Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommended Arcs?

So...I've been looking into older (read: Post-Crisis on Infinite Earth) Wonder Woman comics. More specifically, I've been buying digital issues on Comixology. So far, I got...
    -Issues #1-24, from the Perez run. I'd have kept going, but there's a big gap afterwards on Comixology, so the next I got was...
    -Issues #72-75, picking up after Diana apparently returns from some space adventure or something.
    -Issues #77-80, since #76 got skipped for reasons unknown to me.
    -Issues #82-85, due to another skip, which apparently glossed over a fairly significant event for some reason.
    Loved the Perez run. The later issues are still fun, albeit a bit, er, nineties. So I'm wondering...are there specific arcs and stories people would recommend?

I recommend the current Wonder Woman comics since there is a lot of discussion of it on the forums. I also recommend the early Marston comics because they are very interesting stories and the comics have some nice art and frequent scenes of Wonder Woman and the Amazons getting tied up.

Quote Originally Posted by tunneler View Post
    I recommend the current Wonder Woman comics since there is a lot of discussion of it on the forums. I also recommend the early Marston comics because they are very interesting stories and the comics have some nice art and frequent scenes of Wonder Woman and the Amazons getting tied up.
    I...can't really say the bondage thing appeals to me. I guess I'm more interested in Diana the way I'm interested in Clark Kent or Steve Rogers - as a moral pillar who can inspire those around her.

Greg Rucka's run (#195-226); the current run.
    I think some few issues just before Crisis on Infinite Earths seems to be good, too. I never read them.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Quote Originally Posted by sun tzu View Post
    I...can't really say the bondage thing appeals to me. I guess I'm more interested in Diana the way I'm interested in Clark Kent or Steve Rogers - as a moral pillar who can inspire those around her.
    Then you should read the Marston issues. This was the period in which she was her most inspirational. Try All-Star #8 and Sensation #1, which are free on Comixology. People make a lot about the bondage stuff but it's not like she was a dominatrix or anything. You'd have to be a bondage freak to get the bondage vibe from those stories. Like a shoe catalogue for a foot fetishist. The rest of us just see a catalogue.

As for the rest of Post-Crisis, I'd also suggest the Rucka run, which unfortunately skips over the first arc in digital, as well as the current run. Byrne is also available but his run was pretty subpar. And if you really want some 90s stories you should definitely finish out the Messner-Loebs run, which gets uber-90s at #90, with Deodato as the regular penciller.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    I think some few issues just before Crisis on Infinite Earths seems to be good, too. I never read them.
    Apparently there isn't much on ComiXology pre-crisis (and post 60's). I know Rucka's run DEFINITELY is on there. As well as Simone's. I'm waiting for them to load WW 200-250 on there. Right now I have 230 from Comixology (with the Cheetah) but I want more from that era. I'm afraid for my wallet once they do.

The current run is really great.

Bondage games and the unfairness of forced bondage, both of the tying up kind and simply control, is a big part of a lot of early Wonder Woman stories, but having fun being tied up doesn't make her, or anyone else, less than a moral pillar of their community, anymore than enjoying poker or basketball would.

Early Wonder Woman's quite inspirational and heroic, but she's got a sense of humor, a drive to win, and some class, too.

I liked the Perez years and would recommend finishing those out if you can, but not at great lengths or anything.

The Greg Rucka stuff is great, especially Hiketaia. Jodi Picoult starts a good run, though not to every fan's taste, but it ends abrupty due to forced crossover and Picoult, as I understand it, quitting the title. Phil Jimenez did what's probably my favorite turn on her post-Crisis ongoing. Those were some cool as hell comics.

As for making appearances in ensemble comics, I think she shows good in both Waid and Morrison's JLA runs, and she's stilted and a bit off in Infinite Crisis, but at least she's interesting. For all the criticism, her enslavement in Final Crisis and eventual freedom and rescue of the world's population is pretty amazing stuff. Chris Claremont's Whom The Gods Destroy is an Elseworlds comic of sheer glorious madness and thrust that I imagine Claremont wrote laughing his butt off and the artist drew periodically stopping to fistpump and shout encouragements to fictional characters. It's not a traditional Wonder Woman (or traditional Superman, or anyone), but it's worth reading.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone - I'll see what Comixology has.

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Bondage games and the unfairness of forced bondage, both of the tying up kind and simply control, is a big part of a lot of early Wonder Woman stories, but having fun being tied up doesn't make her, or anyone else, less than a moral pillar of their community, anymore than enjoying poker or basketball would.
    I'm not saying the bondage thing is bad, I'm just saying it doesn't appeal to me. ;)

Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar

Check out 90s Wonder Woman.
    I know the Power of the Dark Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    I just finished reading Rucka's WW run today and was def impressed. Actually it was a perfect bookend to what Perez had started in the 80's. I loved the graphic novel, Hiketia, which Rucka also wrote.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

The Twelve Labors, v. 1 212-222, have been collected by DC in a phonebook. This is Pre-Crisis stuff that is surrealistic and inventive, from just after the time Wonder Woman was repowered after the mod I Ching era.

I'm also fond of the Space Pyrates arc, v.2 #66-71. Messner-Loebs does a great job of updating the Marston approach here.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Check out Games of the Gods by Walter Simonson. It is right before Rucka's excellent run. Phil Jimenez's run is also great

For Pre-Crisis, I adore Judgment in Infinity (291-293) and the Aegeus conflict (297-299)
    Last edited by Stanlos; 02-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I also understand that DC is going to come out with a hardbound edition of the DC comics work of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, and that the Superman vs Wonder Woman Collector's Edition tabloid written by Gerry Conway will be reprinted in it. This is also an excellent Pre-Crisis story.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.