Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Bleedingcool: JM DeMatteis To Co-Write Phantom Stranger

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/...ntom-stranger/

Although I thought the that last few issues of PS were enjoyable, DeMatteis collaborating with writing duties will improve the title's quality inmensely.

Plus, I'm sure this will reduce the number of whiners. Everybody wins!

Darn it. They just hooked me. Darn it darn it darn it.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Eh. This does nothing to excite me for the title, but pretty much by default the writing should improve dramatically. The writing on this book has been HORRIBLE. Too late for me to care now.

Also the new concept for the character sucks, so unless they basically just scrapped everything the first few issues did and started from scratch, I don't think I would enjoy the book no matter how well it was scripted.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

This will definitely improve the book. Question is, by how much? By enough?
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

As long as its going odd Didio's plot, there's a problem. All the scripting in the world won't be able to shake the feeling that the book is just giving us random events that have nothing to do with each other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    All the scripting in the world won't be able to shake the feeling that the book is just giving us random events that have nothing to do with each other.
    You mean, like most ongoing books or TV shows or movie franchises?

It's an interesting choice. Phantom Stranger would seem to be right in DeMatteis' wheelhouse, but I am a little concerned that he may bog the title down in his New Age-y preoccupations. (Although, to be frank, that would be an improvement to what we've been getting.) It does put PS on my radar again.

As long as its going odd Didio's plot, there's a problem. All the scripting in the world won't be able to shake the feeling that the book is just giving us random events that have nothing to do with each other.
    OMAC was great.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's an interesting choice. Phantom Stranger would seem to be right in DeMatteis' wheelhouse, but I am a little concerned that he may bog the title down in his New Age-y preoccupations. (Although, to be frank, that would be an improvement to what we've been getting.) It does put PS on my radar again.
    My thought as well. He's really putting forth the same philosophy over and over again. But hey, it's more depth than what we've gotten thus far.

Exactly. 10chars

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Exactly. 10chars
    Lets be Honest Didio with a Co-writer is the usually the best way to go. Look at OMAC? The damn thing was wonderful between Giffen and Didio. and Didio has been doing a surprisingly good job of late on Phantom stranger. It really can only get better. Also Even if teh writing was bad The covers of Phantom Stranger sell the damn thing like crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    Lets be Honest Didio with a Co-writer is the usually the best way to go. Look at OMAC? The damn thing was wonderful between Giffen and Didio. and Didio has been doing a surprisingly good job of late on Phantom stranger. It really can only get better. Also Even if teh writing was bad The covers of Phantom Stranger sell the damn thing like crack.
    I didn't like OMAC, I didn't get the appeal of it at all. I thought it was kind of stupid and tremendously overrated. But it was certainly better than Phantom Stranger has been.

Phantom Stranger's covers have been cool but I can't justify buying a book based on covers, especially now that I read all my comics digitally.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I didn't like OMAC, I didn't get the appeal of it at all. I thought it was kind of stupid and tremendously overrated. But it was certainly better than Phantom Stranger has been.

Phantom Stranger's covers have been cool but I can't justify buying a book based on covers, especially now that I read all my comics digitally.
    You didn't love OMAC? It was Old School Throwback Comic with alot of Humor that Paid Homage to the last OMAC series. It was Just said to see it get cut when it was getting so better each issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    You didn't love OMAC? It was Old School Throwback Comic with alot of Humor that Paid Homage to the last OMAC series. It was Just said to see it get cut when it was getting so better each issue!
    I thought the art was aesthetically hideous (I don't like Giffen's art) and it was just a blatant Kirby pastiche; I'd rather read actual Kirby comics if I wanted that. I didn't really find the humor funny and the character felt like a Hulk ripoff. It just wasn't for me.

Well not that it needed confirming, but Newsarama just posted the solicit. JMD starts in March. Also, that Lady Luck character is finally (still) showing up.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dema....com+comics%29