and I expect Johns to make some major strides in salvaging Green Arrow and Hawkman. Johns always goes out of his way with characters perceived as "lame," so I also expect him to do wonders on Vibe. The recent backup with Trevor and Arrow seemed to foreshadow a Secret Society of Supervillains type group, and with Cheetah and Black Manta already established as prisoners, I'm looking forward to a classic villain team in the making.

David Finch is kind of a wild card. I think his visual sense is right for this book: the initial promo image with the team standing in front of the flag was perfect, the right amount of gritty and iconic. But Finch still struggles with storytelling, facial expressions, body language, and all that jazz, and his work is often too dark. His work on team books is quite lacking IMO, as in a team environment, aforementioned stuff like body language and facial expressions are key in conversation scenes to visually establish characterization. I hope Finch can strike the right balance between the book looking cool, but presenting some satisfying storytelling.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I am a big fan of Geoff Johns' writing. He is my favorite writer at DC right now. I'm not going to say his writing is particularly deep, challenging, complex, what-have-you...but I find it extremely satisfying and presented well to the reader. I think his comics are really fun to read, and since "having fun" is a major aspect of entertainment, I love Geoff Johns' work.

So with that said, I am obviously anticipating this series. Johns has described it as a mix of JSA and Suicide Squad, which sounds great -- strong character dynamics, lots of tension and intrigue. I think the team roster is very interesting, which each character seemingly having some kind of motive or secrets to deal with. I really like how Johns has written Steve Trevor over in Justice League, I'm interested to see how a terrorist like Baz evolves into America's Green Lantern representative, I'm a Catwoman fan, I'm looking forward to the introduction of Stargirl, and I expect Johns to make some major strides in salvaging Green Arrow and Hawkman. Johns always goes out of his way with characters perceived as "lame," so I also expect him to do wonders on Vibe. The recent backup with Trevor and Arrow seemed to foreshadow a Secret Society of Supervillains type group, and with Cheetah and Black Manta already established as prisoners, I'm looking forward to a classic villain team in the making.

David Finch is kind of a wild card. I think his visual sense is right for this book: the initial promo image with the team standing in front of the flag was perfect, the right amount of gritty and iconic. But Finch still struggles with storytelling, facial expressions, body language, and all that jazz, and his work is often too dark. His work on team books is quite lacking IMO, as in a team environment, aforementioned stuff like body language and facial expressions are key in conversation scenes to visually establish characterization. I hope Finch can strike the right balance between the book looking cool, but presenting some satisfying storytelling.
    Yup, agreed for the johns writting style, he makes it fun and entertaining this is why many writters
    , like morrison and even fraction, who often take their work a little to serious and are almost pretentious, are hit and miss for me. But Johns does none of that and in the end if you can have a mix of story and entertainment thats the best. As for the Finch art, What they have shown us looks great, love the martian manhunter, but as fpr consitency in the story I agree with you, but hopefully he can pull it off...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post

That's exactly the problem. Johns writes to satisfy the nerd's 'fan fiction' needs. That's why he spent the first decade of his career just resurrecting dead people that the stories really didn't need anymore.

As a reader, I don't really have those needs. I like to be beaten up, challenged, and abused by fiction. I don't need to be gently masturbated through a 12 issue mini-series.

That is why I do not enjoy Johns anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    That's exactly the problem. Johns writes to satisfy the nerd's 'fan fiction' needs. That's why he spent the first decade of his career just resurrecting dead people that the stories really didn't need anymore.

As a reader, I don't really have those needs. I like to be beaten up, challenged, and abused by fiction. I don't need to be gently masturbated through a 12 issue mini-series.

Different strokes for different folks, While I enjoy when a women touching me, I don't enjoy getting beat up or abused in fiction or real life.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post

Different strokes for different folks, While I enjoy when a women touching me, I don't enjoy getting beat up or abused in fiction or real life.

BANNED

Will give this book a chance. I've been very on the fence, but with my hopes that this will be Johns's return to JSA style writing (which I enjoy), some of the characters I like, and the Matt Kindt back-up, I'll give it a shot.

I've been disappointed with Johns's JL, so this better be...better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Will give this book a chance. I've been very on the fence, but with my hopes that this will be Johns's return to JSA style writing (which I enjoy), some of the characters I like, and the Matt Kindt back-up, I'll give it a shot.

I've been disappointed with Johns's JL, so this better be...better.
    Yup I found the first story arc of the new JL ok, but for me it's been downhill, I find there trying to make them seem to much like new as a team, like there always bitching all this crap, thats why I like Earth 2 a little more at this point. And yeah if he says hes returning to the JSA writting style, wich is great, we might have a good one here!

I'm getting it mostly for the team. I like the sort of oddball teams and I've always loved Hawkman and Green Arrow. Simon Baz should be pretty interesting too.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Kind of wish that Firestorm was included in the JLA setup. Would have been a nice shout out to old continuity with Firestorm in the League. Plus, kind of wanted someone to salvage Firestorm which had such a good premise only to fall apart due to execution and changing writers.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    Kind of wish that Firestorm was included in the JLA setup. Would have been a nice shout out to old continuity with Firestorm in the League. Plus, kind of wanted someone to salvage Firestorm which had such a good premise only to fall apart due to execution and changing writers.
    I had hoped for Firestorm and Captain Atom, giving this league a bit more power to make sure that it is equal to the current Justice League in terms of power. (Okay, J'Onn did beat up the current Justice League but I am not sure if anyone else besides Simon Baz qualifies as a heavy hitter as I am not too familiar with some of the other characters.)

I hope that the Martian Manhunter back up feature tells us more about his history and gives him a "Martian Manhunter family." There are enough characters in J'Onn's past, as well as new ones in the DCnU, that would work well as supporting characters in his stories.

Definitely would've been a great addition to the team. They are doing everything to save Green Arrow and Hawkman is still hanging around, so why not help Firestorm? Thought Johns loved him too....

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I can't wait for this book! I feel like it'll be 10x better than his current Justice League book. This one just feels like more of something he should be writing.

True, true same as a couple other characters in the DCnU this series really could have helped salvage a couple pf them!

Then again we are seeing a couple characters who we really have not seena lot of so I guess it levels itself out!