Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Telltale Games' "Walking Dead" Named Spike TV's Game of the Year

Telltale Games' adaptation of Robert Kirkman's Image Comics title scored big at the annual Spike Video Game awards, taking home Game of the Year honors, Studio of the Year and more.

Full article here.

Bold choice...what's awesome is seeing the foaming at the mouth reaction to itfrom the masses
    Support your local roller derby league

I think it was well-deserved. It may have not had much real 'gameplay' but it was one of the better games I've played in a while, much less this year.

I personaly would never pick an adventure game as the best game, maybe best story.

I dunno, best story defenitly, best supporting characters hands down, game of the year... not quite. Hell I wouldn't even call it a game, I would call it more of a interactive TV series. An amazingly great interactive TV series, but not a game, lets just hope that Fables is 10 times better

It's the nature of the genre, they aren't gameplay based games, they are story based. Theres nothing wrong with that, Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games ever, but that is based on the look of the game and the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I personaly would never pick an adventure game as the best game, maybe best story.
    Sometimes that's going to happen. A little change of pace never hurts as long as it is
    deserving and not done just because it was forced or trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I would pick whatever entertained me the most. An adventure game is ultimately a game.

I wouldn't call it a game personally. A kind of interactive story maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by sHayden View Post
    Sometimes that's going to happen. A little change of pace never hurts as long as it is
    deserving
    and not done just because it was forced or trendy.
    agreed

and from what Ive heard it is deserving....the way some folks reacted, youd swear it was the end times
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I would pick whatever entertained me the most. An adventure game is ultimately a game.
    Well, if they picked it on that fair enough.
    It didn't entertain me most this year, but i didn't think it was bad.
    It's just...yknow, been playing adventure games when i was a kid, i'm not seeing anything new in it.

I can't say anything about the game specifically; I haven't played it.

However, adventure games really are games. People might call stuff like Hotel Dusk an "interactive novel," but it's not a novel. It's a game. I was always aware of that as I was playing Hotel Dusk - the key word being "playing" here. And I would rank Hotel Dusk in the top 10 DS games of all time.

I've been playing adventure games since I was a kid as well and I felt Walking Dead revitalized the genre, which has been bordering on dead for near a decade now, aside from some really fun portable games (Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton). Most other Game of the Year options were fun but I didn't feel they brought in enough new and interesting content to compare. Let alone that the Walking Dead came in much cheaper than them.

Quote Originally Posted by bkong0 View Post
    I've been playing adventure games since I was a kid as well and I felt Walking Dead revitalized the genre, which has been bordering on dead for near a decade now, aside from some really fun portable games (Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton). Most other Game of the Year options were fun but I didn't feel they brought in enough new and interesting content to compare. Let alone that the Walking Dead came in much cheaper than them.
    It didn't though, Telltale brought the genre back with Sam and Max and Tales of Monkey Island, and debatebly Heavy Rain.

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

great gripping story, great cast that defies standard white male leads. game is just awesome all around. it deserved the accolades it got. i would argue it's better than the show and came close to exceeding the damn source material.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton