Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

Well, I doubt Miller would respond.

There has never been a reason for Steph fans to hate her. She has been one of the more visible proponents of bringing Steph back. I knew that just by being on CBR or by seeing one of the many pro-Steph blogs. I find it astounding that people much more active on tumbler/twitter than I have ever been, which kind of by default makes them more profficient with the internet than me, and who think of themselves as Steph fans don't know that.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Making Mischief The Great Grape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Well, I doubt Miller would respond.
    Is there any indication he is mad at her?

There has never been a reason for Steph fans to hate her. She has been one of the more visible proponents of bringing Steph back. I knew that just by being on CBR or by seeing one of the many pro-Steph blogs. I find it astounding that people much more active on tumbler/twitter than I have ever been, which kind of by default makes them more profficient with the internet than me, and who think of themselves as Steph fans don't know that.
    Which makes the personal type heat which has sometimes gone down at tumblr (or wherever as the case applies) even harder to understand. See Knightfall for an example.

When outside people see things like that, it can reflect on the perception of a fanbase at large.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

The reason she says that is because Steph fans often blamed, and still even blame her and the book for Steph no longer being around. Her page is on public display, there is nothing unprofessional about restating that she had nothing to do with that decision, even if that particular poster wasn't accusing her of it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Perhaps DC is prepared to take a slight dip in sales for a couple of months, although maybe less than some people anticipate as a lot of readers will want to see the end of this arc and the then in the possible post "Death of the Family" slump in sales, will bring back Gail Simone for a sales boost as people may think they caused DC to change their minds about it. Of course I could be giving them more credit for manipulation than they might have, but it does seem to have caused quite an uproar the way the news came out when it could have been handled better than the way it appears to have been done.
    Last edited by Bluebow; 12-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.

BANNED

I'm reading all of this stuff about "critical sucess" on this book and my question is: where? I've seen no one say a good thing about this. Most people I see talking about it was to say how dissapointed they were.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrightnow View Post
    What do you do when you have the #1 female-led DC book and the #4 DC comic overall? Fire the writer, of course. Its difficult to understand DC's reasoning there ...
    Yeah, 13 jumped back up to sales of 70k. That's VERY strong. Like massive for today's market.

I honestly think it was a conflict of personality, I could tell Gail was not "feeling it" for a long time now, or having some sort of problems with either editorial or elsewhere, you can just tell, and her work on Batgirl I think reflected that. Not her best work.

I think editorial demanded she kill someone off or not allow her to do a certain thing as she wanted and she refused to do so. Judging by her "funny you should mention that" response to "not stuffing people into a refrigerator" comment on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    I'm reading all of this stuff about "critical sucess" on this book and my question is: where? I've seen no one say a good thing about this. Most people I see talking about it was to say how dissapointed they were.
    It's selling a ton, 13 sold 70 k due to the crossover (?). Babs is very popular across generation gaps, I'd reckon a lot of people who are 30-50's are buying this book due to the 60s tv show, and then maybe 20 somethings who grew up with BTAS.

Just today someone wrote on Gail's tumblr :

So you're just ignoring people who offer you support?
    People actually wonder why a creator may get a little dizzy or worn out sometimes? She was nice about it but that statement practically begs for a "Are you familiar with these things called next page and scroll function?"

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Which month are you talking about?
    In November it was Batgirl (http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=129003), but is that just a temporary thing with the Joker involved?
    In September and October, it was more like 15th best selling of the New 52 titles (http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=126474; http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=127858).

(Still, 15th ain't all that bad, either.)
    The November figures also have the October issue, Batgirl #13, at #109 with 21,035 reorders.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24568.html
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

Can you post a link to Simone saying that? ... I also can't find anything of the sort through searches, only anonymous people saying so.
    I don't have a link, but I specifically recall her saying so and I believe it was on this forum. She posted here a lot when the new title first came out but eventually stopped (I suspect because so many people here were so vicious and unrelenting in their attacks).

I've lost some respect for her. It isn't her place to talk about that, and to bring it up when there is no need is unprofessional and way too defensive for someone who had nothing to do with it. She's handled being fired with much more class than she did the removal of a character she had no say in.
    I totally and strongly disagree. She has never done anything other than give highest praise to Bryan Miller and the Stephanie/Batgirl title. All she did was respond to the frequent complaint that the new Batgirl title was responsible for the cancellation of the preceding Batgirl title with the facts: it was going to be cancelled anyway. The remark was in no way mean-spirited; it was simply intended to correct a common misunderstanding of the facts. How in the world that can be construed as "unprofessional" is beyond me.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I've lost some respect for her. It isn't her place to talk about that, and to bring it up when there is no need is unprofessional and way too defensive for someone who had nothing to do with it. She's handled being fired with much more class than she did the removal of a character she had no say in.
    When DC did the relaunch, a lot of people said that Stephanie was cancelled to make way for Babs's book, some implying it was Simone's fault, some more than implying. It's pretty much become the context of the discussion of Stephanie's Batgirl run and subsequent absence. Obviously, some people remained unaware of it all, but there it is.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Are you honestly comparing a bunch of obsessed crackpots on an internet message board to what real people think? Read some reviews here and other places. A ton of people have written how the book is doing so well and has carved out its own place in DC.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Are you honestly comparing a bunch of obsessed crackpots on an internet message board to what real people think? Read some reviews here and other places. A ton of people have written how the book is doing so well and has carved out its own place in DC.
    Batgirl was an OKay book but its wasn't as Good as Supergirl, Wonder Women or Aquaman in carving out its Niche in the universe at large.

Anyway, this situation has me leaning toward dropping this from my pull list. It's been my favorite book too, which makes me sad to contemplate. Not only was it handled with appalling callousness by the new editor, but it means we will not be seeing the recovery story toward which this has been building. Since it is already written and the editor doesn't want to use it, whatever we get will be different that the story this has been setting up. We were also given a hint that Babs will be upping her hacking skills to oppose Knightfall, but who knows if and how that will be handled too. I greatly enjoy the character, but how can I support such boneheaded editorial officiousness?
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    Batgirl was an OKay book but its wasn't as Good as Supergirl, Wonder Women or Aquaman in carving out its Niche in the universe at large.
    Not buying that whatsover.