Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Or as by far the weakest, least intelligent member of the Batclan...
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    As Batgirl, yes.
    Bullsh*t. She's the Batgirl people know, the most popular version. Just because she was created in the '60s doesn't mean the interest in her is "nostalgic". She's simply a character who has lasted for DECADES. Wonder Woman's been around longer than Batgirl -- do only nostalgic people like her? Batgirl haters really do take the cake.
    "If God is the answer, the wrong question has been asked."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Or as by far the weakest, least intelligent member of the Batclan...
    Do you have anything constructive or positive to add? Or just here to tick people off? If so, I recommend you find a more productive way to spend your time on this planet. We get that you don't like her -- som PLEASE give it a rest. Geeez.
    "If God is the answer, the wrong question has been asked."

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

U guys wouldn't be nostalgic for Oracle or Steph now would ya?

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    Bullsh*t. She's the Batgirl people know, the most popular version. Just because she was created in the '60s doesn't mean the interest in her is "nostalgic". She's simply a character who has lasted for DECADES. Wonder Woman's been around longer than Batgirl -- do only nostalgic people like her? Batgirl haters really do take the cake.
    Barbara Gordon stopped being Batgirl in the comics when I was 3 years old (she retired in the Batgirl Special in 1988). Oracle first appeared in the comics in 1989 and continued to appear right through to 2011. That's the character I know - that's the character I literally grew up with. That's who the character has been for the past 22 years. Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is Silver/Bronze Age nostalgia. Barbara Gordon as Oracle is what people of my generation grew up with.
    ಠ_ಠ

So you are nostalgic for Oracle. Hmm...

Btw i grew up with Oracle too, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Babs as she is now.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Barbara Gordon stopped being Batgirl in the comics when I was 3 years old (she retired in the Batgirl Special in 1988). Oracle first appeared in the comics in 1989 and continued to appear right through to 2011. That's the character I know - that's the character I literally grew up with. That's who the character has been for the past 22 years. Barbara Gordon as Batgirl is Silver/Bronze Age nostalgia. Barbara Gordon as Oracle is what people of my generation grew up with.
    While that's true of the comics, Batman the Animated Series featured Barbara as did The Batman, outside the comics it was pretty much only Barbara being featured as Batgirl and since back then DC didn't really have much concern with merchandise and other media syncing up with the comics Oracle never got much exposure outside the comics....okay there was the short lived Birds of Prey TV show but it wasn't around long enough to make an impact. Had it been a better show and had ratings like Smallville and Arrow does now then maybe Oracle vanishing would have been a bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    She took a few decades off so I mainly knew Babs as Oracle. If she'd Batgirl for that whole time, I think that you'd have a better argument. I have the same feelings about bringing back Barry Allen or Hal Jordan (who I was reading - kinda - for a few years and found to be pretty boring).

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Depending on your definition of nostalgia I'll admit to being slightly nostalgic for Oracle. She was never one of my favourite characters but I did appreciate her and what she represented. But I think in my case the nostalgia comes from not enjoying nuBabs rather than vice versa. I won't admit to being nostalgic for Stephanie Brown since I never even gave her a chance until about 5 months ago when I started picking up old Robin and Batgirl comics because of my dissatisfaction with the current Teen Titans and Batgirl, so I'm not exactly 'remembering' a supposedly better time when it comes to her. In that case as well disliking the current comics preceded prefering the other character.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentor View Post
    While that's true of the comics, Batman the Animated Series featured Barbara as did The Batman, outside the comics it was pretty much only Barbara being featured as Batgirl and since back then DC didn't really have much concern with merchandise and other media syncing up with the comics Oracle never got much exposure outside the comics....okay there was the short lived Birds of Prey TV show but it wasn't around long enough to make an impact. Had it been a better show and had ratings like Smallville and Arrow does now then maybe Oracle vanishing would have been a bigger deal.
    She wasn't in that many episodes of BTAS. IMDB says it was just 6. There's still The Batman which gave her 22 appearances, but hardly crushing BOP's 13 episodes.

BANNED

My first exposure to Barbara was in TAS when she was Batgirl. If anything, I have more nostalgia for her as Batgirl. But Oracle won me over with good writing (books like Morrison's JLA, Dixon/Simone Birds of Prey, etc) and the current Batgirl has failed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentor View Post
    She was in like 6 episodes of B:TAS. Even Renee Montoya was in more. The Batman and Robin movie had a Batgirl... but it wasn't Barbara Gordon. Birds of Prey was shortlived, and cancelled for good reason, but the strongest part about it was Dina Meyer as Oracle. Smallville had Chloe Sullivan as a clear Oracle analogue. Meanwhile Arkham Asylum and Arkham City use Barbara as Oracle, complete with full bio, and those games were played by millions more people than are reading the current comics. Not to mention DC Universe Online featuring Oracle as the guide for every Hero player.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13
    So you are just nostalgic for Oracle. Hmm...
    It's hardly nostalgia when its still current. The trades for the pre-flashpoint books didn't hit the shelves that long ago. Hell, Arkham City was released after the new52 and was only re-released on the Wii-U a few weeks ago. DCUO is still going reasonably well too.
    ಠ_ಠ

Making Mischief The Great Grape's Avatar

The BOP tv series hasn't been particulary impactful. It didn't last and hasn't been replayed extensively. Honestly the original 60's tv series (& BTAS ftm) are much more culturally relevant and far more frequently seen.

And while I personally don't consider it a central matter here, the BOP tv series was pretty awful.

It's hardly nostalgia when its still current. The trades for the pre-flashpoint books didn't hit the shelves that long ago. Hell, Arkham City was released after the new52 and was only re-released on the Wii-U a few weeks ago. DCUO is still going reasonably well too.
    LoL, oh i see. So its not nostalgia because there are past issues, and outside media appearances, but liking Babs as Batgirl is nostalgia, despite being, well, current. Good to know.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-12-2012 at 03:03 PM.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    Oh really. So Chuck Dixon, Mark Waid, Dwayne McDuffie, Chris Roberson, and J. Michael Straczynski are all women. I don't think DC is that discriminating on who they dismiss from a book.
    That's right, they still have Ann Nocenti and 50 books written by men.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/