Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone got a WiiU?

So I was at Gamestop and they had plenty of WiiU's in stock and acted like they couldn't get rid of them. Now I'd thought new consoles were always hard to get during Christmas. So whats up is it any good?
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

That is cause they are meeting the demand, unlike the older systems, the only thing hard for nintendo to put into this console is the touch screen, but the Wii U is selling just as well as the Wii did during launch day, but I think if the wii meant demand, it would have sold more than the wii u is.

But, I have one, and while I like the system, Nintendo did stuff that they didn't tell us about, that sort of ticks me off. Like the screen is always streaming the game! You can't turn it off to save battery life, only if you're using a wii remote or gamepad pro, but once you touch it, it comes back on.

You have to make new accounts for every new player and they are all linked to the console....... which makes it pointless to make an account, so for every Mii you create, you need an account and even tho they are all on the same system and can't be moved to a new system, you can't even collect Club Nintendo points from the other accounts, which is lame to me.
    eShop can only be used with the touch screen, which again is lame if the batteries are dead and you have the other controllers that you want to use while it's charging.

Don't buy scribblenauts on it, that is for sure, it is played completely on the touch screen controller, you are paying more to get a few wii u features, which I don't think are worth it.
    New Super Mario Bros Wii U is awesome, probably the best in the NSMB series. But, sucks that Nintendo didn't allow the classic gamepad pro controllers to be used to play the game with.

ZombiU is pretty good, but not worth the hype like everyone made it to be, just wait for a price drop.

and Nintendoland is neat, but you won't play it like most did with Wii Sports, like I did.

I personally think that everyone should wait to see if they release a new version of the system in a year or 2, I can see them making a better controller with more battery life and a internal hard drive later on for the same price or cheaper.

Thanks for the reply. I've gotten past the need to by systems on launch but I was thinking about picking this up for the nephew. He seems content with the wii and 360 so I'll hold off.
    “When ambition ends, happiness begins.” Thomas Merton

I bought one for the kids for Christmas. They aren't expecting it, so it should make for a fun Christmas morning. I'm actually surprised how excited my wife is to play it.

Btw, parents, if you haven't already, try to hook it up beforehand or you and your kids will be disappointed Christmas morning. We hooked it up to make sure it worked. The instructions say to charge the tablet before running through the setup. That took a few hours. Then I went through the setup features and after I hooked it up to my wifi, it started to patch itself with a 3-4 hour long download with a downloader that showed you absolutely no information about how long its going to take. The guy at Gamestop warned me to not turn off the console when its updating or you might brick the device. Once it finished, it rebooted and downloaded another update and rebooted again. When I put in the disc for Super Mario, it downloaded another quick update but this time no reboot.

I watched an episode of Pach Attack on Gametrailers discussing why The Wii U wasn't selling out. Apparently it's Nintendo's plan and they've purposely cut down on their marketing for the console. They expect to sell out but not to create a mad buying frenzy.

The console from what I've seen looks... good fun but extremely flawed. I'd love to own one but I'll certainly be waiting for The Legend of Zelda and Mario 3D releases first.

Spider-Prime's only fan. spider-prime's Avatar

It's selling more than the Wii did during it's launch. But then their was a shortage of wiis during that time. So, who knows if it would have beaten it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
    It's selling more than the Wii did during it's launch. But then their was a shortage of wiis during that time. So, who knows if it would have beaten it or not.
    Yeah, Wiis were hard to get for almost an entire year.
    This time they gave enough out, probably because they need to make money.

I probably won't be getting one until there's a new Zelda or Smash Bros out. Most of the cool games on it have already been released on the PS3 or xbox.
    _______
    |____.._|
    _(_O_)_
    |______|

This happened with the original Wii as well. Release period is usually a bit dry, but once they show a few gameplays of awesome upcoming games, you'll start seeing Wii U's flying off the shelves. I've noticed that consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 (when released) seemed to have sold fuelled by its branding. People initially bought it because they were fans of the platforms, where as Wii started off selling slow, but gained masses of interest when a lot of the family based games were released.

I'd imagine once they show a new metroid or zelda for Wii U things will be the same.

About the only games I'm interested in from the WiiU are Zombies, Pikman, and Super Mario. Not worth the $300 for me. Which was why I got the PS Vita instead.
    My Yu-Gi-Oh! card
    My magic card
    Magic The Gathering: Evil Ryu

Fear me.
    And my serpent.

The Seven Sins of Star Wars

1: Yoda can beat God
    2: Blaster pistols can blow up planets
    3: Lighsabers are as hot as the sun
    4: Luke Skywalker can move black holes
    5: Star Destroyers can blow up planets
    6: Darth Sidious rips Superman's head off
    7: General Grevious has Force TK

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to anything. Nor is the new Clone Wars movie.

I never buy consoles near their launch, but I'm keeping my eye on this one. Really, the only options for me are Nintendo and Microsoft given that Sony deserves none of my money.

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

So a very large announcement. Most of it is unsurprising. A new HD Zelda is in the works, Smash Bros, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart are getting Wii-U releases. We all knew that.

Zelda: Wind Waker is getting an HD remake. That I didn't see coming. And since its my 2nd favorite Zelda, I'm very interested. I hope they do more then just make the graphics more pretty. Which they are more pretty. The screenshots are gorgeous.

A few other games too. Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei will no doubt excite fans of those fanchises. But a new RPG from the creators of Xenoblade also excited me.
    Last edited by Mike Pothier; 01-24-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

They said they are rethinking zelda, and then subtely hinted it would be the same game again but with multiplayer.

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Honestly, multiplayer does nothing for me, but the idea of them looking to the earliest games for inspiration does intrigue me. Making Zelda less linear is exactly what the next installation needs.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Don't plan on getting one, only Zelda and Mario, 4 games doesn't justify $300 in my book