Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Hey, it could be a lot worse than Lobdell.

It could be Judd Winick, which in itself wouldn't be terrible, but if he starts talking about how sexy he'll make the comic and character....
    Just curious, why is it that sexy is automatically discouraged? Or if that word is used as one of the parts of that character, people get worried. Batgirl is obviously a sexy character, so it wouldn't seem odd to me. Though I get you're probably saying this in response to his Catwoman run, where naturally I think he knows Catwoman and Batgirl would be portrayed quite differently.

But, say Babs does find a suitor, ha, and it leads to some sexiness and her expressing her sexy side at times, why is this bad? Does everyone have to be an unhappy all the time martyr to be a "strong" protagonist?

Just sayin', sexuality is one of the more strangely taboo topics to me, especially in the context of DC comics apparently. I feel like we'll be hearing about the one time Catwoman had sex for years, ha, just imagine the furor if she has sex twice.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-10-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    You guys do realize that both Daniels and Finch were kicked off Tec and TDK even though both titles were consistently in the top 10, right? That fanboys gave them nonstop withering criticism and ridicule which lead to DC pulling them off despite their books selling like hotcakes (what is tec#1 on, its seventh prrinting?), replacing them with writers who fanboys salad toss, and now both books aren't doing as well. So, like, what is with the shock and awe? It's been done before. And frankly, I though Batgirl was written just as poorly as Finch's TDK without the saving grace of pretty artwork.
    But didn't Daniel and Finch have other work they were moving over to at DC?
    We hadn't heard of anything else on the table for Gail, though it seems like there may be possibilities according to later postings.

Also, Daniel and Finch had books starring Batman, which are tougher to run into the ground . . . Gail was having quite a bit of success with a related Bat character. (Were any other books in the extended Batman line that didn't feature Bruce every month doing as well as Batgirl?)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    As both an employer and employee, i prefer private, personal, written communication. And that's what an email is. You say it's impersonal, i say bollocks.
    Fair enough, I'll happily be proven wrong. If you're willing to stand behind that opinion, perhaps you might put together a draft layoff email (or if you've actually done it before, maybe use that as the template, obviously removing the name and identifying information) and share it here. One that's every bit as personal and respectful as a face-to-face meeting or phone call would be. I'll cautiously believe you if you say it can be done, but I would like to see some evidence of it.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

Why doesn't "the dominoed daredoll" wear a domino mask?

And that's not even starting on describing one of DCs most prominent female characters as "a doll" - what, is she too girly to count as a "daredevil"?
    Well, it was kinda cute in the '60s, presumably. These days it could be fun again in sort of a kitsch/retro way, if the current book were lighthearted. From what I've heard, it isn't; but then again, I don't think they really use that nickname anymore either. It just doesn't really fit the tone of someone who's always fighting serial killers and torturers.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

By the way, someone in the more general DC Comics Forum started a thread asking what people would like to see Gail do next (if anybody is interested): http://forums.comicbookresources.com...ne-What-s-next
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Why doesn't "the dominoed daredoll" wear a domino mask?
    This has been updated and brought back from the 1960's into current comic continuity. How quickly people have forgotten Batgirl #0 and the debut of the Dominoed Daredoll better known as Batgirl:

To which the Joker referenced this still intact nickname in the now New 52 history in Batgirl #14:

The nickname may have started in the late 60's, but Gail Simone has brought it into the present.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Upcoming titles:
    Storm

So is Benes off the Barbara Gordon the Dominoed Daredoll better known as Batgirl book too?

Making Mischief The Great Grape's Avatar

This is just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel Comics having a hero called Daredevil would exclude any possible thought back then of using that handle.

You Can't Dye My Hair GoldStarz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    So is Benes off the Barbara Gordon the Dominoed Daredoll better known as Batgirl book too?
    Looks that way since we have 'guest' artists, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    You guys do realize that both Daniels and Finch were kicked off Tec and TDK even though both titles were consistently in the top 10, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But didn't Daniel and Finch have other work they were moving over to at DC?
    Yes, they did. For that matter, I don't think anyone has ever said they were "kicked off" those titles. Both seemed to be happy to be moving on to other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Rhoades View Post
    Just tweeted by Gail.

GailSimone ‏@GailSimone

Have also have heard from the higher ups at DC and they have been very kind and have made it clear that things went awry and want...

GailSimone ‏@GailSimone

...other projects from me. So it is going to be a very different year, but things are going to work out, I am convinced. New challenges.
    Good news! Hopefully the "higher ups" will kick this "new editor" in the butt!
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    One will notice though that these kind higher ups at DC did not offer apparently to reverse this new editors decision and let Ms. Simone continue on the Batgirl title.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Upcoming titles:
    Storm

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    One will notice though that these kind higher ups at DC did not offer apparently to reverse this new editors decision and let Ms. Simone continue on the Batgirl title.
    In all fairness, that could have been difficult. They pretty much either had to fire the editor or live with his decision.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Yes, they did. For that matter, I don't think anyone has ever said they were "kicked off" those titles. Both seemed to be happy to be moving on to other projects.

We can only hope. No matter where you stand on the issue of Batgirl/Oracle or the book itself, this was a crap move by editorial. Creators should not have to fear this kind of treatment. Gail has been very classy about the whole ordeal, from letting her fans know from her and defending Snyder over twitter, she has kept her cool very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Rhoades View Post
    she has kept her cool very nicely.
    And it seems to have served her well.
    Jim Zimmerman

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'd still like to know what the reasoning behind taking Simone off the book is? Batgirl under her pen has been one of the most successful titles of the nu52 relaunch and has been pretty well received as of lately.