Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Kind of agreed in that I hope someone does upgrade her computer skills, but so far she hasn't demonstrated anything like that, which is the main reason why some of us feel she's been demoted; theoretically, Babs should be one of the top players in the Bat-family, but her "street level" skills and techs leaves her behind all former Robins and she got beat by Batwoman in their five minute fight. Preferably, Babs should be able to call on her own ingenuity and resources to field a threat level on par with Dick Grayson, and instead she's going to the library to use Google.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

You guys do realize that both Daniels and Finch were kicked off Tec and TDK even though both titles were consistently in the top 10, right? That fanboys gave them nonstop withering criticism and ridicule which lead to DC pulling them off despite their books selling like hotcakes (what is tec#1 on, its seventh prrinting?), replacing them with writers who fanboys salad toss, and now both books aren't doing as well. So, like, what is with the shock and awe? It's been done before. And frankly, I though Batgirl was written just as poorly as Finch's TDK without the saving grace of pretty artwork.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but saying "why is that so hard to get" is odd, not everybody will look at it the same way. Nothing to do with not getting it.

Me, I don't see Barbera as having lost anything. She's still who she is, she's as smart as ever, she has her photographic memory, she can still do anything Oracle did. Only instead of then giving this information to another hero, she can then follow up on that information herself for the action part as well. This new Batgirl run has her facing her vulnerabilities and getting back in the game. It's up to the writers, in the future she could easily be portrayed better than ever. Babs as Oracle just doesn't have anything that Batgirl doesn't. She's the same person, with all the same potential.

It'll just take a writer being creative and approaching her book differently than your usual street vigilante hero book. And an editor who lets this happen, of course.
    Agreed--hopefully Fawkes or whoever really picks up the book continues the thread that Gail established and have her become more of a hacker/tech-whiz. That would definitely help make her stand out a little more from the other bat-family books.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Even though I wasn't particularly enamored of this run like the last ones, no way it should have ended like this.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    As for all the other moaning about Gail getting informed by email, i've no idea why that's so offensive to everyone. It's the 21st century and that's how we communicate these days – there's nothing offensive about a written, private communication between employer and employee. Welcome to the future.
    Stuff and nonsense. Technology may change, but common courtesy doesn't (or shouldn't). Email is a wonderful communication tool, but it's also fairly impersonal. If an employee works on site, you owe them the common courtesy of telling them to their face. If they work off site, you owe them a phone call. Put on your big boy/girl pants and get it done.

I've been laid off by phone and broken up with via text message; and while I got my job back and didn't really mind the relationship ending, both were the wrong call.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Stuff and nonsense. Technology may change, but common courtesy doesn't (or shouldn't). Email is a wonderful communication tool, but it's also fairly impersonal. If an employee works on site, you owe them the common courtesy of telling them to their face. If they work off site, you owe them a phone call. Put on your big boy/girl pants and get it done.
    Hear, hear.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    It annoys me that Simone is always allowed to so easily play both sides of the fence.

Rucka is classy.
    Simone is something else entirely.
    Grow up.
    __

October: Batgirl at 34, 7th best-selling Batbook.

September: Batgirl at 29, 8th best-selling Batbook.

August: Batgirl at 38, 8th best-selling Batbook.

July: Batgirl at 36, 6th best-selling Batbook.

And so on . . .

You know fine well that November's chart placing is an anomaly because of the Joker appearance, so please don't pretend otherwise to make your point, we all know the truth. I think it's great that you support this book so much, i really do, but fantasy statements about "this kind of momentum" don't help your case at all.

As for all the other moaning about Gail getting informed by email, i've no idea why that's so offensive to everyone. It's the 21st century and that's how we communicate these days – there's nothing offensive about a written, private communication between employer and employee. Welcome to the future.
    For a writer that has been around since the beginning of DCNU and is such a HUGE name with the company, not some newb, it seems a face to face and an explanation would be the right thing to do. She has been givining Dc her all since well before the relaunch hype train and this is what the do to her. It's like once they used her to prove that they have female writers and that they are gender friendly they sent her packing. DC is becoming one hyp after another these days and it's really rubbing the fans of the creators the wrong way. As a creator myself I find the lack of respect DC has for it's workforce off putting. Why should any of us struggle through our own gigs to make it to the big show so that we can always look over our shoulder for when that mail comes down the line? I'm really glad for Jim Zubkavich landing his chance to shine brighter, even though I'm pretty sure Skullkickers is doing great at Image, I just hope they don't squeeze him so hard it hurts his creator owned stuff.

It's like they're afraid of the creator owned machine.

I've been laid off by phone and broken up with via text message; and while I got my job back and didn't really mind the relationship ending, both were the wrong call.

-D
    As both an employer and employee, i prefer private, personal, written communication. And that's what an email is. You say it's impersonal, i say bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    Hear, hear.
    How long till we start hearing about DC firing by text message?

"wrks bn gr8 sales r ^ heading n diff direction buh bye :-("

Quote Originally Posted by S_Rhoades View Post
    For a writer that has been around since the beginning of DCNU and is such a HUGE name with the company, not some newb, it seems a face to face and an explanation would be the right thing to do.
    Who said she wasn't given an explanation?

Exactly. I myself regularly send emails if say I'm applying for a job or whatever late at night so I can just go to bed and not deal with or think about/stress it. Dropping an email to fire someone is along the same vein of knowing you can say whatever you want, and not have to deal with a response immediately. If you're going to fire someone, do it face to face, or in this case (given locations) in real time on the phone.

Who said she wasn't given an explanation?
    Okay, how about proper notice (more than 3 days) and a valid reason?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That possibilty had crossed my mind, too.

But if that were the case, wouldn't Gail have said something about leaving DC instead of just about her being taken off Batgirl?

Maybe a return of . . .

Babs in prison?!?

Isn't there a Ray Fawkes Day in England because he tried to blow up Parliment or something?
    If Barbara does end up in prison is that the end of Batgirl or will someone else get to wear the cowl, so her identity is not exposed at the same time?

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

-D
    qft, how I feel about Gail's and your past situations!
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison